Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

BMW unveils a self-driving motorcycle

Still Waters

BMW has revealed a self-driving motorcycle that can speed around a racetrack and even park itself without anyone sat on top.

The vehicle is powered by intelligent software that can turn, accelerate, lean around corners and brake with no human input.

BMW hopes the AI can one day keep bikers safe by operating as a driving assistant that automatically brakes or adjusts the steering during dangerous situations on the road. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6164403/BMW-unveils-new-smart-motorcycle-drive-itself.html

A motorbike without anyone riding it sets new standards for pointlessness. Or perhaps it might be used for pizza deliveries? That might be worth seeing 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Its my job to operate my two 330mm Brembo discs and not the job of a #@%! CPU.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From the article link:

BMW claims the vehicle was not built for consumers, but to learn more about how it can work new safety features into its motorcycle range.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6164403/BMW-unveils-new-smart-motorcycle-drive-itself.html

49 minutes ago, seanjo said:

What is the point of a Bike if you aren't RIDING it and controlling it????

It's a prototype moto-terminator. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Still Waters said:

but to learn more about how it can work new safety features into its motorcycle range.

That can only be a good thing in my eyes.

I'm not good on bikes. That's how I found out that adrenaline is brown.

• Haha 1

I want to see a self-driving car plow into a self-driving motorcycle.

:ph34r:

The research from UK, NZ, and US concurs that motorcyclists are tens of times more likely to have fatal accidents than drivers of automobiles. It seems that industry could easily resolve this issue of adoption by commensurately decreasing the yearly insurance for those motorcycles having proven protective features.

On 9/15/2018 at 4:06 PM, Vlad the Mighty said:

A motorbike without anyone riding it sets new standards for pointlessness.

Or so stupid people with no balance can get run over by people on smartphones too. 

A bike is mostly controlled by balance and weight transfer so it is impossible to establish an assistance system that would change the bikes direction without the driver been dropped off the bike and/or the bike to fall.