Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Interference by Google in the election

OverSword

33 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

There are plenty of places to turn. Their product might not be as nice but the consumer can go elsewhere.

Yes, you can drive a Yugo instead of a Maserati.

8 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

But a private company manipulating data in order to influence an election? 

First I simply dont buy that they're manipulating data to influence an election. Second even if they were can you explain how and how thats different than news organizations capturing and killing stories on Trump's behalf?

7 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Yes, you can drive a Yugo instead of a Maserati.

But you can drive that Yugo, you dont have to use that Maserati. Thats the point you do have options.

So again the bottom line here is Trump and his supporters dont like the reality that their ideology isnt supremely popular and want to force some sort of "fairness doctrine" on the internet.

Literally cheering for regulation after spending years railing against regulation.

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

Did I not explain that before?

its equally bad, but you EXPECT Fox News to be right wing, you expect WaPo to be left wing. You do not expect something designed solely to retrieve website addresses based upon your search inquiry to be biased.

• Like 1

And by “Fairness” do you mean “not excluding results that match the requested search parameters”? Because, yes if that’s going on because of political bias there does need to be an inquiry.

8 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

its equally bad, but you EXPECT Fox News to be right wing, you expect WaPo to be left wing. You do not expect something designed solely to retrieve website addresses based upon your search inquiry to be biased.

You expect the search engine to be neutral yet all it takes is one Tweet from Trump saying the opposite and you are all ready to push for an investigation? Did you do any googling that day? I did as did tonsof other authors who documented their searches. Foxnews was in the top three on  just about very single search that was done and they pretty much always are for me.

Again Trump says its "possibly" happening and people get on board as if he isnt an absolutely renowned liar and egomaniac.

6 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

And by “Fairness” do you mean “not excluding results that match the requested search parameters”? Because, yes if that’s going on because of political bias there does need to be an inquiry.

No I was referring to something leftists used to try and push regarding AM radio here in the US. Left wing radio just doesnt sell well and back in the 90's they tried a couple of different attempts at forcing equal time on the radio because right wing talk dominated the airwaves.

Edited by Farmer77

Equal time not fairness.

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

There are plenty of places to turn. Their product might not be as nice but the consumer can go elsewhere.

Thats exactly what im saying. I know you think hes a great guy, but even if he is, he isnt always going to be there. By cheering on the POTUS pushing the trivial use of government resources because his ego is bruised you're setting the stage for totalitarianism. 

Again this whole thing is based off of a right wing news segment which was done on an absurdly biased right wing opinion piece. Not facts.

What are you talking about? It’s based on internal communications at google not right wing conspiracy theories.

46 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Trump’s a twit who, if reports are to be believed, is being subverted, undermined and countermanded at every turn. Therefore on the whole, not an issue. He’s all sound and empty fury. 

But a private company manipulating data in order to influence an election? 

THAT is an issue that needs to be addressed.

You’ll never get him to admit it as long as google was working against trump. He seems incapable of logical neutral thinking. TDS. It’s real.

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

What are you talking about? It’s based on internal communications at google not right wing conspiracy theories.

Nah Trump watched an episode of Lou Dobbs and parroted the right wing propaganda that was aired.

Trump's anti-Google tweets show that he doesn't know how the internet works

Edited by Farmer77

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

You’ll never get him to admit it as long as google was working against trump. He seems incapable of logical neutral thinking. TDS. It’s real.

No if proven ill totally admit it. I simply don't believe they did anything wrong to warrant the use of government resources. You dont have to use google, just like you dont have to read the national enquirer who we know engaged in the exact behavior as Google is being accused of ....yet weirdly conservatives arent screaming about them.

Why do conservatives believe that bakers can choose what they want to do with their business but not Google?

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Nah Trump watched an episode of Lou Dobbs and parroted the right wing propaganda that was aired.

Check the op. It’s not based on tweets from anyone. Take Trump out of your filter for crying out loud. This isn’t about trump. 

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Why do conservatives believe that bakers can choose what they want to do with their business but not Google?

I’m a liberal. 

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Check the op. It’s not based on tweets from anyone. Take Trump out of your filter for crying out loud. This isn’t about trump. 

