Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mars trip radiation exposure levels revealed

UM-Bot

We should probably develop radiation shielding that works before we send anything other than robots well outside the protective envelope of earth's magnetosphere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think shielding is a difficult technical challenge, water can be used but it would add weight to any spacecraft and so it's back to the old problem of launching heavy payloads along with pushing and fuelling a heavy ship.  

2 hours ago, Seti42 said:

We should probably develop radiation shielding that works before we send anything other than robots well outside the protective envelope of earth's magnetosphere.

It ain’t so bad.

There are many people willing to take the risk for humanity/the sheer experience of it/whatever floats your boat etc.

I’d do it. Would probably have some sperm frozen first though.

I'm sure at some point in the future, we'll either develop light-weight and effective radiation shielding, or vastly more efficient propulsion systems where all the extra weight won't matter. We just haven't yet.

• Like 2

60% of alleged survivable dose (I say alleged because it's going to vary from person to person) No thank you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

60% of alleged survivable dose (I say alleged because it's going to vary from person to person) No thank you.

60% of the recommended dosage for an astronaut for his whole career, I believe. So just less total trips in space for whoever goes. Not an especially worrying amount for general health.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

60% of the recommended dosage for an astronaut for his whole career, I believe. So just less total trips in space for whoever goes. Not an especially worrying amount for general health.

Unless there is a solar flare perhaps?

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

Unless there is a solar flare perhaps?

I guess. But then they'd have super powers so I don't think they'd care.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I guess. But then they'd have super powers so I don't think they'd care.

True. And when they got back they could run for president bringing us to a new low

16 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

It looks like they have only calculated dosage rates for the flight, not the stop on Mars. So the total exposure could be 100% + of a total recommended limit.

Not sure how that would compare to the risk to life just flying the mission, multiple take off and landings Ect. There are lots of ways to be injured or worse attempting something like this.