Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canelo vs GGG 2: Recap, analysis, follow up

Dark_Grey

Just watched a replay of the fight last night after working over time to avoid knowing the outcome beforehand. 

What a brawl. Just a slug fest like the first fight. At one point, one of the announcers commented on GGG looking older and less powerful. I couldn't "un-see" that comment for the rest of the fight. We are so used to GGG having cinder blocks for hands it was odd to watch the obviously smaller Canelo just eat shots for 12 rounds. Canelo did get clocked at round 9(?) which was the perfect opportunity for GGG to finish with a KO - but the opportunity was lost.

I'm going to watch it again today with a fresh set of eyes. I was rooting for GGG from the beginning but even I can't deny that Mexican-meat-free Canelo put on a fantastic display of boxing skills.

Who else watched it? Thoughts? Will there be third fight to make a trilogy?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

@CrimsonKing @Farmer77 - I know you guys watched it. Get in here!

I hate to say it but i actually missed it and havent watched the replay yet. I was watching the OSU v TCU game , hoping to get the replay in today.

10 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I hate to say it but i actually missed it and havent watched the replay yet. I was watching the OSU v TCU game , hoping to get the replay in today.

Do it man and let me know your thoughts. It was war

I was shocked it didn't end up a draw. But it was a great fight. Hopefully everyone tested clean too. They'll probably do it again around may.

But in terms of analysis or whatever, I initially thought GGG won, purely because of his jab. Watching it again today I think it was dead even as Canelo worked to body well.

• 8 months later...
On 9/17/2018 at 11:49 PM, danydandan said:

I was shocked it didn't end up a draw. But it was a great fight. Hopefully everyone tested clean too. They'll probably do it again around may.

But in terms of analysis or whatever, I initially thought GGG won, purely because of his jab. Watching it again today I think it was dead even as Canelo worked to body well.

I'm shocked that anyone thought it was a draw. Canelo outlanded GGG in power-shots, the only shots that are actually worth noting in pro-boxing. Canelo landed more % of his power than GGG in both fights, and limited GGG to his lowest output in his entire career, his famous body work was missing because Canelo took that away. GGG missed more shots in both bouts than he's ever missed, ironically, so did Jacobs when he recently fought Canelo. Canelo, for me, won both fights against GGG, but if you were going to argue a draw, it was for the first fight, not the second. If you're genuinely scoring the bout using the proper criteria, it's a Canelo win all day, every day, and twice on Sunday.