Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

History Channel Show. Offensive???

danydandan

10 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Care to elaborate? They certainly turned into terrorists. Like I asked where does one draw the line? Can you answer that?

Terrorists when they're on your side, are often called "patriots", "rebels", "the resistance", " the maquis". It's all a matter of perspective.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Well the IRA were terrorists. Just let's leave it as simple as that.

They are terrorists now. Actually more like a criminal gang I think.

But as I said where does one draw the line. The IRA wasn't always a terrorist group, they certainly turned into one and are now a criminal cartel.

Like I asked to you consider the Indian, American, Nigerian etcetera revolutionaries terrorists too?

3 minutes ago, danydandan said:

They are terrorists now. Actually more like a criminal gang I think.

But as I said where does one draw the line. The IRA wasn't always a terrorist group, they certainly turned into one and are now a criminal cartel.

Like I asked to you consider the Indian, American, Nigerian etcetera revolutionaries terrorists too?

Those Americans (who have to be grateful to the British Empire because without it their country wouldn't even exist) and Indians (who also have many reasons to be grateful to the fantastic British Empire) who committed murder and bloodshed to achieve their nefarious aims were indeed terrorists.

5 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Ireland's biggest regret is taking the Euro. The government would have made a fortune in exchanges, with all the American companies here.

I'd agree, though we must say the EU as been good for Ireland in much the same way for the UK, but in 1993 masstricht changed all that. Ireland's fatal error is the euro. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

I'd agree, though we must say the EU as been good for Ireland in much the same way for the UK, but in 1993 masstricht changed all that. Ireland's fatal error is the euro. 

Considering the primary goal of every government is to ensure the sovereignty of a Countries currency. We certainly failes at that one.

The EU has killed alot of sea side towns with the Common Fisheries Policy. We have access to the Atlantic, it's cost a lot towns to be transformed into ghost towns with high unemployment. We could and probably should be one of the leading fishing Countries in the world.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Those Americans (who have to be grateful to the British Empire because without it their country wouldn't even exist) and Indians (who also have many reasons to be grateful to the fantastic British Empire) who committed murder and bloodshed to achieve their nefarious aims were indeed terrorists.

Nerfarious?? So Independence from an occupying force is nerfarious?

Do you consider occupying a country with arms nerfarious? I assume not.

If that's the case is the killing of innocent men, women and children terrorism? I believe it is and I know that the English army are quilty of acts of terrorism.

9 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Nerfarious?? So Independence from an occupying force is nerfarious?

In some cases - like India and America and Ireland - it is. These are all nations which benefited hugely under British rule and which, in most cases, have gone downhill ever since independence.

As for the British "occupying" America, of course they did no such thing. The British didn't invade America - they created it. There would be no USA today were it not for the glorious British Empire. For that reason alone, all Americans should be grateful to the British Empire.

Other cases of independence are good things - Brexit probably being the most famous example.

Do you consider occupying a country with arms nerfarious? 

No, of course not.

If that's the case is the killing of innocent men, women and children terrorism? I believe it is and I know that the English army are quilty of acts of terrorism.

The British (let's get the name right) Army has never been a terrorist organisation, either in Ireland or all the other places around the Empire where it had to deal with the local savages.

Edited by Black Monk

3 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

In some cases - like India and America and Ireland - it is. These are all nations which benefited hugely under British rule and which, in most cases, have gone downhill ever since independence.

As for the British "occupying" America, of course they did no such thing. The British didn't invade America - they created it. There would be no USA today were it not for the glorious British Empire. For that reason alone, all Americans should be grateful to the British Empire.

Other cases of independence are good things - Brexit probably being the most famous example.

No, of course not.

The British (let's get the name right) Army has never been a terrorist organisation, either in Ireland or all the other places around the Empire where it had to deal with the local savages.

Yeah you should get off your high horse mate.

Just now, danydandan said:

Yeah you should get off your high horse mate.

No, I'm happy up here, just telling it as it is.

• Like 1

Here in Northern Ireland we owe many thanks to the Germans.  Back in 1914 there was a major gun smuggling operation between here and Germany.  25,000 rifles and 5 million rounds of ammunition were purchased by the Unionists against the growing fears of an Irish uprising.  Churchill was a liberal back then and refused to help defend the Unionist territories in the north and during one visit was lucky to escape with his life.  A speech was directed at him "We will never surrender."  Often wonder if he took that speech of defiance that was against him, and used it later in WW2 against Germany.  The irony of speeches.  lol.  There are plans to commemorate the event, but already the Green Party has protested.

