Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

North Korea to scrap nuclear missile sites

Vorg

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea has agreed to “permanently” abolish its key missile facilities in the presence of foreign experts, and is willing to close its main nuclear complex if the United States takes reciprocal action, South Korea’s President Moon Jae-in said on Wednesday.

Speaking at a joint news conference following their summit talks in Pyongyang, Moon and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said they agreed to turn the Korean peninsula into a “land of peace without nuclear weapons and nuclear threats.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-southkorea-summit/two-koreas-aim-for-agreement-to-unlock-nuclear-talks-idUSKCN1LY30R

Glad to see this. All they had to do was talk, so I hope it follows through.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Good ol' Dennis ROdman may be in line for a Global Defense MVP Title then ?

~

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, South Alabam said:

Glad to see this. All they had to do was talk, so I hope it follows through.

I have no trust or faith in Kim. He's a sneak and he is the epitome of the WV Hill billy saying "A person can be clever and not be smart". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kim should keep his nukes as a deterrent to foreign aggression, the western governments have proven time and again that they are not to be trusted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Piney said:

I have no trust or faith in Kim. He's a sneak and he is the epitome of the WV Hill billy saying "A person can be clever and not be smart". 

Hopefully he will allow all the needed inspectors in to witness the dismantling and destruction process of the nuclear missile sites and nuclear complexes.. I'm pretty sure our Government knows what they have, so hopefully he won't try to conceal anything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FurriesRock said:

Kim should keep his nukes as a deterrent to foreign aggression, the western governments have proven time and again that they are not to be trusted.

If he was to disarm, then the U.S call for a regime change, this government would stand no chance of ever hoping a nation like North Korea would disarm voluntarily. Hopefully they disarm, and then sanctions are lifted helping to feed these people.

15 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

I'm pretty sure our Government knows what they have, so hopefully he won't try to conceal anything.

He can't hide anything from the Echelon-Tempest system.  We know exactly what he has and where. The problem is he's too dumb and his technology is too backwards to realize the the true scope of ours. So there is a good chance he'll try something greasy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reciprocal action can mean anything up to and including the US getting rid of all it's nuclear weapons.  I would like to actually hear the terms of the deal before cheering, personally.

• Like 3

Complete disarmament is way off. Nuclear weapons are important for Kim because he has a poor country surrounded by titans and the risks for NK are great in giving up such an advantage. But steps in that direction are achievable and worth pursuiing. Do not let perfect be the enemy of good ... peace is more important than disarmament, which can still be the long-term goal. South Korea should take the lead and they seem to be doing so with good results so far.

• Thanks 1

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-southkorea-summit/u-s-ready-to-restart-talks-with-north-korea-immediately-pompeo-idUSKCN1LY30R

SEOUL/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States is ready to restart negotiations with North Korea “immediately”, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Wednesday, with the aim of completing North Korea’s denuclearization by January 2021.

Lets find out what Fat Man really wants before we start clapping, I would rather trust a Great White in the local swimming Pool than trust his antics.(Note that his comment is that if the U.S.A takes reciprocal action).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-southkorea-summit-moon/north-koreas-kim-wants-another-trump-summit-to-speed-denuclearization-souths-moon-idUSKCN1M01KE

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea’s Kim Jong Un wants a second summit with U.S. President Donald Trump soon to hasten denuclearization, but a key goal is declaring an end this year to the 1950-53 Korean War, the South’s President Moon Jae-in said on Thursday.

“Chairman Kim expressed his wish that he wanted to complete denuclearization quickly and focus on economic development,” Moon told a news conference in Seoul, shortly after returning from the summit with Kim in Pyongyang.

Maybe there is one large misunderstanding about this issue. Stopping development and tests doesn't translate into giving up North's nuclear arsenal. It's far from that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keep the dialogue going; it calms the little guy down and bugs the hell out of the Russians and Chinese. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Keep the dialogue going; it calms the little guy down and bugs the hell out of the Russians and Chinese. 

I'm not so sure about that.  Kim talks to the Russians and Chinese far more than he has talked to Trump.  Both of them are violating the sanctions the US placed on North Korea as well.  Pretty sure he has both of them in the background whispering "words of advice" in this whole deal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gromdor said:

I'm not so sure about that.  Kim talks to the Russians and Chinese far more than he has talked to Trump.  Both of them are violating the sanctions the US placed on North Korea as well.  Pretty sure he has both of them in the background whispering "words of advice" in this whole deal.

But, China and Russia each have the power of veto. If there's no obligation, where's the violation? 

i really doubt us would even try to change regime there,  NK is Russia\china puppet, with nukes.  at this time sanctions is all usa can do.  if usa could change regime there we would try it already.