Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

History Channel Show. Offensive???

danydandan

My last attempt at starting a thread about this show was closed. Perhaps it can across as discriminatory?

The History Channel is hosting a show called Why does everyone hate the English, in the ads for the show, it shows a man being chased by a number of other men. The lone runner is holding an English flag, while the chasers are holding, Irish, German, French, Scottish and Welsh flags.

Being Irish I can understand the premise of the show. However if a show called why everyone hates the Irish or Germans were being made I can certainly see people blowing their tops over it.

Now as a deflection from the obvious discriminatory topic of said show, there are comedians hosting it and Andy Murray (he isn't funny so can't be a comedian).

My initial thoughts were if I was English would I find it offensive or would I like to see what and why our history has effected other Countries?

So, if any Englishmen or Englishwomen are reading this do you find the premise of the show offensive.

My personal opinion its meant to be taken as lightly, hence the comedians, and it's a good opportunity to see what others may think of the English.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, seanjo said:

Only the English seem to come in for such accepted derision, how many times do we hear Anyone but England from our Scottish, Welsh and Irish neighbors

when supporting sports teams?

That's not true, considering everyone in Ireland who follows football supports an English team. Leeds United for me.

• Like 2

I've not watched it but by the premise you describe, I wouldn't find it offensive in any way. In much the same way that I wouldn't find it offensive if it were switched round to any other nationality. It sounds light hearted. There's waaaaay too much "I'm offended" going on in the world for my liking. My answer to it all would be  "Deal with it" and "Get over it

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Jealousy and inferiority complex.

Nothing to do with colonialism no?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, danydandan said:

My last attempt at starting a thread about this show was closed. Perhaps it can across as discriminatory?

The History Channel is hosting a show called Why does everyone hate the English, in the ads for the show, it shows a man being chased by a number of other men. The lone runner is holding an English flag, while the chasers are holding, Irish, German, French, Scottish and Welsh flags.

Being Irish I can understand the premise of the show. However if a show called why everyone hates the Irish or Germans were being made I can certainly see people blowing their tops over it.

Now as a deflection from the obvious discriminatory topic of said show, there are comedians hosting it and Andy Murray (he isn't funny so can't be a comedian).

My initial thoughts were if I was English would I find it offensive or would I like to see what and why our history has effected other Countries?

So, if any Englishmen or Englishwomen are reading this do you find the premise of the show offensive.

My personal opinion its meant to be taken as lightly, hence the comedians, and it's a good opportunity to see what others may think of the English.

We even have the anti-Englishness from our own media.

Whenever it's St Patrick's Day or St Andrew's Day or St David's Day we see in our newspapers articles telling us how great the Irish or Scots or Welsh are and everything that is great about their nations. But every St George's Day newspapers just "treat" us to articles telling us how all these supposed English inventions aren't actually English inventions and were actually invented by others.

• Like 3

Just now, danydandan said:

Nothing to do with colonialism no?

Well the Irish, Scots and Welsh played as much a part in that as the English did.

The French were pretty good at it, too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Stiff said:

I've not watched it but by the premise you describe, I wouldn't find it offensive in any way. In much the same way that I wouldn't find it offensive if it were switched round to any other nationality. It sounds light hearted. There's waaaaay too much "I'm offended" going on in the world for my liking. My answer to it all would be  "Deal with it" and "Get over it

I agree, PC culture is gone way too far.

I know loads of Englishmen a bit of banter is healthy and p*** taking is a cultural norm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Black Monk said:

Well the Irish, Scots and Welsh played as much a part in that as the English did.

The French were pretty good at it, too.

That's my point, if it was why everyone hates the French the show would be protected against.

• Like 1

It looks quite light hearted to me. It is due to start on Monday Oct 08th I will have a look when it starts. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, danydandan said:

That's my point, if it was why everyone hates the French the show would be protected against.

Yeah. And look at sports teams. Especially the England rugby union team. A player or coach of, say, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France, Australia and New Zealand often says something downright offensive about the England team or its coach, and the media, even the English media, gleefully reports it. But whenever an England player or Eddie Jones says something similar about opponents the press come out calling the comments "disgraceful" and he is forced to apologise.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, seanjo said:

Who would you support if England played Germany? I know my Welsh and Scottish friends will be supporting Germany.

Probably wouldn't watch it, if Ireland were playing. If it affects Ireland's position in tournaments or qualification then it would depend.

But otherwise I could really not care who won.

3 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Who would you support if England played Germany? I know my Welsh and Scottish friends will be supporting Germany.

I'd support England, but I'd know it'd be in vain 4 out of 5 times :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Yeah. And look at sports teams. Especially the England rugby union team. A player or coach of, say, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France, Australia and New Zealand often says something downright offensive about the England team or its coach, and the media, even the English media, gleefully reports it. But whenever an England player or Eddie Jones says something similar about opponents the press come out calling the comments "disgraceful" and he is forced to apologise.

I don't know anything about Rugby.  But upon Googling. If I said English were scummy and England was a little **** place  how would you take it?

It's not offensive, just incorrect. Should be titled 'Why Do Some People Dislike The English Some Of The Time For Some Of The Things They Have Done?'. :P

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I don't know anything about Rugby.  But upon Googling. If I said English were scummy and England was a little **** place  how would you take it?

I'd know you had no idea what you are talking about.

edit to say: it's called catastrophising

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Haha 3

Just now, ouija ouija said:

That chap isnt even English. Eddie Jones.

1 minute ago, ouija ouija said:

It is a little place though. Ireland is bigger and better.

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

That chap isnt even English. Eddie Jones.

Which chap?

• Like 1

Just now, danydandan said:

It is a little place though. Ireland is bigger and better.

Can't disagree with you there as I have Irish ancestors. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Which chap?

Eddie Jones. He is Australian.

1 minute ago, ouija ouija said:

Can't disagree with you there as I have Irish ancestors. 

Being a redhead, I'm betting I do too. 

• Like 1

**** taking between the countries of the British Isles is endemic, and part of how we all get along and relate to each other. And it's not just between countries, I don't care if you're Welsh, English, Irish or Scots, you know the the people in the next, village, town, county, are weird, and you delight in telling them that. It's not serious*.

*Gwent is obviously a serious concern. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Well I would fight back and say something about Ireland.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stiff said:

Being a redhead, I'm betting I do too. 

I don't think everyone with red hair is descended from the Irish! :lol: I don't have red hair.

• Like 1