Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Archaeologists celebrate iron age treasure

20 posts in this topic

Still Waters

In the year 536 CE, a volcano erupted in El Salvador.

What happened next is fiercely debated, but one hypothesis is that it lead to an extensive but short-lived climate change that was felt across the northern hemisphere.

In Northern Europe it was felt as a string of poor summers and failed harvests.

Numerous Roman sources describe the sun as dark during the day and according to the 6th century Syriac Chronical written by the Zachariah of Mitylene from Greece, there was "great despair among the people."

Ice cores from Greenland pinpoint the year of the eruption to 536 CE, right in the middle of all the gold treasure discovered by amateur archaeologists in fields throughout Scandinavia.

https://phys.org/news/2018-09-archaeologists-celebrate-spectacular-discovery-iron.html?

• Like 5

sci-nerd

This event is also, by some historians, believed to be the spark that started the Viking era.

The theory is that the following cold and dim years (decades?) with crop failure and mass deaths, made the decendants more crude, fierce and martial, looking for resources away from home, eventually resulting in the raids on the baltic and english shores.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Piney
39 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

This event is also, by some historians, believed to be the spark that started the Viking era.

The theory is that the following cold and dim years (decades?) with crop failure and mass deaths, made the decendants more crude, fierce and martial, looking for resources away from home, eventually resulting in the raids on the baltic and english shores.

Right in the beginning of the Vendel Age. 

The Frankish crusades against the Saxons also contributed. The Saxons had connections to the Angles, who were still tight with their close cousins in Sweden. The raids on the monasteries were seen by some historians as "pay back". 

• Like 1

Ozymandias

1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

The first Viking raids on Britain and Ireland did not happen for more than another 250 years! The motive that drove Viking raiding had nothing to do with the 536 etuption.

Edited by Ozymandias

sci-nerd
9 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

The first Viking raids on Britain and Ireland did not happen for more than another 250 years! The motive that drove Viking raiding had nothing to do with the 536 etuption.

That's your theory!

I'm not talking about something happening fast. I'm talking about a change in attitude sparked by a disaster. It could have taken them a hundred years to recover. Another hundred to form a new culture. And finaly the last 50 to become what we now call Vikings.

25 minutes ago, Piney said:

Right in the beginning of the Vendel Age. 

The Frankish crusades against the Saxons also contributed. The Saxons had connections to the Angles, who were still tight with their close cousins in Sweden. The raids on the monasteries were seen by some historians as "pay back". 

Swedes aren't the brightest people :D

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Haha 1

Piney
4 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Swedes aren't the brightest people :D

My guess is your Danish. :yes:

sci-nerd
Just now, Piney said:

My guess is your Danish. :yes:

Guilty as charged :devil:

• Haha 1

Piney
1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

:lol:

Piney
2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I have a Lego room and have the highest respect for you.......

but I have to admit the Swedes made my big chainsaws and the Finns, my competition axes.....:unsure2:

third_eye

The only Danish that needs no dishing

~

[00.03:05]

~

• Thanks 1

sci-nerd
5 minutes ago, Piney said:

I have a Lego room and have the highest respect for you.......

but I have to admit the Swedes made my big chainsaws and the Finns, my competition axes.....:unsure2:

Okay. We have a quantum computer coming soon. A bada$$ one! If all goes well....

• Thanks 1

sci-nerd
6 minutes ago, third_eye said:

The only Danish that needs no dishing

Ian Mothcity? Really? No Agger? No Eriksen? No one that still is remembered by non demented people?

• Like 1

Piney

Okay. We have a quantum computer coming soon. A bada$$ one! If all goes well....

I was in Sweden and Denmark. 2 of the most civilized countries I ever visited. Your emergency services are amazing and the equipment top of the line. 

third_eye
4 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Ian Mothcity? Really? No Agger? No Eriksen? No one that still is remembered by non demented people?

Yup ... Danish cookies are as butter milk as they come ...

~

• Haha 1

sci-nerd
6 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Yup ... Danish cookies are as butter milk as they come ...

Danske småkager er så smørmælkede som de kan være? Hvad betyder det?

third_eye
9 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Danske småkager er så smørmælkede som de kan være? Hvad betyder det?

Take a left then two streets down pass the traffic lights then another left and watch out for the cows ... have a nice day

~

• Haha 2

sci-nerd
7 hours ago, third_eye said:

Take a left then two streets down pass the traffic lights then another left and watch out for the cows ... have a nice day

:D

I thought you were Danish!

• Haha 1

third_eye

I thought you were Danish!

Well. I am quite a Danish but just not quite Dane enough ...

~

sci-nerd
22 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Still Waters

Back on topic please.