Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Scudbuster

Religion........ and its Deep Roots of Fear

4,463 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

and then
5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I can't hate something I don't believe in

That, sir, is a lie.  If you had no doubts you'd never spend the time you do to struggle against those who simply believe.  If it meant nothing to you, you just ignore.  Unless, of course, you're just hateful by nature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
3 hours ago, and then said:

That, sir, is a lie.  If you had no doubts you'd never spend the time you do to struggle against those who simply believe.  If it meant nothing to you, you just ignore.  Unless, of course, you're just hateful by nature.

There's a difference between believing and meaning. Christianity means pain to me, your god I don't believe. I do not trust Christian faith.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

There's a difference between believing and meaning. Christianity means pain to me, your god I don't believe. I do not trust Christian faith.

Yeah, but you still sound like someone complaining about anchovies being put on  pizzas, when you don't have to have anchovies on your pizza !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
27 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Yeah, but you still sound like someone complaining about anchovies being put on  pizzas, when you don't have to have anchovies on your pizza !

I also don't have to tolerate hearing "Jesus this or Jesus that" from people mouths, but I do out of courtesy. I also don't have to tolerate people trying to shove their religious/spiritual dogma in my face. If you or anyone want's to keep their faith to themselves or what goes on between them an their god, fine. Just don't go blowing yourself up for god's sake (literally). 

https://neurosciencenews.com/religion-atheism-intelligence-8391/

Once you actually start to question your beliefs, there's a very high chance you won't have them much longer.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Minimalists
9 hours ago, XenoFish said:

How many people on average do you think are damaged by religious ideologies? 1 out of every 10 people? More? If someone is given a guilt complex due to the idea that god will punish them for anything and everything they do. And they commit suicide because of this. What good has religion done for them? What good has it done to those so indoctrinated that they willfully blow themselves up for their religious belief?

Christianity uses the old "turn or burn" concept....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
3 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

Christianity uses the old "turn or burn" concept....

Yep. The kind of stuff cults do. Check list of cult characteristics.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scudbuster
9 hours ago, Habitat said:

Be prepared to learn otherwise. That preparation is easy, just don't deem yourself up to judging what may, or may not be.

Well, I'm open to things, but when it comes to religion, I haven't seen any evidence, any believable realities, in essence, just a lot of nothing.

Christopher Hitchins .jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Galactic Goatman
4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Yep. The kind of stuff cults do. Check list of cult characteristics.

Christianity is a cult in everything but name. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd
13 hours ago, Habitat said:

1/137 ? Sounds like a cricket score ! What are you talking about ?

It's Sommerfeld's constant, or more commonly refered to as the fine-structure constant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
7 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

It's Sommerfeld's constant, or more commonly refered to as the fine-structure constant.

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
On 9/15/2018 at 11:06 AM, and then said:

Since I've been here at UM I've met several people who are seriously invested, I'd say almost obsessed, with hating any concept of a Creator God. 

I'd say there's a lot more people making stuff up about religions in general here, the proportion would be inverse. There used to be quite a few Muslim posters here, but most seem to be gone. I wonder what happened to them? 

On 9/15/2018 at 11:06 AM, and then said:

It seems like an odd thing to use to bolster one's self-esteem.  

How does self esteem enter the picture, especially when most of us are anonymous? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
On 9/15/2018 at 11:20 AM, XenoFish said:

You're not religious are so you've said. So why do you even care. 

That poster is as religious as any fanatic, it's just one of those 'personal religions' made up as one goes along.  The irrationality remains a common denominator though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
3 hours ago, psyche101 said:

self esteem

I'd think the reference was self-explanatory.  Those who argue these topics, especially in insolent ways, are doing so for reasons of their own and the only benefit I can imagine is that they feel it bolsters the value of their worldview.  Of course, I'm not implying that all who discuss religion are being vicious about it but if you're honest with yourself you'd have to admit that many here get pretty damned nasty and insulting when they verbally scoff at believers.  No point in naming names because it really doesn't matter to me any longer.

 

3 hours ago, psyche101 said:

There used to be quite a few Muslim posters here, but most seem to be gone. I wonder what happened to them? 

