Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Scudbuster

Religion........ and its Deep Roots of Fear

4,463 posts in this topic

Habitat
Just now, XenoFish said:

You're not religious are so you've said. So why do you even care. 

I'm not religious in the sense of wanting part of any organized religion, but I have nothing against those that do. I just think we live in a time and culture that almost mocks people that do, but I am not living in the USA, where people are more overtly "religious".

• Like 1

Habitat
1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

Wonder of origin should be for those who investigated the universe, and found all its tells. Those who are amazed about 1/137 and the first living cell.

But instead it's about ancient beliefs. That is a shame.

1/137 ? Sounds like a cricket score ! What are you talking about ?

XenoFish
3 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I'm not religious in the sense of wanting part of any organized religion, but I have nothing against those that do. I just think we live in a time and culture that almost mocks people that do, but I am not living in the USA, where people are more overtly "religious".

I don't care what people believe for the most part. But I've been on the receiving end of "God's love". So I do hate religion. I hate it because people use it to justify harming others. It's a money making cult with willful sheep who do what they're told for a little slice of heaven. I hate it when religious ideologies are forced onto people who don't want it. People stupidly worship the pope as if he is god made flesh. Sheep, shepherds, and slaughterhouses.

Then you have to crazies. Those who can't separate their spiritual/religious beliefs from reality. Those who are overly optimistic. Those who think they have some great cosmic secret but are doing nothing more than speculating. When people say "God did this, god did that" no. It's either a coincidence or you (as in them) actually did it. I can see the actual psychological benefits of believing in such things. But I can also see the cons of it too. Wishful thinking, magical thinking, blind optimism. 

Can you just imagine the conversation Isaac had with dear old dad coming back down the mountain? Daddy was schizo.

• Like 4

Habitat
1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I don't care what people believe for the most part. But I've been on the receiving end of "God's love". So I do hate religion. I hate it because people use it to justify harming others. It's a money making cult with willful sheep who do what they're told for a little slice of heaven. I hate it when religious ideologies are forced onto people who don't want it. People stupidly worship the pope as if he is god made flesh. Sheep, shepherds, and slaughterhouses.

Then you have to crazies. Those who can't separate their spiritual/religious beliefs from reality. Those who are overly optimistic. Those who think they have some great cosmic secret but are doing nothing more than speculating. When people say "God did this, god did that" no. It's either a coincidence or you (as in them) actually did it. I can see the actual psychological benefits of believing in such things. But I can also see the cons of it too. Wishful thinking, magical thinking, blind optimism. 

Can you just imagine the conversation Isaac had with dear old dad coming back down the mountain? Daddy was schizo.

people do get wrapped up in all sorts of ideologies, ratbag identifications etc, but the common factor, is the more unrealistic they are, the more harmful they are, it really isn't anything confined to religion. Blatant racism is harmful, because at bottom, it is unrealistic, all manner of chauvinisms, are unrealistic, religious fundamentalism is unrealistic. The seeker after truth, has first to honour truth, above all else.

XenoFish
3 minutes ago, Habitat said:

people do get wrapped up in all sorts of ideologies, ratbag identifications etc, but the common factor, is the more unrealistic they are, the more harmful they are, it really isn't anything confined to religion. Blatant racism is harmful, because at bottom, it is unrealistic, all manner of chauvinisms, are unrealistic, religious fundamentalism is unrealistic. The seeker after truth, has first to honour truth, above all else.

The truth is that everything is a lie. Society, religion, money, it's all just an illusion. Even the rules we play by. 

• Like 3

Scudbuster
51 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Right, the OP creates a straw man and then beats it up. I was not impressed either.

No straw man whatsoever - just a statement of facts about things of a religious nature in general.

• Like 1

Habitat

The truth is that everything is a lie. Society, religion, money, it's all just an illusion. Even the rules we play by. 

There has to be illusion, to make the word "real", real !  The world isn't all sham, but those who decide it is, and "go with the flow", as they see it, do so to their own detriment. You have to be true to what you think is right. These are not modern day problems, it has ever been thus.   As Confucius said, " the inferior man knows what will sell, the superior man knows what is right"

• Like 2

Scudbuster
56 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Indeed, the instructions are, follow your nose. Imagine God is like an enchanting aroma, whenever you get a slight whiff, see if you can trace back to the source. If nothing excites your sense, then don't bother to look.

