Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mammoth cloning 'will be successful in 10 years'

Still Waters

Born-again beasts will roam in Ice Age Park in Yakutia, said Aisen Nikolaev, head of Yakutia region.

Yakutia - also called the Sakha Republic - is the largest region in the Russian Federation - and most famous for diamonds. 

But this may change when the extinct woolly beast is cloned back to life. 

Acting head of the region Aisen Nikolaev said that co-operation between Russian, South Korean and Japanese scientists will see this ‘miracle’ happen within a decade. 

The prospect was no longer fantastical, he said.

https://siberiantimes.com/science/opinion/news/cloning-of-woolly-mammoth-will-be-successful-in-next-ten-years-predicts-head-of-region-earmarked-for-their-home/

• Like 7

• The title was changed to Mammoth cloning 'will be successful in 10 years'

Why?  Things don't go extinct for no reason.

Edited by OverSword
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Why not bring back species humans have caused to become extinct?

• Like 5

I like the idea.    There are places that can support mammoths (Russia, Canada).   

I don't like the thought of bringing any predators back.   Animals have a hard enough time surviving today to introduce more predators.  

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/09/18/woolly-mammoths-will-roam-new-jurassic-park-style-theme-park-with-cave-lions-and-extinct-horses-in-ten-years-russian-scientists-say.html

Long extinct cave lions may be about to rise from their icy graves and prowl once more alongside woolly mammoths and ancient horses in a real-life Jurassic Park.

In less than 10 years, it is hoped the fearsome big cats will be released from an underground lab as part of a remarkable plan to populate a remote spot in Russia with Ice Age animals cloned from preserved DNA.

Experiments are already underway to create the lions and also extinct ancient horses found in Yakutia, Siberia, seen as a prelude to restoring the mammoth.

Regional leader Aisen Nikolaev forecast that cooperation between Russian, South Korean and Japanese scientists will see the “miracle” return of woolly mammoths inside 10 years.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It sounds all very nice but what about the poachers? If we can't protect our elephants and rhinos now how can we stop them from killing their bigger ancestors?

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 6:15 PM, Myles said:

I like the idea.    There are places that can support mammoths (Russia, Canada).   

I don't like the thought of bringing any predators back.   Animals have a hard enough time surviving today to introduce more predators.  

Well, bringing back a wolf population in Yellowstone saved the park... https://www.yellowstonepark.com/things-to-do/wolf-reintroduction-changes-ecosystem

• Like 2

This is kind of cruel in a way. If there is a global warming crisis why bring back animals from the ice age which couldnt handle the heat 14,000 years ago? 

Edited by Nnicolette

Tundra is pale in color, it bounces a lot of light and heat back out to space, it also provides little insulation/protection from winter cold so freezes deeply. Forest is dark in color, It absorbs heat and provides significant insulation to the ground, thus causing it to freeze less deep in winter and thaw deeper in summer. When our ancestors drove the tree and shrub killing megafauna to extinction the forest crept back across the tundra, all of the extra heat and insulation is now raising the air and ground temperatures causing the Permafrost to thaw which will release more greenhouse gasses than Humans have released since the industrial revolution. Returning the entire ecosystem (predators included) back to its previous state could literally save the entire planet by preventing the Permafrost positive feedback loop from getting any worse. 

• Like 1

Something I ask myself, every time I see people talking about reviving mammoths and the like; why does nobody seem to want to revive dodos? Their habitat is already more or less still intact, there are tree species that still cater to them. Is it a lack of DNA? I'd love to see dodos running around again.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2018 at 4:34 PM, Bunzilla said:

Something I ask myself, every time I see people talking about reviving mammoths and the like; why does nobody seem to want to revive dodos? Their habitat is already more or less still intact, there are tree species that still cater to them. Is it a lack of DNA? I'd love to see dodos running around again.

Some group are working to bring back the passenger pigeon, the problem is finding the good material and comprehend it.

Old link about it there: http://reviverestore.org/why-birds-are-a-challenge/

You get to pick the one you want to eat.