Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Scudbuster

Religion........ and its Deep Roots of Fear

4,463 posts in this topic

Nostrodumbass
2 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

My imaginary friend is better than your imaginary friend.

You want truth? Yahweh the God of the Bible is a man made deity. Strange that your god also fits this definition of Satan.

Do not mistake me for someone who thinks the Bible is not full of the concepts of people. In fact it is part of the point of my post.

Nostrodumbass
1 hour ago, Hello Davros Kitty said:

tumblr_p96i2walpA1wreoqmo1_500.jpg

And intelligent people tend to keep searching, because they are not arrogant enough to believe we have arrived at truth.

• Like 1

MERRY DMAS
45 minutes ago, Nostrodumbass said:

And intelligent people tend to keep searching, because they are not arrogant enough to believe we have arrived at truth.

I'm still searching. But people that fall uncritically for ancient mythological propaganda that feel's good are a drag.

Will Due
12 minutes ago, Hello Davros Kitty said:

I'm still searching. But people that fall uncritically for ancient mythological propaganda that feel's good are a drag.

If you're still searching and truly thinking critically, then you would have to be open to the reality that thinking, is much more than what you think.

Edited by Will Due

Nostrodumbass
41 minutes ago, Hello Davros Kitty said:

Yes, but please don't generalize and think that everyone who experiences the spirit arrived there by being uncritical, and because it feels good. Some have arrived there by being especially critical and bearing a heavy cross and still bear it daily. Some of those might even say that being atheist or the like is an "easy out".

• Like 1

Liquid Gardens
21 minutes ago, Nostrodumbass said:

Yes, but please don't generalize and think that everyone who experiences the spirit arrived there by being uncritical, and because it feels good. Some have arrived there by being especially critical and bearing a heavy cross and still bear it daily. Some of those might even say that being atheist or the like is an "easy out".

What specific 'heavy cross' are these supposedly 'critical' spirit-experiencers bearing daily?  Why would those people think being an atheist is an 'easy out'?  From my experience it's the opposite, especially when we use some theists own words about how they think their lives would be meaningless and terrible without their god or that no god = nihilism, who to me imply that atheism isn't easy at all.

• Like 2

sci-nerd
23 hours ago, Doug1o29 said:

Put the Bible under the same scrutiny you'd use on a rock or a star and interesting things come popping out.  Study it like you'd study any physical phenomenon.

I've read it a few times in my youth. I admit the tanakh has a few correct assumptions, but even a blind hen sometimes finds a grain.

If the bible was written by one person, the correct title would be: Diary of a Mad Man.

Sorry if I insult any Ozzy fans! His album is way more entertaining!

XenoFish

People project and externalize their desires through the idea of god, due to having little to no control or power in life. So they wager in "God doing it".  Plus the idea of god is a kind of lynch pin to hook people on just another artificial meaning to life. Like so many other systems of belief. 

• Like 1

Will Due

God doesn't play dice.

GoldenWolf
7 hours ago, Will Due said:

It's not possible to have an internal experience with anything external.

But when an internal experience includes an experience with an indwelling being, it is possible to deny it.

voodoo-doll.jpg

Nostrodumbass
4 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

What specific 'heavy cross' are these supposedly 'critical' spirit-experiencers bearing daily?  Why would those people think being an atheist is an 'easy out'?  From my experience it's the opposite, especially when we use some theists own words about how they think their lives would be meaningless and terrible without their god or that no god = nihilism, who to me imply that atheism isn't easy at all.

The cross of living in and searching for spirit and truth without reward in a world where some 'just believe' and get their dopamine shots, and others just say there is no God because there is no proof and get their dopamine shots. Some just use bad religion as a straw man to kill God and get their dopamine shots. We are addicted to the rewards of accepting the world as it is either by our flawed religions or science and miss the work of God's spirit that has tried to save us from ourselves.

• Like 2

Guyver
9 hours ago, Nostrodumbass said:

Not only have we not arrived at it; I'm not sure we can adequately define it.  

• Like 3

Habitat

It is funny that people crave the "ultimate truth", but studiously ignore "home truths". We all do that, to a greater or lesser extent. If we can't get past correcting our little ( or not-so-little ) conceits, our ability to apprehend the "whole truth" is immediately ruled out.

Dejarma
18 minutes ago, Habitat said:

It is funny that people crave the "ultimate truth"

i don't

• Thanks 1

joc
47 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Not only have we not arrived at it; I'm not sure we can adequately define it.  

Just because you haven't arrived doesn't mean that others of us haven't.

It is easily defined.  The truth isn't hard. Getting to it can be...it takes desire, persistence and determination to wade through the river of BS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Habitat
2 hours ago, Dejarma said:

i don't

You don't even crave a pint of bitter then ?

Dejarma
7 minutes ago, Habitat said:

You don't even crave a pint of bitter then ?

a stupid response-- i expected no more

Habitat
54 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

a stupid response-- i expected no more

By gum, that be a daft answer !

Guyver
4 hours ago, joc said:

Just because you haven't arrived doesn't mean that others of us haven't.

It is easily defined.  The truth isn't hard. Getting to it can be...it takes desire, persistence and determination to wade through the river of BS.

I have arrived.  I have arrived at the understanding that truth can’t be known at this time.  But you see things differently, and that is your right.  You get to believe whatever you want, just like everybody else does.  There are plenty of people like you who are convinced they’re right, and that their truth is the truth.  They are religious fundamentalists.  They are so certain they are right that they are willing to die for their beliefs.

Anyway, how many dimensions are there to existence?  Do we exist in three dimensions as you know things to be, or are there more are less than three dimensions in this existence?  Since you know the truth, I am interested in your answer.

Habitat
29 minutes ago, Guyver said:

I have arrived.  I have arrived at the understanding that truth can’t be known at this time.  But you see things differently, and that is your right.  You get to believe whatever you want, just like everybody else does.  There are plenty of people like you who are convinced they’re right, and that their truth is the truth.  They are religious fundamentalists.  They are so certain they are right that they are willing to die for their beliefs.

Anyway, how many dimensions are there to existence?  Do we exist in three dimensions as you know things to be, or are there more are less than three dimensions in this existence?  Since you know the truth, I am interested in your answer.

When you really think about it, were the itch to "know the truth" disappear from your mental horizon, would that not be good enough ? It is like an itch you can't scratch, but if the itch were no longer there, you would simply forget it. Food for thought, perhaps.

• Like 2

and then
22 hours ago, Will Due said:

I beg to differ. God dwells within us all. We are the "temples of God."

And it's because of this that personal (true) religion will increase. True religion is the religion of the Spirit. The religion of personal spiritual experience. The experience of experiencing Divinity within.

With the horrors that are set to come upon the world due to man's choices, millions will seek refuge in God's security.  Far from faith becoming obsolete or dying, it is set for a major resurgence.  Note that I said FAITH... not religious dogma.  I agree that the dogma has used fear for control for centuries.  The reality of a Creator is about to be seen in a way that will not be able to be credibly denied.

• Like 3

Habitat
10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Dunno, but I guess in a two-option guessing game you can right by dumb luck. Do you feel lucky ?

joc
7 hours ago, Guyver said:

Like I said it can be difficult to wade through the BS.  The truth is that you are still wading my friend.

XenoFish
7 hours ago, Guyver said:

In the context of spirituality and religion, truth does not exist.

• Thanks 2