Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

History Channel Show. Offensive???

danydandan

49 minutes ago, danydandan said:

So the Irish, Scottish and Welsh all invaded England?

I know the ancient Celts did, but that well before Ireland and England were Countries.

Yep they did, and not forgetting the Irish had the worse slave ships on the high seas, Cork grew fat on the trade.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I'm interested in the German perspective, or why they hate the English.

Do they? i've never ever had anything but friendship from Germans.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hetrodoxly said:

Yep they did, and not forgetting the Irish had the worse slave ships on the high seas, Cork grew fat on the trade.

I know.

4 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Do they? i've never ever had anything but friendship from Germans.

I don't have clue, there is a German dude in the show. Was there any wars or whatever between Germany and England prior to 1800?

Edited by danydandan

28 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I don't have clue, there is a German dude in the show. Was there any wars or whatever between Germany and England prior to 1800?

Yes and no. first British wars with Germany, 1914-18 & 1939 -1945. Before that you'd have to look at prussia or holy roman empire, (which wasn't roman or even holy) 

Germany was always a ally of the UK. Even our own monarchy is from the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha,  German leader Wilhelm II was the grandson of Queen Victoria. So was the Tsar of Russia. Queen Victoria was known as the grandmother of Europe. Quick guide. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I bet the French had something to do with it ...

~

• Like 1

The reality of the mater is at one time in the not so distance past Ireland was proud to be part of the empire, Wales thought no different about sending their sons to die (and still don't) in far distant lands to the English and the Scots were often the instigators of these campaigns, solders and police putting a riot down in Dublin was no different from Irish soldiers and police putting a riot down in Birmingham ( Irish police came in force to put the Brummies down) Dublin had built a 'Nelsons column' the 1916 uprising lead by the English man Pearce was very unpopular and they had rotten fruit thrown at them when marched through the streets of the city, the turning point was the biggest mistake they could have made and that was executing them, the political map of Ireland changed at that point and history was back written and hundreds of songs penned, 'Hate the English' is perpetuated by some Irish the mantra of 'Everyone hates the English, But! loves Us' is ever present and if you say something loud enough and long enough it spreads, a bricklayer in Cork is no different to a bricklayer in Liverpool, swansea  or Edinburgh (the Edinburgh one could be a bit posh) and when we meet face to face we get along fine.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

The reality of the mater is at one time in the not so distance past Ireland was proud to be part of the empire, Wales thought no different about sending their sons to die (and still don't) in far distant lands to the English and the Scots were often the instigators of these campaigns, solders and police putting a riot down in Dublin was no different from Irish soldiers and police putting a riot down in Birmingham ( Irish police came in force to put the Brummies down) Dublin had built a 'Nelsons column' the 1916 uprising lead by the English man Pearce was very unpopular and they had rotten fruit thrown at them when marched through the streets of the city, the turning point was the biggest mistake they could have made and that was executing them, the political map of Ireland changed at that point and history was back written and hundreds of songs penned, 'Hate the English' is perpetuated by some Irish the mantra of 'Everyone hates the English, But! loves Us' is ever present and if you say something loud enough and long enough it spreads, a bricklayer in Cork is no different to a bricklayer in Liverpool, swansea  or Edinburgh (the Edinburgh one could be a bit posh) and when we meet face to face we get along fine.

I would not say proud, but contented to be in it. 

But the rest we can agree upon. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, danydandan said:

That's not true, considering everyone in Ireland who follows football supports an English team. Leeds United for me.

This is a limited sample size. :lol:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

? Later

20 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

??

20 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

??

19 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

???

??

??

18 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

??

Was this a deliberate act? If not, it’s pretty amazing. 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Timothy said:

This is a limited sample size. :lol:

I did say everyone. Lol.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Having spent 7 of my 22 years RAF service in Germany, I don't think the Germans do hate the English, I had two German girlfriends and the bad rep we got over there was because of Squadies getting p***ed. When I was mingling with the Germans they loved it. I was asked back then why do you British drink so quickly, I had to explain that we are racing against the clock. Pubs shut at 22:30 back then in the UK.

Also the beer tastes so bad some places the only way to drink it is quickly.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, seanjo said:

I like a good pint of Scotch, but if I'm going to drink Lager it has to be German.

Scotch whiskey???? A pint..... You bloody mad man. Nothing beats Guinness, with the two step pull. That Guinness also has to be in Ireland because outside of Ireland Guinness is horrendous.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, seanjo said:

LOL...Scotch beer, Bitter...I'm not a big fan of stout.

