Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Scudbuster

Religion........ and its Deep Roots of Fear

1,565 posts in this topic

Scudbuster

This short video defines it quite effectively - the pure fallacy of this "god": 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

XenoFish

The first government was religion. Created by megalomaniacs to control others and rule by fear.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

White Crane Feather
11 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

This short video defines it quite effectively - the pure fallacy of this "god": 

Hahha well the Christians here in suburbia America don’t act that way, and they are highly successful leaders I don’t know what to tell you when ****ty generalizations crowd your thinking. ( I’m not a Christian)

• Like 2

sci-nerd

Wonder of origin should be for those who investigated the universe, and found all its tells. Those who are amazed about 1/137 and the first living cell.

But instead it's about ancient beliefs. That is a shame.

• Like 3

Scudbuster
39 minutes ago, White Crane Feather said:

Hahha well the Christians here in suburbia America don’t act that way, and they are highly successful leaders I don’t know what to tell you when ****ty generalizations crowd your thinking. ( I’m not a Christian)

HaHaHa - I bet they all act this way:

• Haha 1

Habitat

Right, well you don't like those kind of religious stories, so just move on to something else. Some don't like anchovies on their pizza, but they don't stand outside the pizza parlour, with placards denouncing their unpalatability. So, the question you need ask, is, why haven't you shuffled along ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Habitat
1 hour ago, Scudbuster said:

- the pure fallacy of this "god": 

All well and good, you dispensed with that idea of God as being ridiculous, but what does that have to do with what might be the "real" God ? Now you can put your big-boy pants on, and try and find out, rather than linger over something you have deemed unrealistic.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Scudbuster
1 minute ago, Habitat said:

All well and good, you dispensed with that idea of God as being ridiculous, but what does that have to do with what might be the "real" God ? Now you can put your big-boy pants on, and try and find out, rather than linger over something you have deemed unrealistic.

Oh, yes, now which one might you be talking about...? I might need some help here......

There are over 5,000 gods.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Habitat
5 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

I might need some help here

Indeed, the instructions are, follow your nose. Imagine God is like an enchanting aroma, whenever you get a slight whiff, see if you can trace back to the source. If nothing excites your sense, then don't bother to look.

Edited by Habitat
  • Like 2

XenoFish

God is nothing more than an idea. No matter what god we're talking about. Something constructed by humanity out of the need to believe.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

papageorge1
5 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Right, the OP creates a straw man and then beats it up. I was not impressed either.

A more interesting discussion would be about more sophisticated God concepts.

• Thanks 1

XenoFish

Indeed, the instructions are, follow your nose. Imagine God is like an enchanting aroma, whenever you get a slight whiff, see if you can trace bank to the source. If nothing excites your senses, then don't bother to look.

Same thing can be said for a fart.

• Haha 3

Habitat
1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Same thing can be said for a fart.

Exactly the opposite, in fact, most head away from the source, but if you prefer otherwise......

• Haha 3

and then
1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Right, the OP creates a straw man and then beats it up. I was not impressed either.

A more interesting discussion would be about more sophisticated God concepts.

Since I've been here at UM I've met several people who are seriously invested, I'd say almost obsessed, with hating any concept of a Creator God.  It seems like an odd thing to use to bolster one's self-esteem.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

XenoFish

Exactly the opposite, in fact, most head away from the source, but if you prefer otherwise......

What I smell coming off you might require a hazmat suit. 

Habitat
Just now, XenoFish said:

What I smell coming off you might require a hazmat suit. 

Again, you seem 180 degrees off course.

• Like 1

XenoFish
1 minute ago, and then said:

Since I've been here at UM I've met several people who are seriously invested, I'd say almost obsessed, with hating any concept of a Creator God.  It seems like an odd thing to use to bolster one's self-esteem.  

How many people on average do you think are damaged by religious ideologies? 1 out of every 10 people? More? If someone is given a guilt complex due to the idea that god will punish them for anything and everything they do. And they commit suicide because of this. What good has religion done for them? What good has it done to those so indoctrinated that they willfully blow themselves up for their religious belief?

• Like 3

XenoFish
2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Again, you seem 180 degrees off course.

Nah, I'm right on target. 

• Haha 1

Habitat
3 minutes ago, and then said:

No doubt it can be explained, by the science of psychology. I doubt the allegedly science-loving personalities mentioned, would accept it, though.

• Like 2

and then
1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

How many people on average do you think are damaged by religious ideologies? 1 out of every 10 people? More? If someone is given a guilt complex due to the idea that god will punish them for anything and everything they do. And they commit suicide because of this. What good has religion done for them? What good has it done to those so indoctrinated that they willfully blow themselves up for their religious belief?

Hate Him on your own time, you don't need any help from me.  Have a nice life - if you can figure out how...

XenoFish
1 minute ago, and then said:

Hate Him on your own time, you don't need any help from me.  Have a nice life - if you can figure out how...

I can't hate something I don't believe in. I just find the whole idea of god to be a projection of the parent dynamic. A surrogate father/mother figure that some people need. A magical placebo that they for some reason believe in. 

• Like 2

Habitat
5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Probably far fewer than have been damaged by political ideologies, one way or another, but hey, this is about bashing religion, not about what causes the most harm !

• Like 2

Habitat
10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Nah, I'm right on target. 

The ultimate argument from authority !

• Like 2

XenoFish
4 minutes ago, Habitat said:

this is about bashing religion

You're not religious are so you've said. So why do you even care. 

• Like 1