Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Group offers $11,700 for proof of superpowers

UM-Bot

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 4:34 AM, LucidElement said:

whats our thoughts on Edgar Cayce and Uri Geller?

Uri Geller is an illusionist.

• Like 3

Hasn't someone offered a million already?

What's this supposed to accomplish?

On 9/18/2018 at 2:02 PM, Rockc819 said:

That’s an oddly specific amount of prize money.

They probably couldn't get any more money together. 

On 9/18/2018 at 1:18 PM, Talion78 said:

I'd love someone to prove they could, but I doubt it.

If anyone has a significant talent and moderate intelligence, why would that person expose themselves  rather than stay anonymous?  You would be exposed to a world of people who wanted something from you and at least a few who didn't care how they got it.

Now maybe Uri Geller may have the right approach.  He can use his psy ability, if he has any,  and make sure people believe it is a trick.  Then he doesn't get bothered overmuch.

6 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

If anyone has a significant talent and moderate intelligence, why would that person expose themselves  rather than stay anonymous?  You would be exposed to a world of people who wanted something from you and at least a few who didn't care how they got it.

I would come forward if I found I had some sort of extra ability. I'm human, as such, I assume that study of said ability might open it up to others, and would teach us a whole new branch of science. 

6 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Now maybe Uri Geller may have the right approach.  He can use his psy ability, if he has any,  and make sure people believe it is a trick.  Then he doesn't get bothered overmuch.

Uri Geller is not exactly what I would consider respected. He's a tarnished cheat. 

• Like 3

I can pull out wayward nostril hairs without sneezing ... when do I get my cheque

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FTR, yes James Randi's group had $1m on offer for many years, but given that every applicant failed their own friggin' initial tests, they have now suspended it as it was a huge waste of time.  I doubt it will be coming back.

Basically, applicants were given the freedom to design their own initial test, which was then subject to approval (for obvious reasons) by a panel including a scientist and a magician - ie folks who knew the tricks.  The initial test had to be in an environment where the conditions were examined carefully for any cheating, and the results obviously had to be either successful or significantly better than chance.  Once all was agreed - and no-one forced the applicants to do anything that wasn't a reasonable initial test - the applicant had to pass their own test before going into a more rigorous test to get the $1m.

They all failed. At the initial tests they designed.

As I've said in the past, I find the "they don't want to share their powers" thing a copout.  If we could harness these alleged 'powers' and develop them, just think about the benefits to society.  They would have to be very selfish not to share this to benefit mankind.  And nowadays, they could use anonymous techniques to do it anyway.  Publicly.  Openly.  Provably, with a bit of work.  And yet do you see anyone seriously doing it?  The reason why is pretty obvious, and has nothing to do with self-protection...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 22/09/2018 at 2:29 PM, GlitterRose said:

Hasn't someone offered a million already?

What's this supposed to accomplish?

To get people who make claims to put up or shut up. Claiming you have super powers is not a harmless jape. It changes peoples' beliefs around what is real and what isn't, and damages the perception of evidence based science.

As has been pointed out, every single person who attempted the Randi Million Dollar challenge failed - on tests of their own design. I think this is pretty reasonable evidence that these "abilities" don't exist in the first place, non?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2018-09-18 at 8:26 PM, XenoFish said:

Another prize no one will win.

That is also some sort of superpower

On 9/18/2018 at 2:34 PM, acute said:

I know someone who could easily win that, and he could've won Randi's million, but he won't come forward.

He prefers his life just the way it is.

I'm not criticizing you just my 2 cents is keep this to yourself. For 1 you gotta admit it's a bit tiring when someone makes an extraordinary claim without any evidence whatsoever and 2 it's a good habit to keep the mouth shut in general. Pen is mightier than the sword but the tongue quickly gets you in trouble.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, internetperson said:

I'm not criticizing you just my 2 cents is keep this to yourself. For 1 you gotta admit it's a bit tiring when someone makes an extraordinary claim without any evidence whatsoever and 2 it's a good habit to keep the mouth shut in general. Pen is mightier than the sword but the tongue quickly gets you in trouble.

I was relaying a personal experience, not making a claim.

Most users on UM would have heard of a Psi Ball before I mentioned it. Therefore, it is not an unknown phenomenon, and my example cannot be the first.

Edited by acute

1 hour ago, acute said:

I was relaying a personal experience, not making a claim.

Most users on UM would have heard of a Psi Ball before I mentioned it. Therefore, it is not an unknown phenomenon, and my example cannot be the first.

It's not a validated phenomena. I used to make them all the time. Got to the point where I could generate a visual hallucination and see them. Also called Flaring. As in flaring a psi-ball. I've built many a construct as well. But, there is absolutely no way to prove it's real. Unless it's tested. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

It's not a validated phenomena. I used to make them all the time. Got to the point where I could generate a visual hallucination and see them. Also called Flaring. As in flaring a psi-ball. I've built many a construct as well. But, there is absolutely no way to prove it's real. Unless it's tested. 

Assuming you've seen the infamous chi karate guy who was exposed on...some cable show (don't remember)? It's on youtube I post it here often. They make psi balls in it. 

I don't go after these folks cause (in part) frankly I'm a nice guy. I know christians that are absolutely awesome folks and great friends so I don't try and point out the holes in their beliefs. Same thing I guess. That being said I do not like 'psi balls' or whatever in karate or anything related to martial arts cause that is harmful for kids and anyone open to this type of belief system. 

6 minutes ago, internetperson said:

Assuming you've seen the infamous chi karate guy who was exposed on...some cable show (don't remember)? It's on youtube I post it here often. They make psi balls in it. 

I don't go after these folks cause (in part) frankly I'm a nice guy. I know christians that are absolutely awesome folks and great friends so I don't try and point out the holes in their beliefs. Same thing I guess. That being said I do not like 'psi balls' or whatever in karate or anything related to martial arts cause that is harmful for kids and anyone open to this type of belief system. 

That's all well and good, but the good christians keep to themselves. The good/casual/experimenters in the occult and paranormal tend to keep to themselves as well. Hell I wouldn't even be a member of UM if it wasn't for a thread asking what certain sigils meant. But if you're going to claim some supernormal ability. Know full well you'll be challenged on it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How can I enjoy my money after I have been dissected....

Unless I have the power of restructuring meat. 

Capture.JPG

Edited by TripGun

On 16/10/2018 at 2:44 PM, Senkoujin said:

Meh, it's not worth bothering compared to the ole one-million dollars offer.

If you are referring to the James Randi/JREF offer, it has now been (sort of) discontinued, as they were sick of all the claimants wasting their time - when tested using their own criteria, all claimants failed the tests that they helped design, and that they agreed to as a fair preliminary test..

Apparently JREF may continue with it at a later date, but the way in which people apply/get nominated will change..

http://web.randi.org/home/jref-status

• Like 2

On 16/10/2018 at 5:44 AM, Senkoujin said:

Meh, it's not worth bothering compared to the ole one-million dollars offer.

If these abilities actually existed it would change the world. Isn't that enough?

• Thanks 1