Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Scudbuster

Religion........ and its Deep Roots of Fear

4,463 posts in this topic

Piney
9 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Ideas spread.

:yes:

• Like 1

Guyver
3 hours ago, joc said:

The truth is that all gods are myth. Creation of life was a spontaneous slow event. That is the truth.

Well no, that’s actually not truth.  That’s called opinion.  The difference between truth and opinion is that one can be validated with facts.  The fact is that you don’t know if any gods exist or not.  You think they don’t.  But thinking a thing and knowing a thing are two different things.  

And if gods mean beings who exist that are greater than us in some way, then of course that’s possible.  Some may consider it more likely than not.  That opinion is just as good as any other.  

Earlier you said that my point about additional dimensions was moot, or rather you implied it was irrelevant and it’s not.  It’s a valid point because it is not only theoretically, but mathematically plausible, and some models offer a better fit for the known data.  Since that is the case, and dimensional analysis demonstrates such a significant change from one to the other, the string theory, or multiverse theory, to the eight dimension models  (which are all plausible ) show that reality can exist that we are unaware of.  If such things do exist, then it demonstrates how things like ghosts and gods and everything else is possible.

This idea is better than the idea that no gods exist (IMHO) because it’s based on science and mathematical models.  To me, that brings more weight than simply dismissing a thing because it’s unknown.  So, I guess you and I will just have to agree to disagree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Habitat

lol.....the Gospel of Joc, has the virtues of simplicity and brevity, but accuracy I am not so sure about.

Davros of Skaro
1 hour ago, Guyver said:

Well no, that’s actually not truth.  That’s called opinion.  The difference between truth and opinion is that one can be validated with facts.  The fact is that you don’t know if any gods exist or not.  You think they don’t.  But thinking a thing and knowing a thing are two different things.  

And if gods mean beings who exist that are greater than us in some way, then of course that’s possible.  Some may consider it more likely than not.  That opinion is just as good as any other.  

Earlier you said that my point about additional dimensions was moot, or rather you implied it was irrelevant and it’s not.  It’s a valid point because it is not only theoretically, but mathematically plausible, and some models offer a better fit for the known data.  Since that is the case, and dimensional analysis demonstrates such a significant change from one to the other, the string theory, or multiverse theory, to the eight dimension models  (which are all plausible ) show that reality can exist that we are unaware of.  If such things do exist, then it demonstrates how things like ghosts and gods and everything else is possible.

This idea is better than the idea that no gods exist (IMHO) because it’s based on science and mathematical models.  To me, that brings more weight than simply dismissing a thing because it’s unknown.  So, I guess you and I will just have to agree to disagree.

This is why I never say "There is no God, or Gods". However I do say that the Abrahamic God is a myth because I can prove it unlike an hypothetical God.

Davros of Skaro
19 hours ago, and then said:

The reality of a Creator is about to be seen in a way that will not be able to be credibly denied.

Your obsession reminds me of this commercial from back in the day.

White-Coyote
29 minutes ago, Hello Davros Kitty said:

This is why I never say "There is no God, or Gods". However I do say that the Abrahamic God is a myth because I can prove it unlike an hypothetical God.

Ok, go ahead. Heard a few people claim they can prove it, haven't seen it yet though.

Davros of Skaro
1 minute ago, White-Coyote said:

Ok, go ahead. Heard a few people claim they can prove it, haven't seen it yet though.

Start by checking the two links in my signature. 

White-Coyote

I'm on a phone, don't see any. 

But if it is proof, there's a few billion that aren't convinced yet

White-Coyote
12 minutes ago, Hello Davros Kitty said:

Start by checking the two links in my signature. 

Is it something you wrote or something you read?

Davros of Skaro
18 minutes ago, White-Coyote said:

I'm on a phone, don't see any. 

Try sideways. If there's nothing still then you need another device.

18 minutes ago, White-Coyote said:

But if it is proof, there's a few billion that aren't convinced yet

They are thought addicts via the Dopamine Reward System aka Holy Dopamine Ghost.

11 minutes ago, White-Coyote said:

Is it something you wrote or something you read?

It's two links. 

Here:

Temple Cleansing Fiction

The Holy Dopamine Ghost: Thoughts Are Just As Addictive As Drugs

and then
54 minutes ago, Hello Davros Kitty said:

Your obsession reminds me of this commercial from back in the day.

I'm pleased that my beliefs give you a chuckle :)   

• Haha 1

Habitat
19 minutes ago, Hello Davros Kitty said:

They are thought addicts via the Dopamine Reward System aka Holy Dopamine Ghost.

"Oh, I can still remember when I bought my first guitar
Remember walking from the shop to put it proudly in my car
And my family listened fifty times to my two song repertoire
I told my Mom her only son was gonna be a star."

:no:

White-Coyote

I watched the video. To me it explains some of the mechanics of how the brain works, which is cool, I kinda knew allot of it though. And I guess I get the point, dopamine, people standing around with their eyes closed, hands to the air, right? Honestly, I never understood that part of religion, so to me it's an alternative explanation for something others may experience. 

I guess at some point I'll have to explain what brought me to Christianity, and where I was before so you guys can pick apart my own personal experience... otherwise you can't possibly know where I'm coming from. 

