Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sphinx

LucidElement

Would like to here your thoughts. For those who did or did not know  -  that only the head of the Sphinx in Egypt was visible through the sand for thousands of years? The body was discovered in the late 1800s. Some believe that the head of the Sphinx which is quite small relative to the body, was originally an Anubis head that was later replaced with a human head by Pharaoh Khafra who built the 2nd pyramid of Giza..

According to the Smithsonian Channel "some archeologists also noticed that the head is to small for the large lions body" & Not all human headed animals of great antiquity are sphinx's. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/videos/category/smithsonian-channel/this-wasnt-supposed-to-be-a-sphinx/

Pretty interesting.

• Like 2

Q: Why did the sphinx cross the road?. 

A: To avoid hundreds of years of foolish speculation by lunatics. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Is it true that you tickle The Sphinx behind the ear, the secret entrance opens, and there's a Visitor Center with underground multi-storey parking and a KFC?

• Haha 8

I can't find it myself but I know we've had such a thread in the past, perhaps some years ago. It's not new. The Sphinx as Anubis the "theory" of the fringe writer Robert Temple. It's fairly absurd on the face of it. Perhaps more is the case, we've debated this idea in any number of other Sphinx threads, which are none too few.

So necause I failed to find the old thread, I have no real cause to close this one. Carry on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

I can't find it myself but I know we've had such a thread in the past, perhaps some years ago. It's not new. The Sphinx as Anubis the "theory" of the fringe writer Robert Temple. It's fairly absurd on the face of it. Perhaps more is the case, we've debated this idea in any number of other Sphinx threads, which are none too few.

So necause I failed to find the old thread, I have no real cause to close this one. Carry on.

Thanks KMt,

kmt, if the head was visible and seen prior to the 1800s , in your opinion , what stopped individuals earlier from digging further to see if anything was connected to the head ?

Why wait till 1800s to search beyond the head just sticking out?

I believe it was known there was more to the statue. It was pointless to dig it out unless someone was going to pony up the money to keep the sand out.

Two threads on the subject at the forum:

Anubis the Original Sphinx?

Was the sphinx supposed to be Anubis?

The first one is really old, the second one's last post was two years ago.

This site-specific google search turns up two pages of sphinx threads that reference the Anubis angle:

sphinx "anubis" site:Unexplained-mysteries.com

Harte

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lord Harry said:

I HATE CAT MEMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DefiniteGiantHagfish-small.gif

• Haha 5

23 hours ago, LucidElement said:

Some believe that the head of the Sphinx which is quite small relative to the body, was originally an Anubis head that was later replaced with a human head by Pharaoh Khafra who built the 2nd pyramid of Giza..

I don't think it was a God to begin with.  I think it was more like a national animal, a spirit animal symbolizing the entire country.  Also a symbol of sovereignty.

Plus the Sphinx fits within the Golden Ratio.  A wolf is one of the best examples.

14 hours ago, LucidElement said:

Thanks KMt,

kmt, if the head was visible and seen prior to the 1800s , in your opinion , what stopped individuals earlier from digging further to see if anything was connected to the head ?

Why wait till 1800s to search beyond the head just sticking out?

They didn't have professional excavation teams back then.

giphy.gif

• Haha 7

22 hours ago, acute said:

Is it true that you tickle The Sphinx behind the ear, the secret entrance opens, and there's a Visitor Center with underground multi-storey parking and a KFC?

That is ridiculous. 

It is not a KFC, its a McDonalds.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

It is not a KFC, its a McDonalds.

Yep. You can tell because of the 'shiek  with fries'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Stiff said:

Yep. You can tell because of the 'shiek  with fries'

It's funny, but should be "sheikh with fries" for the pun to work properly.  :rolleyes:

So close, you threw it out there, but it doesn't quite work right:

giphy.gif

Edited by The Wistman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, The Wistman said:

Funny, but should be "sheikh with fries" for the pun to work properly.  :rolleyes:

So close, you threw it out there, but it doesn't quite work right:

My bad

LQpv.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, MysticWolf said:

I don't think it was a God to begin with.  I think it was more like a national animal, a spirit animal symbolizing the entire country.  Also a symbol of sovereignty.

Plus the Sphinx fits within the Golden Ratio.  A wolf is one of the best examples.

..maybe you'd like to demonstrate how this is true? People around here usually just get hard over using the term with no knowledge of what it actually means, and I fail to see how (on its face) the Sphinx "fits in" with something not even described until the Greeks.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MysticWolf said:

I think I tried to explain this to you before. The "Golden Ratio" fits everything and it's just a trick of geometry. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

I think I tried to explain this to you before. The "Golden Ratio" fits everything and it's just a trick of geometry. 

It's more than a trick, I think nobody has truly scientifically explored it yet.

B.T.W. I still have you on ignore Jay.

1 minute ago, MysticWolf said:

scientifically explored.

Mathematically explored? 

3 hours ago, MysticWolf said:

So they stick this national monument in a cemetery? :unsure2:

Harte

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

..maybe you'd like to demonstrate how this is true? People around here usually just get hard over using the term with no knowledge of what it actually means, and I fail to see how (on its face) the Sphinx "fits in" with something not even described until the Greeks.

--Jaylemurph

Well, ye see, Jayle, you puts the spirally thang over a pic of the sphinx. Then you enlarge or redoose it and move it around on the sphinx until you have three or four points you can claim "match."

That there's how you does it.

Harte

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Harte said:

So they stick this national monument in a cemetery? :unsure2:

Harte

Cemetery is more than likely afterwards.

Maybe the cemetery is full of dead invaders?

I can imagine a mindset similar to this:

1ac5se.jpg

Edited by MysticWolf