Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

14 million Britons are living in poverty

Eldorado

There are now more than 14,000,000 in the UK living in poverty, a new report has found. The major study by the Social Metrics Commission (SMC) revealed that 8.4 million working-age adults, 4.5 million children and 1.4 million pensioners are living below the breadline in Britain today. Nearly half of those people – 6.9 million – are living in families with a disabled person, the research suggests.

Full shame: https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/17/there-are-now-14000000-people-living-in-poverty-in-the-uk-7950939/

From the Report:
14.2 million people in the UK population are in poverty: 8.4 million working-age adults; 4.5 million children; and 1.4 million pension age adults.
Of the 14.2 million people in poverty, nearly half, 6.9 million (48.3%) are living in families with a disabled person.
The Report: http://socialmetricscommission.org.uk/MEASURING-POVERTY-FULL_REPORT.pdf

• Sad 3

And I am yet to meet one. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

And I am yet to meet one. 

Where is your manor, guv ?

Just now, Habitat said:

Where is your manor, guv ?

I wish, what is the definition or criteria of poverty used in this piece? 

I am one of them :D     

Every time a rich person earns another £1 more people fall into poverty ....  Because it's defined not by what you earn, not by what you need, not by what you have or have not, but by what other people earn.  

Therefore, the only way in which poverty can be eliminated is if everyone earns exactly the same.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

There are now more than 14,000,000 in the UK living in poverty, a new report has found. The major study by the Social Metrics Commission (SMC) revealed that 8.4 million working-age adults, 4.5 million children and 1.4 million pensioners are living below the breadline in Britain today. Nearly half of those people – 6.9 million – are living in families with a disabled person, the research suggests.

Full shame: https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/17/there-are-now-14000000-people-living-in-poverty-in-the-uk-7950939/

From the Report:
14.2 million people in the UK population are in poverty: 8.4 million working-age adults; 4.5 million children; and 1.4 million pension age adults.
Of the 14.2 million people in poverty, nearly half, 6.9 million (48.3%) are living in families with a disabled person.
The Report: http://socialmetricscommission.org.uk/MEASURING-POVERTY-FULL_REPORT.pdf

Are they really Britons, or are they just throwing in all the migrants to make the numbers bigger.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Only being able to replace your iPhone every 2 years.   And having to cook a meal at home at least twice a week :D  

Seriously, it's determined by having an income of 60% of less than the median.  Irrespective of whether that means you earn £3 a week or £3,000 a week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

""Inescapable" costs, like childcare and disability, should be considered alongside income when measuring poverty in the UK, experts say.

The Social Metrics Commission says the proposals make "significant changes to our understanding" of poverty."

"A UK government spokeswoman said: "Measuring poverty is complex, and this report offers further insight into that complexity and the additional measures that can be taken into consideration."

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45545625

"The SMC measure sets a poverty threshold of 55% of median total available resources – in effect creating a poverty line relative to what the median family has available to spend. A key principle of the measure is that poverty “should be related to the extent to which people have the resources to engage adequately in a life regarded as the norm in society”."
Source: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/sep/16/what-is-the-new-uk-poverty-measure-and-why-is-it-needed

Leeds school teachers buying sanitary products and washing clothes for their pupils.
https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/leeds-school-teachers-pay-sanitary-15147401

Pale and hungry pupils 'fill pockets with school food'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-43611527

• Confused 1

Disgusting, How can anyone be in poverty when we have a generous welfare system. Which many travel hundreds of miles, across vast continents to claim. heck, were so generous we pay for child benefit for children not even living in the UK. 

• Like 3

It makes a mockery of poverty, i was listening to some hand wringer on the radio last week who claimed poverty was so bad that something like 1 in 10 children have to share a bed with another child, i was 1 of 11 kids 2 to a bed would have been a luxury, my dad never missed a days work in his life everthing was paid for, at not once did we ever consider ourselves to be in poverty.

• Like 3

Any definition of "poverty" that consists of a statistical mean of average earnings is fraudulent in my opinion.

• Like 3

Interesting how posters are falling over themselves to denounce the findings/make a joke out of them.

• Like 3

I am a single, middle-aged, male with an income of under £10k a year.

If I am in poverty than the pope is a ginger bunny that lives on Mars and eats cars for breakfast (but not in Sundays)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Disgusting, How can anyone be in poverty when we have a generous welfare system.

I think there is a similar welfare system in the UK like here in Germany. For a single person, our system pay the apartment rent (limited), health insurance, water, heating and in addition, 416€ (370£) per month. This amount protect ppl to die of starvation but if, e.g., the washing machine get broken, then there is a problem. And thats what I call poverty.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, toast said:

I think there is a similar welfare system in the UK like here in Germany. For a single person, our system pay the apartment rent (limited), health insurance, water, heating and in addition, 416€ (370£) per month. This amount protect ppl to die of starvation but if, e.g., the washing machine get broken, then there is a problem. And thats what I call poverty.

Wow! Germans are lucky if they get water and heating paid for, that doesn't happen in the UK. Also, in theory, your rent is covered but what happens if you can't find accommodation that is within the financial limits set by the council? (This happened to me, I had to find an extra £50 per month). 'Benefits' give absolutely no leeway if anything out of the ordinary happens ..... there's no capacity to save for a 'rainy day'.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

It makes a mockery of poverty, i was listening to some hand wringer on the radio last week who claimed poverty was so bad that something like 1 in 10 children have to share a bed with another child, i was 1 of 11 kids 2 to a bed would have been a luxury, my dad never missed a days work in his life everthing was paid for, not once did we ever consider ourselves to be in poverty.

corrected.

