Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

History Channel Show. Offensive???

danydandan

5 minutes ago, Essan said:

Bulmers is a Herefordshire firm :P 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulmers

Blasphemy. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magners

Them Bulmers lads only bought shares in 1930 something.

Young whippersnappers - cider in this part of England has been produced for hundreds if not thousands of years :P 

Edit: and this explains the real reason why the Irish hate the English: we had scrumpy and all you had was manky potatoes ..... :D

Edited by Essan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Essan said:

Young whippersnappers - cider in this part of England has been produced for hundreds if not thousands of years :P 

Edit: and this explains the real reason why the Irish hate the English: we had scrumpy and all you had was manky potatoes ..... :D

Have you ever tried Poitín? Take about 10 pints of cider to get drunk, with Poitín all it takes is a wee glass and your p***ed for a week. We were poor, all you English landlords kept all the good food. So we had to use potatoes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

Have you ever tried Poitín? Take about 10 pints of cider to get drunk, with Poitín all it takes is a wee glass and your p***ed for a week. We were poor, all you English landlords kept all the good food. So we had to use potatoes.

Not the "real" stuff - just some mass bottled 40% poitin that came out in the UK back in the 1990s (not seen it since, so I guess it didn't catch on) - can't recall who produced it.  It was okay :) 

On the subject of cider though, I hear you did have some decent stuff :D

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Essan said:

Not the "real" stuff - just some mass bottled 40% poitin that came out in the UK back in the 1990s (not seen it since, so I guess it didn't catch on) - can't recall who produced it.  It was okay :) 

On the subject of cider though, I hear you did have some decent stuff :D

Classical music lol.

There is a reason why we drank red biddy.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I worked in my uncle's pub from when I was 14 until I was 21. I can attest how bad Harp was. The main catalyst to any drunken brawl was Harp. 

But, this happens in every pub, a few regulars would come in and ask for a pint and a Smithwicks. (A pint is Guinness). As you know Guinness has a two stage pour, some people were so desperate for a drink while the Guinness settled they'd lash a pint of Smithwicks into them while they waited. These were the definition of alcoholics. 

The barman would call over when you had 1/2 pint of Guinness left and ask if you wanted another and bring them over to the table when they were poured also i've had barmen ask if you want a fast or slow pint.

Actually, I suppose, we English should be reacting by saying lets put the kettle on and have a nice cup of tea :D 

• Like 1

I take offense, it's more Irish than English.

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I take offense, it's more Irish than English.

Down with this sort of thing. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Down with this sort of thing. 

Careful now.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Careful now.

Brilliant. 

• Haha 1

An Englishman, a Scotsman, a Welshman, an Irishman........and an Ulsterman.  They always forget us folk in Northern Ireland.  As my mother would often say - "We don't exist."  Still part of the UK over here.  :st

Keeping the union together. (1912)

Ulster.jpg

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

An Englishman, a Scotsman, a Welshman, an Irishman........and an Ulsterman.  They always forget us folk in Northern Ireland.  As my mother would often say - "We don't exist."  Still part of the UK over here.  :st

Keeping the union together. (1912)

Ulster.jpg

Sinn Fein would have us believe a unified Ireland is around the corner and Brexit the catalyst to such things.

• Like 1

On 23/09/2018 at 5:00 PM, danydandan said:

My last attempt at starting a thread about this show was closed. Perhaps it can across as discriminatory?

The History Channel is hosting a show called Why does everyone hate the English, in the ads for the show, it shows a man being chased by a number of other men. The lone runner is holding an English flag, while the chasers are holding, Irish, German, French, Scottish and Welsh flags.

Being Irish I can understand the premise of the show. However if a show called why everyone hates the Irish or Germans were being made I can certainly see people blowing their tops over it.

Now as a deflection from the obvious discriminatory topic of said show, there are comedians hosting it and Andy Murray (he isn't funny so can't be a comedian).

My initial thoughts were if I was English would I find it offensive or would I like to see what and why our history has effected other Countries?

So, if any Englishmen or Englishwomen are reading this do you find the premise of the show offensive.

My personal opinion its meant to be taken as lightly, hence the comedians, and it's a good opportunity to see what others may think of the English.

A bit premature considering the show has not aired!

Moreover, it is a British media production fronted by an English comedian. I doubt very much that the 'The Pub Landlord' is intent on offending the English. :)

If I get a chance I'll take a look at it.

That's funny, just got back from Greece, & there they hate the Germans.

17 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

That's funny, just got back from Greece, & there they hate the Germans.

Why?

32 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Why?

Something to do with a world war or something?

7 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Something to do with a world war or something?

No I mean why were you in Greece?

Only messing.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, danydandan said:

No I mean why were you in Greece?

Only messing.

Perhaps hate was to strong a word........'mild disdain'  probably covers it.

