Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant spiders' web covers Greek beach

Still Waters

A Greek beach has been turned into an arachnophobe’s worst nightmare, as spiders have covered it in a web some 300 metres long.

A video, posted to YouTube by Giannis Giannakopoulos, shows the beach at the town of Aitoliko in western Greece under siege from the dense web.

The web has been built by spiders of the Tetragnatha genus. They are often known as stretch spiders, as they have elongated bodies – and in another worrying development for those who fear spiders – Tetragnatha extensa are small enough and light enough to be able to run across water faster than they can move on land.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/20/giant-spiders-web-covers-aitoliko-greek-beach-mating-season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45572331

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I just died a little on the inside

• Like 2

It's 1000 feet of spider webs. It's not one continuous web. That title is a bit misleading.

As much as I'd want to take a flame thrower to it, I bet it's really helping cull the mosquito population, which also spikes when it's humid.

• Like 3

That's a whole lotta nope.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This just gives me chills.... very allergic to spider bites. :angry:

Cool, but creepy at the same time. Just looking at the article pics is enough to send shivers down my spine.