Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did MI6 assassinate people ?

RoofGardener

57 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

I will find time to watch the video, RabidMongoose. However, I would note that this appears to be talking about the army.  (and their Military Intelligence branch) rather than the civilian Security Services.

We dont have civilian security services besides the police. The video is about military intelligence (MI5/6) telling them to do it.

Edited by RabidMongoose

11 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

We dont have civilian security services besides the police. The video is about military intelligence (MI5/6) telling them to do it.

That isn't correct, RabidMongoose. It is true that the old names of MI5 and MI6 where "Military Intelligence".. but those descriptions where abandoned in the 1930's when the organisations where removed from the military and put under civilian/civil-service control.  

Neither of the organisations - nor GCHQ - are part of the military. MI5 comes under the control of the Home Secretary, and Sis/GCHQ under the remit of the Foreign Secretary. The Security Service is regulated by the terms of the  Security Service Act 1989, along with a number of parliamentary committees. The Secret Intelligence Service is regulated by they Intelligence Services Act 1994. 

MI5 agents are not armed, and have no power of arrest, detention or interrogation . When MI5 agents want to arrest a spy or terrorist, they have to arrange for a number of regular policemen to accompany them in order to make the actual arrest, and the arrestees are held and questioned by the police, just like any other criminal. (though I suspect a Security Service agent may be present during the questioning).  

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

That isn't correct, RabidMongoose. It is true that the old names of MI5 and MI6 where "Military Intelligence".. but those descriptions where abandoned in the 1930's when the organisations where removed from the military and put under civilian/civil-service control.  

Neither of the organisations - nor GCHQ - are part of the military. MI5 comes under the control of the Home Secretary, and Sis/GCHQ under the remit of the Foreign Secretary. The Security Service is regulated by the terms of the  Security Service Act 1989, along with a number of parliamentary committees. The Secret Intelligence Service is regulated by they Intelligence Services Act 1994. 

MI5 agents are not armed, and have no power of arrest, detention or interrogation . When MI5 agents want to arrest a spy or terrorist, they have to arrange for a number of regular policemen to accompany them in order to make the actual arrest, and the arrestees are held and questioned by the police, just like any other criminal. (though I suspect a Security Service agent may be present during the questioning).  

I dont see them as a civilian security service but military intelligence agency. One that is made out of bright people recruited at university, high performing police and special branch officers, and ex-forces who worked in intelligence roles. Anything MOD is not civilian even if they arent carrying arms or dont have arrest powers themselves.

2 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

I dont see them as a civilian security service but military intelligence agency. One that is made out of bright people recruited at university, high performing police and special branch officers, and ex-forces who worked in intelligence roles. Anything MOD is not civilian even if they arent carrying arms or dont have arrest powers themselves.

Indeed RabidMongoose... but.. here's the thing. 

Neither the Security Service, the Secret Intelligence Service, nor GCHQ are part of the MOD. They are entirely separate organisations; one reporting to the Home Secretary, the other two to the Foreign Secretary. They are civilian government departments. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Indeed RabidMongoose... but.. here's the thing. 

Neither the Security Service, the Secret Intelligence Service, nor GCHQ are part of the MOD. They are entirely separate organisations; one reporting to the Home Secretary, the other two to the Foreign Secretary. They are civilian government departments. 

Great, but that doesnt change the fact that several sources (and plenty more of those videos out there) that say yes we have popped people off in the past particularly IRA members.

• Like 1

MI5 agents are not armed. They have no power of arrest or detention. They are information gatherers.

There are video's out there that claim that UFO's have landed and taken control of the worlds governments. In THEIR world, I'm sure that MI5 have been assassinating people every day before breakfast. 

In the REAL world, however, it is simply not true :) 

Mi6 may have hired non agents in the past to do assisnations maybe criminals or bounty hunters. We cant ask any anyone about what the agents do as they need to lie even what they do with family members

1 hour ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

. We cant ask any anyone about what the agents do as they need to lie even what they do with family members

Which raises the question then: how do you know that?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There was an article on the bbc i think about a former mi6 agent, they dont do what 007 does but its all top secret. If i can find it ill post it