Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

History Channel Show. Offensive???

danydandan

2 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Image result for english waters map

Minus all the Scottish and Welsh waters oh and Isle of Man too.

I rest my case.

Typical English bringing facts into a bit of banter.

Edited by danydandan

Just now, danydandan said:

Minus all the Scottish and Welsh waters oh and Isle of Man too.

English waters are clearly larger than Irish waters on that map.

2 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

English waters are clearly larger than Irish waters on that map.

See the red lines that come out from your boarders with Scotland and Wales? So all the Water around Scotland is Scottish water all the water Left of Wales until it hits Irish water is Welsh and all the waters around Isle of Man belongs to them.

Isn't much left after you take them away. Is there?

Edited by danydandan

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

Isn't much left after you take them away. Is there?

Yeah. You're left with English waters, and more than Ireland's got.

4 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Yeah. You're left with English waters, and more than Ireland's got.

No how so.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_waters

https://www.marine.ie/Home/site-area/irelands-marine-resource/real-map-ireland

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Map-of-the-UK-territorial-waters-and-continental-shelf_fig2_265153064

Take away all the waters from Scotland, Wales etcetera it seems we have more territorial water.

We have more coastlines thus more territorial water. I actually don't have clue. But stop making this discussion serious.

Edited by danydandan

3 minutes ago, danydandan said:

No how so.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_waters

We have more coastlines thus more territorial water. I actually don't have clue. But stop making this discussion serious.

England's coastline is 2,748 miles in length.

The Republic of Ireland's coastline is a mere 900 miles.

6 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

England's coastline is 2,748 miles in length.

The Republic of Ireland's coastline is a mere 900 miles.

Our coastline is actually 3200 km, England's is 8000km and interestingly enough Scotland's is like 12000.

Edited by danydandan

None of this is serious, so relax dude.

2 hours ago, danydandan said:

Nothing to do with colonialism no?

What people forget England was behind the curve when it come to colonialism, Spain, France, Portugal, Danes, Netherlands where all at it before England venturing out into the new world. At the time England didn't have a pot to pee in. But as the old saying goes, if it exists, improve it. If it doesn't exist then invent it. And that's what England done. Which eventually seen us defeat the world's super power in Spain, and the combined forces of both France and Spain. Eventually leaving the UK as the world's only superpower. Then superceded by another Anglosphere in the USA, for the best part of 3 three hundred years the Anglosphere as been shaping the world. What I find funny when the empire slowly came to an end, the UK left infrastructure and a system of governance in place. Unlike others, including the French whos policy was to demolish everything in their wake. 

Of course they don't like England we've stopped them shaping the world, from the great northern war (1700) to WW2 (1939) then we had to join a union to stop the continent plunging into chaos, and since then they've used that union to try and shape the world. 2016, could be the year recorded in history when the English yet again put pay to their empire building plans. But history proves that France provokes wars in Europe and elsewhere, then expects us to come to the rescue, and afterwards treats Britain with contempt

I cite the following facts:

1) Napoleonic ideology – still prevalent in the french psyche.

2) Treaty of Versailles – France insisted Germany be knackered.

3) French theft of German coal during the inter war years.

4) Half of France sided with axis powers during WWII e.g. vichy. Which shows how reliable they are in a scrap.

5) The french are still bitter over Mers El Kebir.

6) De Gaullle ran to England and announced “I shall fight the war from England” involving staying as a guest at Buckingham Palace. After which when his country was liberated at great loss of British and allied lives, he returns to France and gives the famous ‘Non’ to Britain’s request to join the EEC. As if that wasn’t insulting enough, the french made him a national hero. There’s gratitude for you.

7) In the post war years the french colonies wanted independence, as did ours. We gave ours the resources necessary for them to go it alone. On the other hand, De Gaulle begged french colonies to stay as such, but when that failed the foreign legion was sent in to destroy infrastructure, railways, power stations etc. Leaving them with nothing. 

8) Vietnam – formerly french Indo-China. The mess left by the french gave opportunity for communism with America paying a heavy price for it’s containment.

Never again I say.