Ohhhhh got ye now.

You mean ale, well specifically pale ale. Thats what we call it here. Smithwicks is the ale of choice here.

1 hour ago, danydandan said:

Also the beer tastes so bad some places the only way to drink it is quickly.

That was in the 1970s.    Since there there's been a real ale and real cider revival.   Some pubs don't sell any fizzy "beer" at all these days :D  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Essan said:

That was in the 1970s.    Since there there's been a real ale and real cider revival.   Some pubs don't sell any fizzy "beer" at all these days :D  

I'm a ninties kid. So I'd know nothing about it. Lol.

2 hours ago, Timothy said:

Was this a deliberate act? If not, it’s pretty amazing. 

No. :)

I was experimenting with my keyboard 'CTRL' button trying to chop up a previous post to address its individual parts in detail. I failed to snip it into pieces, but then realised that I add inadvertently posted a string of empty posts to the forum. These I tried delete but don't know how to, so I edited them all blank instead. 

I will address the original post when I learn how to chop it up into pieces. Do you know how to do this by any chance?    

• Thanks 1

Anyway, why does everyone hate the English?  Because they are the only nation or group of peoples on Earth that it's still permitted to dislike in any shape or form without you being accused of discrimination (or worse).  And in any case, they are responsible for almost every bad thing that has happened, from the Flood, black death, war, religion, non-fizzy cider* and the Internet to Simon Cowell and the death of Princess Diana.

And because the English, unlike some peoples, take the p*ss out of themselves, expect others to do likewise, and would only be offended if people stopped doing it ;) 

* that's alcoholic apple juice, in case you are American.  And, incidentally, proof positive that God was an Englishman :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I was experimenting with my keyboard 'CTRL' button trying to chop up a previous post to address its individual parts in detail. I failed to snip it into pieces, but then realised that I add inadvertently posted a string of empty posts to the forum. These I tried delete but don't know how to, so I edited them all blank instead. 

I will address the original post when I learn how to chop it up into pieces. Do you know how to do this by any chance?    

Highlight the bit you want to respond to and it will come up quote, select it add your reply and then do the same with the next part you want to reply to

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

Do it like your doing a copy and paste. But stall on the paste. A little function saying qoute should pop up. Just click on that. 

I used quote the same post a number of times and delete what I wasn't directly addressing. Pain in the ring.

8 minutes ago, Essan said:

Anyway, why does everyone hate the English?  Because they are the only nation or group of peoples on Earth that it's still permitted to dislike in any shape or form without you being accused of discrimination (or worse).  And in any case, they are responsible for almost every bad thing that has happened, from the Flood, black death, war, religion, non-fizzy cider* and the Internet to Simon Cowell and the death of Princess Diana.

And because the English, unlike some peoples, take the p*ss out of themselves, expect others to do likewise, and would only be offended if people stopped doing it ;) 

* that's alcoholic apple juice, in case you are American.  And, incidentally, proof positive that God was an Englishman :D

Everyone in Ireland hates people from Dublin. I also think you can dislike Republicans in the US without recourse. 

Plus I'm sure Bulmers Cider, which is Irish, was the very first cider ever. Plus we now have Proper Twelve whiskey too. We are sorry about that though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, danydandan said:

Ohhhhh got ye now.

You mean ale, well specifically pale ale. Thats what we call it here. Smithwicks is the ale of choice here.

Smithwicks that brings back memories, when i lived in Ireland (before the invention of the 'Irish pub and things 'Celtic') all the beer you could get was 'Harp' the worse drink known to man, Smithwicks (for the English who are old enough) it tastes like a pint of mixed 1/2 mild 1/2 bitter (many would start with a pint of Smithwicks before they went onto the Guinness.

3 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Smithwicks that brings back memories, when i lived in Ireland (before the invention of the 'Irish pub and things 'Celtic') all the beer you could get was 'Harp' the worse drink known to man, Smithwicks (for the English who are old enough) it tastes like a pint of mixed 1/2 mild 1/2 bitter (many would start with a pint of Smithwicks before they went onto the Guinness.

I worked in my uncle's pub from when I was 14 until I was 21. I can attest how bad Harp was. The main catalyst to any drunken brawl was Harp. 

But, this happens in every pub, a few regulars would come in and ask for a pint and a Smithwicks. (A pint is Guinness). As you know Guinness has a two stage pour, some people were so desperate for a drink while the Guinness settled they'd lash a pint of Smithwicks into them while they waited. These were the definition of alcoholics.