Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Two-headed viper found in Virginia

The Caspian Hare

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/09/21/virginia-wildlife-officials-share-extremely-rare-photos-two-headed-copperhead-snake.html

Officials with the Virginia Wildlife Management and Control took to Facebook to share “extremely rare photos” of a two-headed copperhead snake.

The snake was spotted last week in a Woodbridge, Va. resident’s backyard, according to the department. In addition to the photos, wildlife management officials shared a video of the two-headed serpent twisting and wriggling inside a container.

“Check out these extremely rare photos of an actual 2-headed copperhead that was found in someone’s yard in Woodbridge...Cool, huh?” the department captioned the post, which had more than 1,000 shares and 600 reactions as of Friday afternoon.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The poor baby. This bit from the article was quite distressing: Snakes operate a good deal by smell, and if one head catches the scent of prey on the other's head, it will attack and try to swallow the second head,” National Geographic reported.

• Sad 2

A two-faced viper? It'll be going into a career in politics, then. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The poor baby. This bit from the article was quite distressing: Snakes operate a good deal by smell, and if one head catches the scent of prey on the other's head, it will attack and try to swallow the second head,” National Geographic reported.

Luckily, it looks like the heads join too far up for either to be able to twist enough to attempt to swallow the other.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seti42 said:

I'm surprised someone didn't scream

I meant to say I'm surprised someone didn't scream "SATAN BEGONE!" and stomp on it. Why does this forum delete everything after quotation marks when you first post them?

i do not know why they said that is a adult copperhead because it is a young one. adults have black tail tips and young copperheads have a bright greenish yellow tail tip. i kept copperheads and rattle snakes for forty years and sold them to biological supply dealers among others, i had one large female northern copperhead that gave birth to 17 babies that had abnormal patterns where the saddles did not touch and it looked like they had a stripe down their backs.