Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are they really the same?

zep73

In the Tanakh (Old Testament) there are three entities that, nowadays, are attributed to the Devil, but nothing in the OT claims them to be the same.

1: The snake of Eden.
2: Satan. Gods servant who tested Job.
3: Lucifer, who was expelled from Heaven.

Those three are not connected in the OT! They might as well be three different characters!

What is your theory, and what do you base it on?

Note:
This is a discussion about the entities from the Tanakh!
This does not include newer scriptures like the New Testament or the Quran! Please try to limit the source of your reply to the Tanakh (Old Testament)! Thanks!

I'd always assumed the snake was a sort of mouthpiece or representative of whoever it was, G*d or the Evil One. If you were keen on conspiracy theories you might suggest that it was G*d himself (who, as we know, and as Job would certainly tell you, was fond of playing pranks on his loyal subjects) that deliberately tempted them to test their obedience. And on the subject of Job, Satan is certainly still a loyal employee there isn't he. He probably took a fairly liberal interpretation of his instructions, and was probably already planning to go freelance, but he was certainly only following orders at that stage.  So whether it's the same one or not, it certainly proves fairly conclusively that G*d or Jahweh or whatever you want to call him was, in layman's terms, a smug, sadistic b*st*rd. 

• Like 2

No matter which term you use for 'the devil' he was only mentioned as "the adversary" in the bible. I dont actually know of a place in the OT where he was actually called evil, bad, rambunctious or anything such as that. Whether or not the 3 you mention are one in the same is open to debate. Personally, i feel they all describe the same being.
People believe what they wish. Same as the horrid demonic pictures you see representing satan, actually he was the light bringer and probably a good looking fellow as far as angels go. Regardless i dont believe such an entity exist anyways. Man is evil enough on his own, we dont need a b***** to egg us on into mischief.

Edited by jamesjr191