I've tried that...its all failed basic fact checking.....and all I've seen is fear, ignorance, greed, slavery, child abuse, misogyny etc etc

God - Fear Based Concept.jpg

Edited by Scudbuster
  • Haha 1

Habitat
1 minute ago, Scudbuster said:

No straw man whatsoever - just a statement of facts about things of a religious nature in general.

But not all. There is gold amongst much dross.

Habitat

I've tried that...its all failed basic fact checking. 

Try again.

Scudbuster
2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Try again.

I think you might want to dig a little deeper..........don't be afraid....

• Like 1

Habitat

I think you might want to dig a little deeper..........don't be afraid....

Cast the net wider, the fish is there.

• Like 1

XenoFish
4 minutes ago, Habitat said:

There has to be illusion, to make the word "real", real !  The world isn't all sham, but those who decide it is, and "go with the flow", as they see it, do so to their own detriment. You have to be true to what you think is right. These are not modern day problems, it has ever been thus.   As Confucius said, " the inferior man knows what will sell, the superior man knows what is right"

Even right and wrong are opinions. People will find whatever reason to justify anything. Nothing is real. The only thing that's stopping utter chaos is the sheep. Too many people wake up and boom, it ends. All of it. The problem with that is a new illusion will be created, a new false order. Same cycle, over and over again.

• Like 1

Habitat
2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Even right and wrong are opinions. People will find whatever reason to justify anything. Nothing is real. The only thing that's stopping utter chaos is the sheep. Too many people wake up and boom, it ends. All of it. The problem with that is a new illusion will be created, a new false order. Same cycle, over and over again.

The fundamental rules still apply, as times go by. I like the philosophy of the poet who wrote.....

"Life is mostly froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone,
KINDNESS in another's trouble,
COURAGE in your own."

• Like 1

XenoFish

My only hope is nihilism. 

Habitat

Or a good holiday ! Something to blow the cobwebs out. We all get stale from time to time.

Edited by Habitat
  • Like 1

XenoFish
6 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Or a good holiday ! Something to blow the cobwebs out. We all get stale from time to time.

What are the first three letter of assume? Don't make yourself one. 

• Haha 1

Habitat
20 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Nothing is real. 

It really doesn't make much sense, that, does it ? Is that statement real ? It cannot be, because...…."Nothing is real."

Scudbuster
21 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Cast the net wider, the fish is there.

Not likely...religion has sucked in many over the years.  What was that quote by Seneca..? I believe it went: "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" 

And as Robert G. Ingersoll said: "Atheism is what happens when you read the bible. Christianity is what happens when somebody else reads it for you."  

• Like 2

Habitat
5 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

Not likely...religion has sucked in many over the years.  What was that quote by Seneca..? I believe it went: "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" 

And as Robert G. Ingersoll said: "Atheism is what happens when you read the bible. Christianity is what happens when somebody else reads it for you."  

All very clever, but I don't think you are convinced they are entirely right, and maybe they weren't either ! But the "kernel" of truth doesn't likely resemble what people commonly understand by the word "religion".

Habitat
28 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You are just "world weary" Play this a few times...………

• Like 1

Scudbuster
30 minutes ago, Habitat said:

All very clever, but I don't think you are convinced they are entirely right, and maybe they weren't either ! But the "kernel" of truth doesn't likely resemble what people commonly understand by the word "religion".

Oh, I'd say I'm pretty much 100% convinced. :D

Habitat
11 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

Oh, I'd say I'm pretty much 100% convinced. :D

By whom ? those that echo your pre-conceived notions ? Or you own experience, which is only the tiniest fraction of human experience ? You should put a stay on any such decisions, they are completely unnecessary.

Edited by Habitat

Scudbuster
4 minutes ago, Habitat said:

By whom ? those that echo your pre-conceived notions ? Or you own experience, which is only the tiniest fraction of human experience ?

By everything I've ever seen, experienced, heard about, read about etc - and my net is cast wide to include the experiences of others, it's not restricted to only my eyes/ears. 

Habitat
3 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

By everything I've ever seen, experienced, heard about, read about etc - and my net is cast wide to include the experiences of others, it's not restricted to only my eyes/ears. 

Be prepared to learn otherwise. That preparation is easy, just don't deem yourself up to judging what may, or may not be.

Edited by Habitat