Your guess is as good as mine.  No one has tried to force anything on them that I'm aware of.  Unless you are attempting to equate criticism of Islamic Fundamentalist terror and Islam in general.  I think you can easily understand the difference.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scudbuster
On 9/15/2018 at 6:21 AM, XenoFish said:

Yep. The kind of stuff cults do. Check list of cult characteristics.

Holy cow Xeno, this list of cult characteristics really hits home - pretty chilling all in all:

Cult Checklist.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
49 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

Holy cow Xeno, this list of cult characteristics really hits home - pretty chilling all in all:

Cult Checklist.jpg

Sounds like most if not all, martial arts club, Religion, political party etcetera.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
20 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Sounds like most if not all, martial arts club, Religion, political party etcetera.

Pretty much any social group has the same or similar thing. There's always a figure head with some authoritative power. Even the snowflakes have people who tell them what's "offensive" which apparently is everything.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
3 hours ago, and then said:

I'd think the reference was self-explanatory.  Those who argue these topics, especially in insolent ways, are doing so for reasons of their own and the only benefit I can imagine is that they feel it bolsters the value of their worldview.  Of course, I'm not implying that all who discuss religion are being vicious about it but if you're honest with yourself you'd have to admit that many here get pretty damned nasty and insulting when they verbally scoff at believers.  No point in naming names because it really doesn't matter to me any longer.

I tend to leave the beliefs section alone mostly unless an atheist viewpoint is called for out of respect for those posters. The posters I tend to have discussions with in the skeptic section that are non religious or very personal about their beliefs seem OK, I find the more fundie religious type posters are more in number when it comes to irrational petty posting. But I never equated it to self esteem, more simple trolling. I'm not saying you are wrong  I just see the inverse where I post 

3 hours ago, and then said:

Your guess is as good as mine.  No one has tried to force anything on them that I'm aware of.  Unless you are attempting to equate criticism of Islamic Fundamentalist terror and Islam in general.  I think you can easily understand the difference.

I'm not sure, there is quite some anti Islamic sentiment here, but then again I've even seen my own country wildly misrepresented by that good looking Canadian fruitcake, I had reservations myself, but found the rational and friendly approach from those people changed my views. It's a shame to see so many have moved on. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doug1o29
On 9/14/2018 at 7:19 PM, sci-nerd said:

Wonder of origin should be for those who investigated the universe, and found all its tells. Those who are amazed about 1/137 and the first living cell.

But instead it's about ancient beliefs. That is a shame.

Put the Bible under the same scrutiny you'd use on a rock or a star and interesting things come popping out.  Study it like you'd study any physical phenomenon.

Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nostrodumbass
On 9/15/2018 at 1:27 AM, Scudbuster said:

 

This short video defines it quite effectively - the pure fallacy of this "god": 

 

 

When considering all the problems with God one can move closer to truth. The truth that our concept of God is formed by people. People past and present; even ancient. People with agendas and involved in power struggles. Sometimes even mentally unstable persons. We can approach the truth that the history of religion says more about us than about God.

The fact that we have issue with all this evil and depressing information also reveals another truth: The spirit of the true God is acting in us all. The Bible is a sword, not a spoon. This sword is meant to strip away our flesh and its desires which are bound to (and defined by) this physical realm and have no eternal future. Its meant to bring us to truth, not the truth of this world which is that there is no God (and by the way is true for this world), but the truth that God and his kingdom are no part of this physical realm. That he and it is eternal and spiritual. This same sword guards the garden of Eden and the tree of life Gen 3. Flesh may not return to Eden, but the sword does not prevent spirit from returning. 

So lately I welcome videos like this. I have made anti-God posts here and on other sites myself many times. This world has much evil because of our own desire for self advancement and preservation (the very definition of Satan). Even the Gods we create advance this evil. But inside us all and even in the pages of many holy books the spirit of truth works, and when it has stripped away the flesh and its desire by nailing it down in crucifixion - whats left is a worldview in unity with God and truth - one with a future.

Religion must decline. And it will. Because it resides in a place where there is no God. Science and its truth will keep increasing until religion becomes a joke. Science, common sense and logic will position itself in the place where God used to be. But Gods spirit is unaffected by the truths of this world and will keep cleansing and saving those that want to be. The war of the finite and infinite is upon us.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will Due
5 minutes ago, Nostrodumbass said:

Religion must decline. And it will. Because it resides in a place where there is no God.

