Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Famous optical illusion — what do you see?

Still Waters

"My Wife and My Mother-in-Law" is one of the most well-known optical illusions in the world.

It hinges on facial perception: You can either see a young woman turning away or the profile of an older woman staring solemnly towards the left side of the drawing. However, you can only see one at a time.

If you've ever wondered why you see whichever woman you see first, an Australian study conducted by two psychology professors concluded that it has to do with your age.

https://www.thisisinsider.com/study-says-age-affects-optical-illusion-2018-9

The study claimed that whichever woman you saw first depended on your age — people between 18 and 30 tended to see the young woman first, whereas people over 30 first spotted the older woman.

Not true in my case. I saw the young woman first and I'm a long way over 30.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Me too, and I am 70!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I see Donald Trump! 

• Haha 5

Where is the old woman ? Just kidding, but it took a while, and I sometimes wish I was 30 again, but can't remember back that far !

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Me too - although I do still thing of myself as 25 :D 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I saw the old woman first. But I've got a truly vile hangover today, so perhaps it's that. Mid 40's. 

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I saw the old woman first. However, on my small computer monitor, I couldn't see the entire picture (I had to scroll from left-to-right, and up-and-down)

• Like 4

I saw the young woman....I had to look for a couple minutes until the old bird popped up !     

I'm  a little over 30....twice.

• Like 5

I saw Yanny first then looking harder, I saw Laurel.

Seriously though, I struggled to see the old woman at first , especially in the cropped image but the older woman stood out more in the full image. 

And I'm just over a half century old.

• Like 4

When I glanced at it I saw the young woman, when I was much younger and saw it for the first time I saw the old woman first.

Edited by newbloodmoon
  • Like 4

I saw the old woman, as expected. As one of the oldest members here, I think, well.... to me she didn't look that bad. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

I saw an old woman the first time I saw this, way before I was thirty. Now I see a painting by Toulouse-Lautrec. 

• Like 3

When I saw the cropped image on the front page I thought it was an ol woman. When I clicked in and saw the entire picture it was clearly young. Too bad I saw the cropped version now I’ll never know.

• Like 4

I saw the young lady first, then the older lady and I'm old enough to have a 30 yr old.   

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 9/24/2018 at 10:54 AM, kobolds said:

I don't get it , I only see young women , where's the old women ? and i 50

Same here. I came to the comments hoping someone could point the old woman out to me. I can't see it... and I'm oooold.

• Like 1

I see them both at the same time. What's happening to me!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Calibeliever said:

Same here. I came to the comments hoping someone could point the old woman out to me. I can't see it... and I'm oooold.

Finally saw it. The necklace is the old woman's mouth and the bottom of the neckline is her chin. hth

• Like 1

So many of these great optical illusions . I�m 33 saw the younger then older, but I�ve seem that picture years ago. Those are always fun.

Remember those magic eye books?

• Like 1

I seen the old woman first but i can also see the younger lady as well but it seems my brain wants to see the old lady if i focus on looking at the young lady i keep reverting back to only seeing the old lady. Very interesting optical illusion im 45 years old

Edited by GoldenRabbit
  • Like 1

I saw the young woman first and the old woman a bit later. I'm 63.

• Like 1