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2018 at 10:58 AM, hetrodoxly said:

The reality of the mater is at one time in the not so distance past Ireland was proud to be part of the empire,

In general, she had no choice. And those who might be claimed to have been proud were a small minority who benefited from the enterprise of empire. 

Wales thought no different about sending their sons to die (and still don't) in far distant lands to the English and the Scots were often the instigators of these campaigns, solders and police putting a riot down in Dublin was no different from Irish soldiers and police putting a riot down in Birmingham ( Irish police came in force to put the Brummies down) Dublin had built a 'Nelsons column'

Again, your generalisation from the particular is fundamentally flawed. Only a very small minority with a vested interest erected Nelson's Column in Sackville (now O'Connell) Street. The same minority were denying the overwhelming majority of the Irish people their religious, civil and human rights.

... the 1916 uprising lead by the English man Pearce ...

Not true, I'm afraid. Pádraig Pearce was an Irishman, born in Ireland and reared by a very disaffected Englishman and an Irish-speaking mother.

was very unpopular and they had rotten fruit thrown at them when marched through the streets of the city, the turning point was the biggest mistake they could have made and that was executing them, the political map of Ireland changed at that point

Unpopular with some, especially those Dublin women who were living off their husband's British Army pay. I agree the executions turned the silent majority into opposers of the imperial regime and supporters of Irish independence. They came out in force for the 1918 General Election and gave Sinn Féin a landslide victory, sweeping away most of the old Unionist/Loyalist representation. 

and history was back written and hundreds of songs penned,

History is what history is, or was. You may try to spin it - as indeed, you have tried here - or selectively interpret them but the facts of history taken in their totality cannot be gainsaid and will always speak for themselves. Songs against English/British/Monarchic rule in Ireland have been composed and sung for centuries. All the 1916 Rising and the War of Independence did was to give more inspiration to new rebel songs. 

'Hate the English' is perpetuated by some Irish the mantra of 'Everyone hates the English, But! loves Us' is ever present and if you say something loud enough and long enough it spreads, a bricklayer in Cork is no different to a bricklayer in Liverpool, swansea  or Edinburgh (the Edinburgh one could be a bit posh) and when we meet face to face we get along fine.

I agree that people and bricklayers should everywhere be equal but not so in the experience of Irish people within the British Empire. The majority of native Irish, in general, were discriminated against by a certain class and type of 'British' subject who was able to exercise a privileged power over others.  I also agree that the Irish and English/British get along fine when we meet but forums and topics like this - see 'Opening Gambits of the Brexit Negotiations', for example -  always expose the hidden prejudice of some who are not shy about using the anonymity thus afforded them to indulge their  baser xenophobic instincts.

I look forward to Al Murray's series on the History Channel. I hope I will have time to catch them all. I'm sure it will be funny but I hope it will be historically accurate and fair, and will have integrity.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

In general, she had no choice. And those who might be claimed to have been proud were a small minority who benefited from the enterprise of empire. 

Again, your generalisation from the particular is fundamentally flawed. Only a very small minority with a vested interest erected Nelson's Column in Sackville (now O'Connell) Street. The same minority were denying the overwhelming majority of the Irish people their religious, civil and human rights.

Not true, I'm afraid. Pádraig Pearce was an Irishman, born in Ireland and reared by a very disaffected Englishman and an Irish-speaking mother.

Unpopular with some, especially those Dublin women who were living off their husband's British Army pay. I agree the executions turned the silent majority into opposers of the imperial regime and supporters of Irish independence. They came out in force for the 1918 General Election and gave Sinn Féin a landslide victory, sweeping away most of the old Unionist/Loyalist representation. 

History is what history is, or was. You may try to spin it - as indeed, you have tried here - or selectively interpret them but the facts of history taken in their totality cannot be gainsaid and will always speak for themselves. Songs against English/British/Monarchic rule in Ireland have been composed and sung for centuries. All the 1916 Rising and the War of Independence did was to give more inspiration to new rebel songs. 

I agree that people and bricklayers should everywhere be equal but not so in the experience of Irish people within the British Empire. The majority of native Irish, in general, were discriminated against by a certain class and type of 'British' subject who was able to exercise a privileged power over others.  I also agree that the Irish and English/British get along fine when we meet but forums and topics like this - see 'Opening Gambits of the Brexit Negotiations', for example -  always expose the hidden prejudice of some who are not shy about using the anonymity thus afforded them to indulge their  baser xenophobic instincts.

I look forward to Al Murray's series on the History Channel. I hope I will have time to catch them all. I'm sure it will be funny but I hope it will be historically accurate and fair, and will have integrity.

Should have a double like button for this post. I was going respond as you did, especially about Pearse, but didn't want to turn the thread into an historical interpretation discussion.