I read and half watched the OP it was posted two weeks after Trump's post lou dobbs twitter tantrum and Kudlow's saying they were going to "look into Google"

In other words the propaganda machine was dutifully doing its job for the leader.

Edited by Farmer77

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I’m a liberal. 

I would have pinned you as closer to libertarian. But my question still stands for everyone else pushing for government investigations into google.

As does my point about Trump supporting capture and kill stories about himself. The fact that people know he does this and yet are screaming about google is really kinda creepy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Thats exactly what im saying. I know you think hes a great guy, but even if he is, he isnt always going to be there. By cheering on the POTUS pushing the trivial use of government resources because his ego is bruised you're setting the stage for totalitarianism. 

Again this whole thing is based off of a right wing news segment which was done on an absurdly biased right wing opinion piece. Not facts.

There is no place to turn. All these companies combined control like 97% of the internet. 

Then those same same companies will pressure other companies to abandon people. Good luck selling a product when you have no way to receive payment. 

This isn’t even close to a conspiracy. This is absolutely happening.  YouTube has demoted every person I listen to. Twitter has banned and shadow banned millions. Google has absolutely tweeked search results. I can’t find several articles I know for a fact existed during the election. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I would have pinned you as closer to libertarian. But my question still stands for everyone else pushing for government investigations into google.

As does my point about Trump supporting capture and kill stories about himself. The fact that people know he does this and yet are screaming about google is really kinda creepy.

That’s cause our other option is the climate accord, and the TPP. Forget that. If Trump wants to be a little creepy, God bless him. 

1 minute ago, preacherman76 said:

There is no place to turn. All these companies combined control like 97% of the internet. 

The Founder of DuckDuckGo Explains Why Challenging Google Isn't Insane Yes there is. You can choose to take your business elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Then those same same companies will pressure other companies to abandon people. Good luck selling a product when you have no way to receive payment. 

Again , everybody loves capitalism until they realize their ideas arent winners in the marketplace, then its "government must intervene" ....as you said to me "what have you done with my friend"?

2 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

This isn’t even close to a conspiracy. This is absolutely happening.  YouTube has demoted every person I listen to. 

Because they didnt obey the youtube guidelines. They can take their business to Vimeo BUT if they werent offensive they wouldnt have to be. That's the worst part about Trump America. Conservatives have given up on civility and want to play the victim because normal society doesnt put up with it.

5 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Google has absolutely tweeked search results. I can’t find several articles I know for a fact existed during the election. 

There are 101 different reasons why you cant find articles. That in no way means the search results have been tweaked due to politics.

6 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

That’s cause our other option is the climate accord, and the TPP. Forget that. If Trump wants to be a little creepy, God bless him. 

Again, what did you do with my friend?

Trump's not being creepy you are by allowing a man at the head of our government who you know censors information play the victim and use government resources to try and further censor information. Thats the first step in dictatorship amigo and you are rooting it on.

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

RI would have pinned you as closer to libertarian. But my question still stands for everyone else pushing for government investigations into google.

I am a libertarian. How does it get more liberal than than believing people should make their own choices with minimal interference from government?

But on topic, calling for measures to be taken so that information companies or foreign governments not interfere in our elections makes sense. Google is not the same thing as a news agency and I’m tired of hearing that comparison. If google wants to work towards political ends then that changes what it is supposed to be. At that point it  becomes an agent. In the big picture a company like google is a brand new concept and all that I’m calling for is making legal descriptions of what it’s allowed to do as far reworking their algorithms in order to influence public opinion. I’ll go so far that outside of advertisement it should not be allowed to influence public opinion especially as far as our election process is concerned. How many non US citizens are high ranking google officials? A lot I’ll wager. Pretty sure one of the main names on those memos was a woman from India.

please try to be logical.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

But on topic, calling for measures to be taken so that information companies or foreign governments not interfere in our elections makes sense.

In a vacuum yes it does make sense to find our moral and legal boundaries with information companies. Targeting specific companies because they dont say enough nice things about the POTUS however is flat out anti american and im sorry but the cat is out of the bag thanks to twitter, that is what is happening here.

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Google is not the same thing as a news agency and I’m tired of hearing that comparison. If google wants to work towards political ends then that changes what it is supposed to be.

