Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Scudbuster

Religion........ and its Deep Roots of Fear

4,463 posts in this topic

XenoFish
Just now, Guyver said:

BS.  That statement is not knowable, therefore not true.  

And the statement that god exist is true? 

Guyver
1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Then why bother filling in the blanks with God? Doing God's will is really doing one's own will, based on their own desires or the desires of a collective. Which is why religions are cults.

I don't give a rip about religion.  Why not fill in the blanks with God?  What else are you going to use......dumb luck?  Dumb luck fails in my experience of reality so it doesn't work for me.  Maybe it works for you.  

• Like 1

Guyver

And the statement that god exist is true? 

No.  The statement that God may exist is true.  

XenoFish
Just now, Guyver said:

No.  The statement that God may exist is true.  

You can't prove god exist as some external entity. 

1 minute ago, Guyver said:

I don't give a rip about religion.  Why not fill in the blanks with God?  What else are you going to use......dumb luck?  Dumb luck fails in my experience of reality so it doesn't work for me.  Maybe it works for you.  

You're quite salty today aren't you.

People filling in the blanks with God because they're too afraid to say, "I don't know."

• Like 2

Guyver
14 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Right.  In the same way that no one can prove that God doesn't exist as some external reality.  But even more than that, my point.....which has possibly been lost?  We can't even prove that reality exists as some form of external reality that we don't know.  

Yes.  I'm having some issues.  I've been sick with a cold all week.  I know I should be resting, but I'm sick and tired of resting and I want to go play golf.  But since I don't feel well, I know my golf game will suck and that will displease me.  So, I'm all locked up and miserable right now.  

People filling in the blanks with God because they're too afraid to say, "I don't know."

I"m not.  I've been trying to say that all along.  I embrace the "I don't know" as a very real thing.  And, i think provable.  I think I may be able to prove that we don't know, or at least make a good argument for it.  But I don't even feel like doing that.  So nevermind.  I guess I'll just go read a book or something.  My wife has been recommending Atlas Shrugged.  I think I have it somewhere, I guess I could go dig it out.  

Will Due
40 minutes ago, Guyver said:

No.  Just X and Y.  

Well, in AutoCad, this is the Cartesian Coordinate System it uses. 

240px-Coord_system_CA_0.svg.png

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 1

Will Due
48 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's right but subjectively, a person is able to know that God exists because of their personal experiences of experiencing him internally within. 

Edited by Will Due

Guyver
10 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Well, in AutoCad, this is the Cartesian Coordinate System it uses. 

240px-Coord_system_CA_0.svg.png

That's a 3 dimensional version of it then.  Originally, it was just in two.  

• Like 1

Will Due
3 minutes ago, Guyver said:

That's a 3 dimensional version of it then.  Originally, it was just in two.  

True.

Liquid Gardens
1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Atheism brings its own existential crisis, since there is no security net in regards to an afterlife. 

I guess I'd phrase it as 'atheism can bring its own existential crisis', I don't see that as necessary at all; I can understand the discomfort that could arise if someone was counting on an afterlife and then came to doubt it, something's been lost, but I'm not so sure for those who don't count on it.  I think we'd first have to break down why and if the idea of no afterlife needs to be secured against, it almost makes it sound like 'an afterlife' is a presumption. To me it's especially questionable since most people don't just want an afterlife, they want an eternal blissful afterlife in a perpetual state of content and usually under the bosom of/merged with the supreme all knowing, all powerful, megaloving Creator.  That's all... just something modest like that...

It just seems kinda bizarre and I guess, IMO, a little infantile of a reaction.  Even before we are taught this by the Stones almost everyone starts to learn around age 3 at the latest that you can't always get what you want.  It just seems so backwards; we're all able to somehow cope without a permanent crisis with the fact that Mom's not going to let us eat a bunch of cookies right before dinner despite us wanting to, but we need a security net because I might not have my ultimate fantasy, only everything I want essentially after death, fulfilled?  Most people learn to deal with the likelihood that there is no Santa Claus so when I break it down I don't see logically why I should despair at the unlikelihood of a greater and more fantastical wish.

• Like 3

joc
2 hours ago, Guyver said:

OK....well there you have it.  That pretty much means nothing.

Can you answer your own question? No you cannot. You cannot because you are still searching for the truth. And you are still searching because you are still wading through the BS.  The truth is that the question of dimensions is part of the BS. 