Edited by stevewinn
Forgot the Danes.
  • Thanks 4

I might add, I think it's not English people the show is suggesting people's hate. It's the concept or construct of what they believe England or Englishness is.

Ireland and England have a chequred past, so it's understandable why an Irish person feels aversion to the Idea of Englishness and visa versa.

Just now, danydandan said:

I might add, I think it's not English people the show is suggesting people's hate. It's the concept or construct of what they believe England or Englishness is.

Ireland and England have a chequred past, so it's understandable why an Irish person feels aversion to the Idea of Englishness and visa versa.

Al Murray as done history programmes before like, road to Berlin. 

Or seeing how your having a laugh, how about his pub landlord routine. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Not having a laugh, just not serious. I think we all know how these topics can turn out if one can't take a joke or takes things too seriously.

But I really don't like his comedy routines. Give my Lee Evans or Peter Kay please.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Black Monk said:

Well the Irish, Scots and Welsh played as much a part in that as the English did.

The French were pretty good at it, too.

So the Irish, Scottish and Welsh all invaded England?

I know the ancient Celts did, but that well before Ireland and England were Countries.

1 hour ago, Stiff said:

Not ones with superpowers like me :D

Last thing anyone wants is a red haired Superman lol.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Black Monk said:

What kind of second-rate school taught you geography?

Some people still haven't grasped the metric system.

1 hour ago, Grey Area said:

Bit off the mark there and it’s km2 not miles and England is 130,279km2

:lol: Haha! I had England in miles and the Republic of Ireland in kilometres!

edit to say: I am too old to have embraced the metric system!

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Vanity Fair is on BBC again tonight, based on the novel written by Murray's great-great-great-grandfather William Makepeace Thackeray.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Vanity Fair is on BBC again tonight, based on the novel written by Murray's great-great-great-grandfather William Makepeace Thackeray.

Fact of the day. :tu:

35 minutes ago, danydandan said:

So the Irish, Scottish and Welsh all invaded England?

I know the ancient Celts did, but that well before Ireland and England were Countries.

Well the Scots and the Welsh have invaded England a fair few times, probably the two most notable of them being in 1513 when the Scots were twatted at Flodden and 1746 when they were twatted at Culloden.

And when it comes to the great British Empire, the Scots, Welsh and you Irish were just as willing participants as the English, of course. In the late 1800s and early 1900s one-third of the British Empire's governor-generals were Scots.

So let's not blame all this imperial stuff solely on the English.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Well the Scots and the Welsh have invaded England a fair few times, probably the two most notable of them being in 1513 when the Scots were twatted at Flodden and 1746 when they were twatted at Culloden.

And when it comes to the great British Empire, the Scots, Welsh and you Irish were just as willing participants as the English, of course. In the late 1800s and early 1900s one-third of the British Empire's governor-generals were Scots.

So let's not blame all this imperial stuff solely on the English.

I don't. Blame the Scott's too lol.

I often wonder what would have happened if the Monarchs stayed Catholic. The divide in Ireland was just as much about occupation as it was Religion.  Then of course the Penal Laws, promises of Home Rule being ignored etcetera.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

I don't. Blame the Scott's too lol.

I often wonder what would have happened if the Monarchs stayed Catholic. The divide in Ireland was just as much about occupation as it was Religion.  Then of course the Penal Laws, promises of Home Rule being ignored etcetera.

And you can't even blame the English for the invasion of Ireland. It was England's Norman rulers who invaded Ireland, just as they had invaded England the previous century.

• Like 1

@danydandan the thread is turning into a bit of a history lesson. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Yes, Cromwell treated Ireland so badly because Irish "mercenaries" assisted the Catholic centric Royalists in the English civil war.

Certainly one of the reasons, not the only one. One of the main reasons his campaign was so bad was because of the amount of British Royalist involved. The main hatered of Cromwell was the Penal Laws, but it not like it was his own doing, soley.

4 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

@danydandan the thread is turning into a bit of a history lesson. 

It has indeed, but the show is going to be about History so it's kinda on topic. All threads evolve.

I'm interested in the German perspective, or why they hate the English. I'm not well versed in English European history prior the Bismarck era.

Edited by danydandan