 

I beg to differ. God dwells within us all. We are the "temples of God."

And it's because of this that personal (true) religion will increase. True religion is the religion of the Spirit. The religion of personal spiritual experience. The experience of experiencing Divinity within.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rlyeh
1 hour ago, Nostrodumbass said:

When considering all the problems with God one can move closer to truth. The truth that our concept of God is formed by people. People past and present; even ancient. People with agendas and involved in power struggles. Sometimes even mentally unstable persons. We can approach the truth that the history of religion says more about us than about God.

The fact that we have issue with all this evil and depressing information also reveals another truth: The spirit of the true God is acting in us all. The Bible is a sword, not a spoon. This sword is meant to strip away our flesh and its desires which are bound to (and defined by) this physical realm and have no eternal future. Its meant to bring us to truth, not the truth of this world which is that there is no God (and by the way is true for this world), but the truth that God and his kingdom are no part of this physical realm. That he and it is eternal and spiritual. This same sword guards the garden of Eden and the tree of life Gen 3. Flesh may not return to Eden, but the sword does not prevent spirit from returning. 

So lately I welcome videos like this. I have made anti-God posts here and on other sites myself many times. This world has much evil because of our own desire for self advancement and preservation (the very definition of Satan). Even the Gods we create advance this evil. But inside us all and even in the pages of many holy books the spirit of truth works, and when it has stripped away the flesh and its desire by nailing it down in crucifixion - whats left is a worldview in unity with God and truth - one with a future.

Religion must decline. And it will. Because it resides in a place where there is no God. Science and its truth will keep increasing until religion becomes a joke. Science, common sense and logic will position itself in the place where God used to be. But Gods spirit is unaffected by the truths of this world and will keep cleansing and saving those that want to be. The war of the finite and infinite is upon us.

 

My imaginary friend is better than your imaginary friend.

You want truth? Yahweh the God of the Bible is a man made deity. Strange that your god also fits this definition of Satan.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davros of Skaro
2 hours ago, Nostrodumbass said:

When considering all the problems with God one can move closer to truth. The truth that our concept of God is formed by people. People past and present; even ancient. People with agendas and involved in power struggles. Sometimes even mentally unstable persons. We can approach the truth that the history of religion says more about us than about God.

The fact that we have issue with all this evil and depressing information also reveals another truth: The spirit of the true God is acting in us all. The Bible is a sword, not a spoon. This sword is meant to strip away our flesh and its desires which are bound to (and defined by) this physical realm and have no eternal future. Its meant to bring us to truth, not the truth of this world which is that there is no God (and by the way is true for this world), but the truth that God and his kingdom are no part of this physical realm. That he and it is eternal and spiritual. This same sword guards the garden of Eden and the tree of life Gen 3. Flesh may not return to Eden, but the sword does not prevent spirit from returning. 

So lately I welcome videos like this. I have made anti-God posts here and on other sites myself many times. This world has much evil because of our own desire for self advancement and preservation (the very definition of Satan). Even the Gods we create advance this evil. But inside us all and even in the pages of many holy books the spirit of truth works, and when it has stripped away the flesh and its desire by nailing it down in crucifixion - whats left is a worldview in unity with God and truth - one with a future.

Religion must decline. And it will. Because it resides in a place where there is no God. Science and its truth will keep increasing until religion becomes a joke. Science, common sense and logic will position itself in the place where God used to be. But Gods spirit is unaffected by the truths of this world and will keep cleansing and saving those that want to be. The war of the finite and infinite is upon us.

 

tumblr_p96i2walpA1wreoqmo1_500.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat

You don't sound convinced to me, davros !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will Due

 

It's not possible to have an internal experience with anything external.

But when an internal experience includes an experience with an indwelling being, it is possible to deny it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nostrodumbass
3 hours ago, Will Due said:

 

I beg to differ. God dwells within us all. We are the "temples of God."

And it's because of this that personal (true) religion will increase. True religion is the religion of the Spirit. The religion of personal spiritual experience. The experience of experiencing Divinity within.

 

 

I agree. When I refer to religion declining its regarding what people have made it for their own purposes and under social pressures of the day. Not the personal spiritual experience.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.