On the news yesterday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45678006

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 1

Of course, the debate will always be are we better in the Euro or out. If Ireland ever tries to go with a currency of its own it will be targeted by international financial speculators just as happened in the 1990s when, under pressure from speculator attack, the Irish pound was devalued 10%, the Irish Central Bank raised the overnight percentage rate to 100% and mortgage rates were increased to 16%. Financial speculators always attack small countries whose Central Banks have limited reserves with which to defend their currency compared to larger countries. They'd be rubbing their hands with glee if we struck out on our own. Don't be daft!  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, danydandan said:

No it's right. Whether he existed or not is up for debate like most individuals who were supposed to have lived back then. But DNA testing, in particular persons from Donegal, seems to support and suject the Gallagher's and other Donegal surnames might have common ancestry.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/the-genetic-imprint-of-niall-of-the-nine-hostages-1.1771373?mode=amp

But thats an Irish paper, detailing Irish Scientific research from an Irish college so your probably going to dismiss it.

He might not exist but we've got his DNA, that's the most Irish thing i've ever heard or maybe not :) my father in law was from killybegs.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

He might not exist but we've got his DNA, that's the most Irish thing i've ever heard or maybe not :) my father in law was from killybegs.

Equivalent to everything is possible.

I wonder what impact, if any, Brexit will have on the joined World Cup Bid.

Edited by danydandan

1 hour ago, danydandan said:

I can't see why it should effect it in anyway, i remember at one time they were talking about a British Lions and Ireland football team i think it was at a time when England couldn't win anything, hang on it still might be a good idea, i used to like the home nations tournament it a shame they stopped it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

I can't see why it should effect it in anyway, i remember at one time they were talking about a British Lions and Ireland football team i think it was at a time when England couldn't win anything, hang on it still might be a good idea, i used to like the home nations tournament it a shame they stopped it.

FIFA might see it as a travel issue. I don't know.

As far as us common muck savages, I think we were referred to that earlier (not by you), playing with the England team. Nah we would not want to degrade the quality if the English team by incorporation. Imagine the up-roar if James McClean either ripped off the poppy from the jersey or covered it while he played left wing.

Come to thing of it that would be a fecking horrendous looking jersey. Green, White, Gold, Red, Blue and more White.

But anyways, half the English team aren't English, half the Irish team aren't Irish so what does it matter they all just want to get paid. With a few exceptions of course.

38 minutes ago, danydandan said:

FIFA might see it as a travel issue. I don't know.

You've completely lost me on that one, why would FIFA care about travel.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

You've completely lost me on that one, why would FIFA care about travel.

The movement of persons between each Island. Because the travel of persons may not be the same as they are now. Britian may set restrictions or so might the EU do the same. It may mean that some fans will not be allowed to enter either the EU, UK or both thus the travel may be a big issue. Potentially.

Also I can't see Ireland hosting a large amount of match's. Unless the GAA step in, but thsts highly unlikely.

13 hours ago, danydandan said:

It will have a terrible effect, of course. As we all know, only EU member states can host the World Cup. Nobody else is capable of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

World Cup 2002 was held both in S. Korea & Japan. Neither are eu members or in political union. Travel occurred without incident. 

But the world outside the EU operates without incident. 

2 hours ago, stevewinn said:

World Cup 2002 was held both in S. Korea & Japan. Neither are eu members or in political union. Travel occurred without incident. 

I just read that the FA are selling Wembley?? WTF?

Just now, danydandan said:

I just read that the FA are selling Wembley?? WTF?

That was mooted last year is it happening now? 

42 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

That was mooted last year is it happening now? 

Some billionaire is buying it. After inflation making a whopping 300-400 million loss.

www.breakingnews.ie/sport/soccer/fa-plan-to-sell-wembley-clears-big-hurdle-as-board-gives-idea-backing-872038.html.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-5657091/FA-primed-SELL-Wembley-Stadium-astonishing-800m-deal.html.

9 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Oh well the FA is a private company. It seems the growing popularity of American football is the reason behind its purchase. 

All England's home games should be played around the country anyway. And just rent Wembley for finals. 

3 hours ago, stevewinn said:

This year's World Cup was held in Russia, and the one before that in Brazil.

It's been held in Mexico - twice - and the next World Cup is in Qatar.

The one after that - 2026 - is to be in Canada, USA and Mexico.

Other non-EU countries to have hosted it are Argentina (1978) Uruguay (1930) and England (1966).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

This year's World Cup was held in Russia, and the one before that in Brazil.

It's been held in Mexico - twice - and the next World Cup is in Qatar.

The one after that - 2026 - is to be in Canada, USA and Mexico.

Other non-EU countries to have hosted it are Argentina (1978) Uruguay (1930) and England (1966).

It was in Italy, Switzerland and Sweden(I think) prior to The Treaty of Rome. And I'm nearly sure Spain weren't members of the EU when they hosted. Or was it they joined in 86 too?

Slightly more on topic, didn't France veto England's two applications to join the EU in the 60's?  They don't like the English.

The EU slowly but surely creating a communist community of European countries.

Edited by danydandan