Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is BabyX?

Kismit

BabyX is a project of Auckland's Bioengineering Institute Laboratory for Animate Technologies,[1] for the creation of a virtual animated baby that learns and reacts like a human baby. It uses the computer's cameras for "seeing" and microphones to "listen" as the inputs. The computer uses Artificial intelligencealgorithms for BabyX's "learning" and interpretation of the inputs (voice and image) to understand the situation.

Wiki:

BabyX is a super cool animation which interacts and learns. It has a detailed brain model. Which is active and can listen and learn.

This is seriously one of the most interesting psychological studies currently happening. Well worth following and keeping an eye on.

• Like 2

is this creepy? 

• Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Only a little. :ph34r:

Try to imagine what it will be like in a couple of decades...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, and then said:

Try to imagine what it will be like in a couple of decades...

You may want to have a good look at the research. There are several control factors which can be altered at any tome, to look at Child Development.

For instance in normal mode she becomes upset if she is ignored. However if you turn down her earliest interactions so that she is essentially underdeveloped,  she no longer interacts or cares.

In short each interaction can be reset and duplicated under different types of situations.  She won't be growing and developing, she will be used as a simulation.

Really is very interesting. 

• Like 3

Will she be sitting in a bedroom playing computer games eating crisps and sweets or have a facebook account which are not being monitored? 

Will she be watching youtube videos about slenderman and other like stories and believe everything she sees and reads? 

Just trying to establish how real this will be in comparison with many of our children? 

• Haha 1

Much better than experimenting with real human babies and children.  Didn’t someone, back in the 50s or 60s maybe, either propose to bring up a baby in isolation to see what happened, or actually start such a project but then abandoned it, perhaps for reasons of conscience.  I do have a memory of seeing something of this, a short film item on TV, about a glass tank a baby could be cared for in but with no sound or touch connections.  But then was it a memory of a film (fictional story)?

• Like 1

It used to be fun ...

~

[00.04:33]

~

Seems that its still some fun there to the genre  ...

[00.02:51]

~

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Susanc241 said:

Much better than experimenting with real human babies and children.  Didn’t someone, back in the 50s or 60s maybe, either propose to bring up a baby in isolation to see what happened, or actually start such a project but then abandoned it, perhaps for reasons of conscience.  I do have a memory of seeing something of this, a short film item on TV, about a glass tank a baby could be cared for in but with no sound or touch connections.  But then was it a memory of a film (fictional story)?

A researcher named Kellog (sic) tried raising his infant with a chimp to see if the chimp would act more human. The baby started acting like a chimp. :lol:

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Susanc241 said:

Yes, there was an experiment in the 50s (or 40s?), when children were brought up in isolation. They were fed and cleaned and that was about it; their 'carers' didn't talk to them or act affectionately with them. They had no interaction with anyone else. 

20 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Yes, there was an experiment in the 50s (or 40s?), when children were brought up in isolation. They were fed and cleaned and that was about it; their 'carers' didn't talk to them or act affectionately with them. They had no interaction with anyone else. 

Jeeze.....if any of those 'carers' o people involved in the experiment are still alive, they should all be put in prison.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

A researcher named Kellog (sic) tried raising his infant with a chimp to see if the chimp would act more human. The baby started acting like a chimp. :lol:

Yes, now you mention that, I think that was what I was remembering.  Thanks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Susanc241 said:

Yes, now you mention that, I think that was what I was remembering.  Thanks.

I remember my brother (who is a director of a pediatric clinic) discussing feral children and how it might happen and he talked about this experiment. I was going to Google it during lunch.