Just now, hetrodoxly said:

not once did we ever consider ourselves to be in poverty.

who said it was up to you to decide?  your gvmnt knows better.

19 minutes ago, FurriesRock said:

Are they really Britons, or are they just throwing in all the migrants to make the numbers bigger.

no doubt they included them too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

but what happens if you can't find accommodation that is within the financial limits set by the council? (This happened to me, I had to find an extra £50 per month).

Same here. I think that the max rent paid for a single person is 430€ or so, if the rent is higher it must be paid from the 416€ that are for food/clothes/electricity and others. Some states/cities pay a higher rent because in cities like Munich, Berlin and Hamburg its nearly impossible to find a flat for 430€.

• Like 2

Since the collapse of the Regional Councils in the 1980s three basic services have failed to function in (I assume) the majority, if not all, of the districts on the island. These are 

1) Food not on

2) Housing Benefit and Job Centre (aka Tap Ones)

3) Council Housing

Food not on. Food (hot, prepared and workable) needs to be on at a district level. They used to be called soup kitchens. The food needs to be free. During the days of the Regional Councils food was on in community and health centres. This needs to be put back. Prior to the regional councils doing the food from the 1950s onwards soup kitchens where on in church halls. The council food was better than the church food so the church food stopped. The need for food is best illustrated by the number of food banks that now exist around the island. They're close to the mark but miss, the food needs to hot, prepared and sufficient. ie  lunch ,dinner and your 2000 calories for the day. This can only be done by doing it governmentally.

Welfare. It works at the National Government end, it doesn't work at the local end. National Government have, on paper, decent welfare provisioning:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2016/7/crossheading/welfare-benefits

If you goto Section 8 Benefit Cap you'll find that the limit per person (outwith Greater London) is £13,400. The problem is at the local end of the welfare distribution system. The offices have been left unstaffed owing to the senior members of Councils not being aware that they had to form new social security departments to staff them. The resultant is that the offices are staffed by "volunteers" who are unable/unwilling to do the work. The only people in the local offices who have pay-slips are the janitor (who unlocks the building in the morning) and G4S security. The only 'work' the volunteers are doing is putting people on Job Seekers Allowance (£65 p/w) in some area and Universal Credit (£100 p/w) in other areas. Universal Credit doesn't come through until the end of the second calendar month. Housing Benefit is only paid out to households the don't pay Council Tax. Therefore the 16 year olds from households where Council Tax is paid don't receive anything at 16.

Basically in a pie-chart of society there is a sector of people stuck on £65 p/w for long periods of time. The law is that Housing Benefit should be payable to those on no or low income, Income Support is also in law as being available to those on no or low income giving a total of £215 which is what I should have been on age 16 onwards and through University. I'll put shortcuts to the above mentioned law when I can find them.

Housing. Government housing (aka Council Housing) should be universally available to everyone. One problem is the law ( had a quick look through it all ) there no mention in law that everybody is entitled to one. Rather the law is "back of the boat" law. This is where it simply authored based on what was going on within the Regional and District Councils and is, in practice, a historical record rather than "Haynes Manual" law. Its problem is in the omissions, the key one being that Council Housing should be universally available to every applicant. The law was originally authored in a day where Regional Councils where simply handing out houses. As it presently stands the staff within the Housing Offices need to the law to be 100% correct, since they have no common sense and simply work to 'it'. The staff comprise the common schools dum dums aka satanists  who are unable to do most basic forms of work. So as it stands, housing is not universally available when it should be.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/cancer-dad-whose-benefits-were-cut-because-he-could-make-tea-dies-with-just-£8-in-bank-account/ar-BBMO4Y1?ocid=spartanntp
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-45439487

1) Developed nation = death causing no grounds for concern

2) Developing nation = 'it' or money causing no grounds for concern

3) Emergent nation = all basic needs of a populous are met. 

So as it stands large parts of the UK is basically a 4th world nation.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, toast said:

The problem is not the washing but the fact the person is on benefits in the first place which means they are out of work. As am sure most will agree benefits are a safety net not a lifestyle choice. And that's the crux of the matter personal choice. 

There is no excuse not having a job. A quarter of a million migrant workers leave their homeland and come to the UK for a job and get one, being employed is the biggest step you can make to get out of poverty. 

As I said its all personal choice, but sadly no matter what system is in place to prevent poverty there will always be people who won't or can't help themselves and fall through the cracks. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, toast said:

That’s a very generous safety net. I now understand why so many immigrants head to Germany. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

That’s a very generous safety net. I now understand why so many immigrants head to Germany. 

The mentioned values are valid for German citizens only, immigrants get less than that. On the other hand, as per 2017 governmental statistics, 13M/15,7% of all German citizens are declared as to be poor, declared as to have only 60% of the average income.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

There is no excuse not having a job. A quarter of a million migrant workers leave their homeland and come to the UK for a job and get one, being employed is the biggest step you can make to get out of poverty.

No Steve, being employed does not always means to get out of poverty, especially when the wage of the job is such little that these ppl need additional support by the welfare system.

• Like 2