Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australia kills sharks after tourist attacks

Still Waters

Two sharks have been killed after a woman and a girl were attacked within 24 hours of each other at the same tourist spot in the Great Barrier Reef.

Both victims were mauled while swimming among the Whitsunday Islands off the Queensland coast of Australia earlier this week, and they each remain in a critical but stable condition in hospital.

The girl, 12, from Melbourne, was bitten on the leg, as was the woman, who has been named as Justine Barwick, 46, from Tasmania.

https://news.sky.com/story/sharks-killed-after-attacks-on-woman-and-girl-in-the-great-barrier-reef-11506169

Related:

https://news.sky.com/story/girl-12-is-second-shark-attack-victim-in-24-hours-in-australias-whitsunday-islands-11503130

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Did you get a good look at the shark ?

Yes ... that's the one !

~

• Like 3

Four Tiger Sharks now caught and killed. I expect this will blow up into a big news story, it is not as if this is a swimming beach patrolled by lifesavers, it was people jumping off boats in deep water well away from shore. This will go ballistic, in my opinion, it is a pointless exercise.

• Like 2

It is a political knee-jerk reaction to send a message that the govt is doing something to make a tourist spot "safe". I reckon people who have been swimming in that place, would be shocked by the capture of that many dangerous sharks there, in a couple of days. If you swim in those places, you take a risk, at least a few people might wake up to that, after this.

• Like 2

They probably thought they were relatively safe.

Shark attacks are very rare in the Whitsundays -- a collection of spectacular tropical islands at the heart of the Barrier Reef -- with the last encounter reported to be eight years ago, according to national broadcaster ABC.

https://www.news18.com/news/world/australia-kills-four-sharks-after-tourist-attacks-1886291.html

• Like 2

There may have been an aggregation of Tiger sharks in the area, due to a  seasonal breeding pattern or whatever, it does seem an unlikely event for two people to be attacked in quick succession. But I expect this will blow up tomorrow, if the hunt goes on.

I don't know how australia local agencies work, but if there is pressure from local businesses who profit from beach goers they might force the hand 

There is something of a difference between the states, in New South Wales, there has been quite a few attacks involving White Pointers, on surf beaches, but no "cull". In Queensland, where these latest incidents occurred, policy is more to err on the side of culling them. Similarly in Western Australia, the sharks are hunted intensively when an attack occurs. I can understand why beaches would be more a priority, to protect swimmers, but in open water, you really can't expect the state to clear sharks for your convenience. I am surprised more attacks don't occur, I have seen divers on offshore reefs where it was impossible to pull a fish through the sharks, into a boat, so thick were they. It seems they prefer eating fish !

• Thanks 1

More like territorial attacks than food hunting behavior here, when sharks chomp on something they wanna eat, they keep chomping till there is no more they can eat, then only they move on ...

~