Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Roman cemetery found in North Lincolnshire

The Caspian Hare

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-humber-45564334

A Roman cemetery has been unearthed on the site of a housing development in North Lincolnshire.

Dozens of 2,000-year-old skeletons have been found at the site near Winterton where 135 homes are being built.

So far more than 60 graves have been excavated by a team of archaeologists at the 1,500 sq m (16,145 sq ft) site.

Pieces of pottery and "grave goods" left for the dead have been found in the plots containing the remains of men, women and children.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Roman cemetery found in North Lincolnshire

I think there will be an awful lot more Roman remains found in that area in the future. I used to drive a lot round there with my job. It's very much an untouched, agricultural area with some beautiful scenic landscapes and very little in the way of residential housing. A lot of the surrounding areas are the same. Who knows what lay beneath?

• Like 1

Winterton has a history going back to Roman times and several large mosaic floors and other Roman remains have been found there.[2]

In October 1968, during road-widening works on the A1077, workers found a massive stone coffin containing a skeleton later identified as being that of a young woman aged between 20 and 25 years of age, who stood 5'3" (1.6 m) tall. She was of high status, as evidenced by the high quality of the coffin made from a single block of limestone and she was also found to be laid on a sheet of lead. Down the hill from this spot are the remains of one of the Winterton Roman villas, which is famous for its mosaic pavements where it is most likely she lived.[2]

Both Winterton and neighbouring Winteringham seem to contain mention of Winter or Wintra, the first of the kings of Lindsey with any pretence to an historical basis (after the mythological Woden). The position of the two settlements on the south bank of the Humber, close to the point where the main Roman road from the south reaches the river, may be significant, as it is the obvious point from where the settlement of Lindsey is likely to have originated

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winterton,_Lincolnshire

3 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Down the hill from this spot are the remains of one of the Winterton Roman villas, which is famous for its mosaic pavements where it is most likely she lived.

Just further down from there (Barton) is The Old Tile Works which is a fairly new build but done in a very Romanesque theme. I'll be seeing it up close and in much more detail later this week when I'm there for my 'Speed Awareness Course'.

3 hours ago, Stiff said:

Just further down from there (Barton) is The Old Tile Works which is a fairly new build but done in a very Romanesque theme. I'll be seeing it up close and in much more detail later this week when I'm there for my 'Speed Awareness Course'.

I've just looked at some pictures. It does look like a Roman villa, and within the shadow of the mighty Humber Bridge.

• Like 1