Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Building worlds 1st scalable Quantum computer

zep73

A cooperation between Microsoft, The University of Copenhagen and Technical University of Denmark are currently working on creating the worlds first scalable Quantum computer in Lyngby, Denmark. If successful, it will become the most powerful computer ever made, and be able to complete tasks in minutes, that would take a normal super computer a billion years to complete.

http://www.nbi.ku.dk/english/namely_names/2018/microsoft-and-university-of-copenhagen-are-building-the-worlds-first-scalable-quantum-computer-in-lyngby/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very very difficult task. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Very very difficult task. 

In the words of JFK

...not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

In the words of JFK

Remember I told you about them companies that have claimed to already have made a quantum computer, but won't let any independent tester verify them? 

I wish I was involved in this research.

20 hours ago, danydandan said:

I wish I was involved in this research.

I wish you were too.  That would be a marvelous experience.   Maybe you can lead the Gaelic team.  Quantum 2 would still be pretty cool.

32 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

I wish you were too.  That would be a marvelous experience.   Maybe you can lead the Gaelic team.  Quantum 2 would still be pretty cool.

Do you have room for an Aussie? I’ll behave, I promise.

6 minutes ago, Timothy said:

Do you have room for an Aussie? I’ll behave, I promise.

Dandydandan, you should consider Timothy's request.  Bringing the antipodes together must be auspicious for quantum computing.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Dandydandan, you should consider Timothy's request.  Bringing the antipodes together must be auspicious for quantum computing.  

We'd all end up drunk as feck and get no work done.

I'll stick to my silicon photonics research. Which probably has quantum computing applications.

@Timothy.

There are loads of obstacles to a viable quantum computer, not just building one but storage, coding and processing.

Edited by danydandan
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, danydandan said:

There are loads of obstacles to a viable quantum computer, not just building one but storage, coding and processing.

We are used to computational output as text/numbers or two dimensional images. I imagine a QC would need to use atleast animated holograms as output.
Animated holograms contain more data than billions of papers. We just need a way to store it. But untill then, we can view and record it with cameras... I guess.

20 hours ago, danydandan said:

We'd all end up drunk as feck and get no work done.

Is that not part of the Irish character; glorious wars and melancholy drunks?  Still, I would buy in even if we didn't get that quantum computer built.

No such thing as glorious wars.