Take your sword, cut through the cursed ball of string of bs right down to the core and the truth will be revealed. You will never untie the ball of bs. The fact that you are still trying is apparent. It's a trap Guyver. You cannot untie the strings enough to find the truth. 

Guyver
2 hours ago, joc said:

Can you answer your own question? No you cannot. You cannot because you are still searching for the truth. And you are still searching because you are still wading through the BS.  The truth is that the question of dimensions is part of the BS. 

Take your sword, cut through the cursed ball of string of bs right down to the core and the truth will be revealed. You will never untie the ball of bs. The fact that you are still trying is apparent. It's a trap Guyver. You cannot untie the strings enough to find the truth. 

OK....but you claimed to be one who has arrived; one who knows the truth.  So what is it?  What is the truth you have arrived at?

MERRY DMAS
9 hours ago, Will Due said:

Yes, it won't happen anytime soon if the subjective evidences of true personal spiritual experience is not allowed to critically supersede all of the other objective evidences to the contrary.

Translation: Anything goes...

NewAge1

The bleakness, the evil and pain in this world; the fact that it is a deterministic prison controlled by a demented creator causes us willingly to split with the reality principle early in life. And so so to speak willingly fall in delusion.

Edited by NewAge1

Dejarma
7 hours ago, Guyver said:

Right.  In the same way that no one can prove that God doesn't exist as some external reality.

:sleepy:

joc
4 hours ago, Guyver said:

OK....but you claimed to be one who has arrived; one who knows the truth.  So what is it?  What is the truth you have arrived at?

The truth is that all gods are myth. Creation of life was a spontaneous slow event. That is the truth.

Habitat
6 minutes ago, joc said:

8 hours ago, XenoFish said:

But you do know, apparently ?

Habitat

They say charity begins at home, so does "truth seeking". The first place to start admiring truth, is in ourselves, we are all prey to vanities and internal falsehoods, without clearing that space first, it is no good looking for the wider truths. The person who is out to save the world from delusions, must first save himself, from his own.

XenoFish
32 minutes ago, Habitat said:

But you do know, apparently ?

The god of religions, the god of faiths, the god of spirituality. Whatever their names be, wherever they are from. It's all just ideas and concepts. You can manipulate a lot of people through belief. An actual "god" type being is ultimately unknowable. So people create false gods and worship them religiously. A little sliver of human ego, shaped and formed by desire, a symbol of one's or a groups collective will. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Piney
7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The god of religions, the god of faiths, the god of spirituality. Whatever their names be, wherever they are from. It's all just ideas and concepts. You can manipulate a lot of people through belief. An actual "god" type being is ultimately unknowable. So people create false gods and worship them religious me. A little sliver of human ego, shaped and formed by desire, a symbol of one's or a groups collective will. 

Spoken like a true non-theistic deist. :yes:

XenoFish
1 minute ago, Piney said:

Spoken like a true non-theistic deist. :yes:

Or an ex-chaote who used to create various gods and spirits. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Piney

Or an ex-chaote who used to create various gods and spirits. 

You have to admit it's fun with the superstitious. :lol:

• Thanks 1

XenoFish
7 minutes ago, Piney said:

You have to admit it's fun with the superstitious. :lol:

No, glitter bombing was fun. Easiest way to spread a memetic virus. To put it simple, glitter bombing is spreading sigils in public places for mass consumption. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Haha 1

Piney
3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

No, glitter bombing was fun. Easiest way to spread a memetic virus. To put it simple, glitter bombing is spreading sigils in public places for mass consumption. 

I was drawing Veves with a pack of Crayola sidewalk chalk when I first got out of prison to haunt my tribe remember? It got boring.

Now I haven't seen redneck fundy "spreading the word" in over a month to torture. I grow bored again.....Everybody is staying away...

I might have to change deodorants.... 

• Haha 2

XenoFish
5 minutes ago, Piney said:

I was drawing Veves with a pack of Crayola sidewalk chalk when I first got out of prison to haunt my tribe remember? It got boring.

Now I haven't seen redneck fundy "spreading the word" in over a month to torture. I grow bored again.....Everybody is staying away...

I might have to change deodorants.... 

The whole idea at the time seemed meaningful, but ended up being pointless. Well...... I think anyway. Ideas spread.

• Like 1