So then you'll be starting a thread about how TMZ should register as a political agent?  I get that youre tired of hearing the comparison but the bottom line is you care about information being suppressed or you dont.  For the government to target those on one side who are "possibly" doing it while not targeting those on the other who we know are doing it is a slippery ass slope I just cant support

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

In the big picture a company like google is a brand new concept and all that I’m calling for is making legal descriptions of what it’s allowed to do as far reworking their algorithms in order to influence public opinion. I’ll go so far that outside of advertisement it should not be allowed to influence public opinion especially as far as our election process is concerned. How many non US citizens are high ranking google officials? A lot I’ll wager. Pretty sure one of the main names on those memos was a woman from India.

Again I agree that some broad foundations need to be laid but the reality is Foxnews is always in the top three when I google a news story and I do not see justification for targeting them.

@OverSword

Have you actually read the email that the moron in the video was talking about?

“We worked very hard. Many people did. We pushed to get out the Latino vote with our features, our partners, and our voices. We kept our Googley efforts non-partisan and followed our company’s protocols for the elections strategy,” the email begins. “We emphasized our mission to give Latinos access to information so they can make an informed decision at the polls, and we feel very grateful for all the support to do this important work.”

At the end of the email, the author wrote that Latino Googlers are “probably hurting right now” and that the election results are “tough to handle now that we know not all of us were against this.”

The Google executive acknowledges that Latinos, long considered the “sleeping giant” of American politics thanks to the country’s rapidly shifting demographics, did vote in record-breaking numbers and turned out early—but a significant percentage supported Trump instead of Hillary Clinton.

“Ultimately, after all was said and one [sic], the Latino community did come out to vote, and completely surprised us. We never anticipated that 29% of Latinos would vote for Trump. No one did,” the executive wrote.

Holy hell talk about propaganda from the masters at foxnews. Their boss said look into google so they went to work creating the impression it should happen.

What a garbage piece Tucker Carlson put together there.

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 2

On 9/20/2018 at 6:58 PM, Farmer77 said:

I saw the headline and thought its possible, then I saw "Alex Jones Lite" was the one peddling the information.

I clearly should have just listened to my gut.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

prop·a·gan·da
ˌpräpəˈɡandə/
noun
noun: propaganda; noun: Propaganda
  1. 1.
    derogatory
    information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.
    "he was charged with distributing enemy propaganda"
    synonyms: information, promotion, advertising, publicity, spin; More

2 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Again, what did you do with my friend?

Trump's not being creepy you are by allowing a man at the head of our government who you know censors information play the victim and use government resources to try and further censor information. Thats the first step in dictatorship amigo and you are rooting it on.

Buying stories about sexual affairs hardly makes him a dictator. It isn’t even close to the first step. 

The first step would be silencing political opposition, much the way these companies are doing right now. 

I never cared about tabloid BS. I care about stopping globalism. I’d go much further then supporting Trump to stop it. 

Just now, preacherman76 said:

Buying stories about sexual affairs hardly makes him a dictator. It isn’t even close to the first step. 

The first step would be silencing political opposition, much the way these companies are doing right now. 

I never cared about tabloid BS. I care about stopping globalism. I’d go much further then supporting Trump to stop it. 

Did you read the text of the email that this whole thread is based on?  Its about voter turnout not data manipulation. 

Trump said he wanted an investigation into google and foxnews went to work creating the impression that he isnt bat **** crazy for asking for one.

We worked very hard. Many people did. We pushed to get out the Latino vote with our features, our partners, and our voices. We kept our Googley efforts non-partisan and followed our company’s protocols for the elections strategy,” the email begins. “We emphasized our mission to give Latinos access to information so they can make an informed decision at the polls, and we feel very grateful for all the support to do this important work.”

At the end of the email, the author wrote that Latino Googlers are “probably hurting right now” and that the election results are “tough to handle now that we know not all of us were against this.”

The Google executive acknowledges that Latinos, long considered the “sleeping giant” of American politics thanks to the country’s rapidly shifting demographics, did vote in record-breaking numbers and turned out early—but a significant percentage supported Trump instead of Hillary Clinton.

“Ultimately, after all was said and one [sic], the Latino community did come out to vote, and completely surprised us. We never anticipated that 29% of Latinos would vote for Trump. No one did,” the executive wrote.

The piece in the OP is nothing more than propaganda.