Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Goddess of the Mist

The Past

12 posts in this topic

Goddess of the Mist

I've often heard it said that it's best not to dwell on the past, just let it go, etc.  But I often find myself really mulling over some past circumstance or situation.  Often I have to do just that - force myself to stop thinking about it and do something else.  But other times, I find that it helps to clear the air.  Sometimes looking back on past things with a new perspective gives you fresh insight that you didn't have before.  This can be really helpful in solving a past problem, or letting go of something that used to bother you.  So I don't know about this whole "don't dwell on the past" thing.  I actually think it's okay as long as you don't let it ruin your day!  

Image result for past thoughts

• Like 4

Habitat

Reflecting on the past is entirely healthy, so long as you don't overdo it !  Quite often, what seemed confusing in the long ago, comes in to sharper focus with the benefit of hindsight, and accumulated experience. It would be pretty hard to learn life's lessons, without such retrospection. But another thing, that is not often realised, is that in the realm of the psyche, what happened yesterday, is no closer than what happened decades ago. That isn't the way people think in waking life, but in the inner workings of the mind, time does not reign.

• Like 7

Not A Rockstar

I find the past is a critical resource to find the roots of issues we have today and didn't realize were issues before. It also is true, IMO, that if we do not understand our past we will never understand our present as well as we could.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Goddess of the Mist
20 hours ago, Habitat said:

But another thing, that is not often realised, is that in the realm of the psyche, what happened yesterday, is no closer than what happened decades ago. That isn't the way people think in waking life, but in the inner workings of the mind, time does not reign.

Very interesting! I hadn't thought of it that way, but now that you mention it I can see how true that is. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• Like 1

Not A Rockstar

@Habitat 's point about the timing is key to shadow work (Jung). This has been pivotal for me in my life though I was late finding out his work in it (thank you 8Bits), I just did a version of it for myself until I got into his work. 

openozy

I don't think you can let the past go,its etched into your brain.I don't think its good to endulge yourself in it, be it good or bad.Its good to remember though so we can try not to make those stupid decisions again and better our lives.

RabidMongoose
On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 4:50 AM, Goddess of the Mist said:

I've often heard it said that it's best not to dwell on the past, just let it go, etc.  But I often find myself really mulling over some past circumstance or situation.  Often I have to do just that - force myself to stop thinking about it and do something else.  But other times, I find that it helps to clear the air.  Sometimes looking back on past things with a new perspective gives you fresh insight that you didn't have before.  This can be really helpful in solving a past problem, or letting go of something that used to bother you.  So I don't know about this whole "don't dwell on the past" thing.  I actually think it's okay as long as you don't let it ruin your day!  

Image result for past thoughts

How long has the current you existed? I ask that because you are constantly changing your atoms and your cells. You are not the same person you were in the past. That person is long gone and no longer exists.

Your identity, your self-perceptions, your memories, are continued on by you. Its your choice to do so. But while everything else is changing (including your atoms and cells), while everything comes into and out of existence, for some reason you wont move on mentally.

You should see yourself as a process that only exists in the present, because ultimately thats are you all.

• Like 1

Aaron2016
1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

How long has the current you existed? I ask that because you are constantly changing your atoms and your cells. You are not the same person you were in the past. That person is long gone and no longer exists.

Your identity, your self-perceptions, your memories, are continued on by you. Its your choice to do so. But while everything else is changing (including your atoms and cells), while everything comes into and out of existence, for some reason you wont move on mentally.

You should see yourself as a process that only exists in the present, because ultimately thats are you all.

Funny you should mention that.  I just heard Victor Meldrew talking about that very thing in this episode of 'One Foot in the Grave'.

Skip to 5.20

Episode - Timeless Time

Edited by Aaron2016

Goddess of the Mist

@RabidMongoose I do understand what you're saying about the changing cells and atoms.  What is it, something like every 7 years everything has been replaced?  But that doesn't mean that events that have taken place in the past never happened.  Hence, that's why I commented about seeing things with a new perspective and fresh insight.  Perhaps that's why we're able to do that - because we are completely different!  

Do you ever think about your own past?  I don't think it necessarily means you don't move on mentally, if you do.  If anything, it may help us to move on mentally.

• Like 1

Mr Guitar

Sometimes we want things in our past to go away. I've been trying to get rid of experiences from my service in Vietnam for 50 years and they're still with  me every single day of my life. I've just recently filed for PTSD disability through the VA and writing my 'Stressor Letter' was one of the hardest things I've ever done, even this far removed from it. Sure, it's nice to be able to go back and reflect on early memories and experiences - sometimes not so nice. YMMV.

• Like 2

Goddess of the Mist

@Mr Guitar 

Absolutely, Mr Guitar. It can be very unpleasant looking back, but some things are very hard to tune out. Sometimes certain things can trigger the memories. I wish you well and hope things work out. 

Habitat
10 hours ago, Mr Guitar said:

Sometimes we want things in our past to go away. I've been trying to get rid of experiences from my service in Vietnam for 50 years and they're still with  me every single day of my life. I've just recently filed for PTSD disability through the VA and writing my 'Stressor Letter' was one of the hardest things I've ever done, even this far removed from it. Sure, it's nice to be able to go back and reflect on early memories and experiences - sometimes not so nice. YMMV.

Has anything helped ?