Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Needles being found in strawberry punnets

Eldorado

Australia has ordered an investigation into the discovery of sewing needles hidden in strawberries, amid growing alarm over scares across the country.

Contaminated punnets have now been reported in six states and territories. A minister called it a "vicious crime".

One man was taken to hospital after eating a strawberry that held a needle.

Several brands have been recalled, while New Zealand's biggest grocers have stopped selling Australian strawberries as a precaution.

Full horror: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-45543764

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

It’s pretty sad, and will be very hard to find out who’s to blame. 

Hopefully they get lucky with a security camera or something, and someone’s made an example of to deter the copycats. 

• Like 2

The police can't find anyone to PIN it on !

But still they'd begin needles and pins
Because of all my pride, the tears I gotta hide

Oh needles and pins, needles and pins, needles and pins

Just now, Timothy said:

Maybe a little soon for that...

I am bemused by the silence about where the investigation is going. This has been going on for a while now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I am bemused by the silence about where the investigation is going. This has been going on for a while now.

Well, you’d probably know how the fruit picking industry works here. 

With the sheer number of people who handle the fruit, unmonitored, it should be simple to understand why it may not be a simple task to identify the culprits.

Edited by Timothy
Huge typo.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't know, there were a number of brands affected, it wasn't being done at the farms, unless there were a number of culprits in league. It will be interesting to see where it goes, but at the moment it is claimed there are quite a few copy cats confusing things, amazingly.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Habitat said:

I don't know, there were a number of brands affected, it wasn't being done at the farms, unless there were a number of culprits in league. It will be interesting to see where it goes, but at the moment it is claimed there are quite a few copy cats confusing things, amazingly.

Yeah it’s crazy, and at least two states are now offering $100,000AUD rewards for information, which is good. 

• Like 3

Maybe they are looking for pin money ?

I think finding the culprit(s) will be like looking for a 'needle' in a hay stack.;)..

But joking aside...I hope they soon find this demented lunatic(s) who are responsible for this vile crime. I feel terribly sorry for the strawberry farmers as it has certainly tainted the industry at this time, not to mention such a delicious fruit that most consumers enjoy eating (including myself)....I wont stop buying strawberry's (as the criminal(s) win)....but common sense applies when now using the fruit.

Slice em! and dice em! up first before eating them. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Silver Surfer said:

Habitat.. stop putting pins in fruit... It's really dangerous.

Are you trying to needle me ?

Apparently, not just apples but also banana's have been targeted and contaminated. 

• Like 1

Hard to believe there are so many ratbag imitators, lock the lot of them up.

I'd like to stick needles in them.

images_16.jpg

Edited by Astra.
  • Thanks 1

Surely one young 'brat' kid couldn't have been responsible for all of the needles found in the punnets of strawberry's. I think there were at least three States in Australia that were affected. That's a lot of needles...and a whole lot of strawberry's. Must have been a few copycats that jumped on board as well. It's fairly obvious as well... that this kid needs some serious psychological evaluation.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Astra. said:

Surely one young 'brat' kid couldn't have been responsible for all of the needles found in the punnets of strawberry's. I think there were at least three States in Australia that were affected. That's a lot of needles...and a whole lot of strawberry's. Must have been a few copycats that jumped on board as well. It's fairly obvious as well... that this kid needs some serious psychological evaluation.  

Yes it is highly unlikely.