Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chicks hatched from supermarket eggs

Eldorado

A woman has sensationally claimed that several little chicks hatched from supermarket eggs while she was away on holiday. According to local media, she went away with her partner for three weeks and returned to the sound of strange noises in their flat in Moscow, Russia. The couple reportedly thought the sound was coming from faulty electrics but then found several of the eggs left on the kitchen windowsill had begun hatching.

Full tale with cute pics: https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/18/woman-claims-chicks-hatched-from-supermarket-eggs-while-she-was-on-holiday-7955366/

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I always keep eggs in the fridge.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

I always keep eggs in the fridge.

I am pretty sure I once read that, eggs shouldn't be kept in a fridge because I remember, someone asking "why do they have the special egg holders in them then?".... I keep eggs on the side in egg holders.. I am fortunate around here that I don't buy Supermarket eggs, we have local farmers and hen enthusiasts that sell them at the end of their drives, I more fortunate that a friend who has a small holding on the edge of the moors, gives me mine for free..I Did have several rescue hens I saved from the local chicken factory of death and they did supply us with lovely eggs... 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

I am pretty sure I once read that, eggs shouldn't be kept in a fridge because I remember, someone asking "why do they have the special egg holders in them then?".... I keep eggs on the side in egg holders..

I think it depends which article you read. This one says the opposite:

‘Eggs are at their best when stored at a consistent temperature, so we recommend keeping them in the fridge on the middle shelf.’

http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/food/food-news/where-to-store-eggs

I've never used fridge egg holders, I just put the box of eggs on the shelf instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, they had strange chicks in their apartment...how many people can say that without getting into trouble with their partners...:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Serious note though...who buys eggs before the go away for three weeks? Interesting...

• Like 2

It all depends on whether you buy fertilized eggs for consumption or not.  The big egg factories in Iowa are all hens laying unfertilized eggs so the chance of a chick being born or having a gross half formed chicken is nil.  Regular farms might very well have a rooster and sell fertilized eggs which will naturally turn into chicks if kept at an ideal temperature.

• Like 2

How about her patner was pranking her in a nice way then didn't have the heart to tell her it was a prank, especially after she'd shared her find with half the world.

Or whoever was keeping an eye on their flat pranked them both.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

pff, that is nothing, few hundreds of eggs were thrown away by a store, and they hatched at the land field in Georgia.

Edited by aztek

3 hours ago, Gromdor said:

It all depends on whether you buy fertilized eggs for consumption or not.  The big egg factories in Iowa are all hens laying unfertilized eggs so the chance of a chick being born or having a gross half formed chicken is nil.  Regular farms might very well have a rooster and sell fertilized eggs which will naturally turn into chicks if kept at an ideal temperature.

It's pretty long odds that they would hatch.   Incubating temps are between 99.5 and 102 degrees F.

• Like 1