The other part, well... I didn't read the Bible other than bits and pieces lol, looks like you may have spent more time with it than I have.

But the question I have about that is why? You've made up your own mind right? I don't get why people want to change others minds.

Habitat

He is in the throes of doubt, white coyote, which is good, nothing worse than people who think they "know", when they cannot possibly "prove the negative".

• Like 2

internetperson
16 minutes ago, White-Coyote said:

But the question I have about that is why? You've made up your own mind right? I don't get why people want to change others minds.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think folks that do this don't so much as consciously try to change minds. I think its almost like a hobby and it's just the individuals makeup that determines their disposition - i.e. if they are a dickbag about it or not.

This is my little hobby: watching human behavior. Wont name names but we have extremely educated members with legit academic pedigrees but they are jackasses and act like children. Check around the 'weird' threads and youll see common screen names popping up regarding ridiculous topics.  Silly to me, with all that intellectual prowess they never make a difference and they keep hacking away at nonsense. As to why they do this I dunno but I don't think its healthy.

• Haha 2

White-Coyote
4 minutes ago, internetperson said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think folks that do this don't so much as consciously try to change minds. I think its almost like a hobby and it's just the individuals makeup that determines their disposition - i.e. if they are a dickbag about it or not.

This is my little hobby: watching human behavior. Wont name names but we have extremely educated members with legit academic pedigrees but they are jackasses and act like children. Check around the 'weird' threads and youll see common screen names popping up regarding ridiculous topics.  Silly to me, with all that intellectual prowess they never make a difference and they keep hacking away at nonsense. As to why they do this I dunno but I don't think its healthy.

Yep, lol, I've noticed.  And I pretty much feel the same way you do.

Edited by White-Coyote
  • Like 1

Davros of Skaro
1 hour ago, and then said:

I'm pleased that my beliefs give you a chuckle :)   

Facepalms as well. :cry:

1 hour ago, White-Coyote said:

I watched the video. To me it explains some of the mechanics of how the brain works, which is cool, I kinda knew allot of it though. And I guess I get the point, dopamine, people standing around with their eyes closed, hands to the air, right? Honestly, I never understood that part of religion, so to me it's an alternative explanation for something others may experience. 

There's more than one video (it's a playlist).

I guess at some point I'll have to explain what brought me to Christianity, and where I was before so you guys can pick apart my own personal experience... otherwise you can't possibly know where I'm coming from. 

Please do. Don't be shy.

The other part, well... I didn't read the Bible other than bits and pieces lol, looks like you may have spent more time with it than I have.

Well the other link that's a UM thread has lots of Biblical info.

But the question I have about that is why? You've made up your own mind right?

Evidence will change my mind.

I don't get why people want to change others minds.

I gave that up a while ago. Now it's holding the line so to speak. I cannot go up to a gambling addict and change their mind/habit with reason. But since the Internet has an audience  (some that never even join up) I can at least get to some fence sitters. 

Christians are commanded to spread their superstition, so I gave myself a command to fight back. Theists automatically fliter their thoughts through dogma which slows thinking. 

Check out the rest of the links. There's bad info out there, but I put together some good research.

• Like 1

Habitat
28 minutes ago, Hello Davros Kitty said:

so I gave myself a command to fight back. Theists automatically fliter their thoughts through dogma which slows thinking. 

Fight back ? What are you being assailed by, other than the doubts in you own noggin ?

• Like 1

Davros of Skaro
6 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Fight back ? What are you being assailed by, other than the doubts in you own noggin ?

Habitat

I don't worry at all about jesus coming into, or out of my heart, and one has to ask why you do ! What was the old advice, "Know thyself", or in this case "understand your own mania". Good luck in making progress with that, and believe it not, I mean that sincerely ! The cure is to have a more capacious heart, if it is a dingy little cramped space, I guess you have to ration it.

Edited by Habitat
  • Like 1

Davros of Skaro
4 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I don't worry at all about jesus coming into, or out of my heart, and one has to ask why you do ! What was the old advice, "Know thyself", or in this case "understand your own mania". Good luck in making progress with that, and believe it not, I mean that sincerely !

You are most proficient in irrelevance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Habitat
1 minute ago, Hello Davros Kitty said:

You are most proficient in irrelevance. 

I am proficient at spotting people who are kidding themselves about their motives.

• Like 1

XenoFish
2 hours ago, White-Coyote said:

Some of us did not have a good start with religion and saw it's darker side. Then we read the book the faith is based on and found the god the cult of jesus worships to be a monster. With cultural rules, ritual sacrifice, mentally ill wise men and prophets. The golden rule being about the only good thing, but that's not even an original thought to the belief system. 

As for changing other peoples minds. I can't. I can only offer my point of views and opinions, it's up to them to make their own choices. With IQ's dropping and faith increasing I suspect that the spiritual boner of Armageddon will be upon the world soon, all due to self-fulfilling actions by believers.

• Like 3

XenoFish
2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I am proficient at spotting people who are kidding themselves about their motives.

You are a pro at non-answers and cryptic comments without real direction.

• Thanks 1

Davros of Skaro
6 minutes ago, Habitat said:

You only prove to be a clueless individual with their head in the sand.