Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Four distinct personality types identified

Still Waters

Personality tests are hugely popular, though if you ask working psychologists, they'll tell you the results are little better than astrological signs.

But a new study, based on huge sets of personality data representing 1.5 million people, has persuaded one of the staunchest critics of personality tests to conclude that maybe distinct personality types exist, after all.

In a report published Monday in the journal Nature Human Behavior, researchers at Northwestern University in Illinois identify four personality types: reserved, role models, average and self-centered.

https://www.sciencealert.com/sophisticated-psychological-algorithm-has-identified-four-distinct-personality-types

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Four distinct personality types identified

This is not new though. Personality profiling has been used to try to catch serial killers...they have categories for them too, : antisocial personality disorders. 

personality types can be a mix of what they class as 'types'. Someone can be reserved and self centered. 

and what is an "average" personality type? 

the article is one study, there have been many before....and no doubt as people evolve and lifestyles change, there will be more.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

I am sure their are some who would argue there are only two types/traits, male and female. ;)  

I thought i would look it up as i keep hearing about new names cropping up because some people are not content with being a male or female....and jeeeeze!

http://thepbhscloset.weebly.com/a-list-of-genders--sexualities-and-their-definitions.html

And then there is this list (too long to post)

This is all getting rather ridiculous, people want to be individuals and different, but their food all goes down  one hole and all comes out the other.

Edited by Saru
Replaced quoted material with a link
  • Thanks 2

A friend of mine was Pepsi VP for human resources, and he also worked for other big corporations in the same capacity; he uses Myers-Briggs personality testing on the company work force...for placement, compatibility, and general contentment purposes.  It is fairly regularly used in this way these days.  Based on Jungian concepts, Myers and Briggs devised a test devolving into 16 personality types:

I'm an INFP.  That is to say, few corporations would ever hire me!

https://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/the-16-mbti-types.htm?bhcp=1

https://www.16personalities.com/personality-types

• Like 2

On 9/18/2018 at 1:03 PM, XenoFish said:

So you've looked up a list of self-delusions free2roam.

Ones we are expected to cater too.  :blink:

4 hours ago, The Wistman said:

I'm an INFP.  That is to say, few corporations would ever hire me!

But seeing your posts in here, your father is smiling in the Universal Consciousness.  So **** the corporations. :yes:

• Thanks 1

I did a Myers Briggs test this year at work already. I told everyone in the department in no uncertain terms that I thought it was BS. 

I came back as "The Colonel" type or some such nonsense. I was logical, organised, bossy and immune to other peoples' feelings. Something which shouldn't surprise a lot of people. 

2 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

I did a Myers Briggs test this year at work already. I told everyone in the department in no uncertain terms that I thought it was BS. 

I came back as "The Colonel" type or some such nonsense. I was logical, organised, bossy and immune to other peoples' feelings. Something which shouldn't surprise a lot of people. 

But we still love you.:lol:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

But we still love you.:lol:

:wub: The feeling's more than mutual

However, probably count yourself lucky you don't work with me!

• Haha 1

Just now, Emma_Acid said:

:wub: The feeling's more than mutual

However, probably count yourself lucky you don't work with me!

Hey I'm neurotic, my worries have anxieties about my worries.:blink:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Piney said:

But seeing your posts in here, your father is smiling in the Universal Consciousness.  So **** the corporations. :yes:

Shucks Piney, I'm blushing.  BTW...thanks to my Dad's guidance, I don't have to look to corporations for my daily bread.  So yeah, **** them!

• Thanks 1