Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Exposure Clarification

Regent107

I was finishing an Investigation in Lancaster, Ca.in an abandon house off of Avenue J. Live video did not display anything nominal or discernable. Using my Nikon D-90 I like to take just normal exposure type photos throughout the house to to ID the rooms we searched. Normal exposure being that I have the camera on Auto-exposure and a ISO around 400 to 1600 depending on the light. While in the bathroom (in review I did not see anything when I took this photo) I notice either an anomaly or an entity that anyone who has seen Paranormal Witness (Season 1, Episode 3) will recognize what I believe this "thing" is! I do not want to give any credit to "It" by name, which is the main reason I stopped investigations. Because all I found were Dark, non-living, non-human entities everywhere I went. Right after this investigation (I had a female-Maltese dog with me and a partner to help) we were driving back home and the right rear tire blew out on the car I was driving. I wouldn't think anything about it except I had that exact ONE tire replaced brand new that day! That was it for me I thought. Then additionally in review I caught a EVP Growl as we were finishing....

So any feedback or similar experiences would be appreciated. Thoughts or some validation of a similar event or what you believe this is would also be welcomed

The second photo is not my doing. I sent this photo to a fellow-investigator who dialed in some contrast to see the outline better. The backing part is a shower curtain. There had been some violence and animal deaths at this abandon house. No human deaths could be verified or documented. Later after the car blow out, I hung this up and have had no further personal (never have at home) experiences. I always come with a Bible, Rosary, Holy Water, and Kosher Salt never leaving a house with my back turned to it. . Thanks SCN

ByaZRFmCEAAfDYE.jpg

Bb6cWlMCUAAvLOK.jpg

Apart from this being a motion-blurred exposure (stripped of exif so we can't verify that...) the OP doesn't even mention pareidolia?

If you accidentally or deliberately create a mess of lines and shapes (you certainly ticked that box..), I will guarantee that there will be several shapes that a properly working mind can see - that's what minds do.  Those shapes will differ from person to person.  I'd tell you what shapes I see.. except that will just lead some others to say "OmiGod me too!", or "Nah, I see xyz".

Sorry OP, but it's a rather pointless exercise.  Your movement of the camera added to a messy background is what created the shapes.  That's not research/investigation.

And when posting images that you want analysed, please do not:

• put frames around them
  • crop them
  • add *any* effects to 'clarify' (or if you do, then declare every effect and post the untouched original as well)
  • strip them of exif data

If you are serious about pushing this as something of interest, go back to where you took it, and then take a few shots of the same area from slightly different angles, under the same lighting conditions and with the same camera settings, and post those...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Sorry...this is all very confusing, 

45 minutes ago, Regent107 said:

While in the bathroom (in review I did not see anything when I took this photo)

So you saw nothing but took a close up picture of the shower curtain, is that what you are saying?  Why would you posibly want to take a close up out of focus picture of a shower curtain, especially if you did not see anything?

45 minutes ago, Regent107 said:

right rear tire blew out on the car I was driving. I wouldn't think anything about it except I had that exact ONE tire replaced brand new that day!

If you had the wrong pressure it would blow out....or there was a defect in the tyre. These things can happen.

55 minutes ago, Regent107 said:

I always come with a Bible, Rosary, Holy Water, and Kosher Salt never leaving a house with my back turned to it. .

Come to where..the abandoned house? Why would you take those things with you? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I did not "edit" or add contrasting black I guess to the second photo. The 1st photo is NOT cropped, framed, or any of the other conditions you mentioned sir. It is an IN-Focus photo of a Shower Curtain which is in a bathroom with an automatic exposure setting of iso 800 (auto). F 2.3,  shutter speed 1/200.THAT was IN focus. I do not ADD anything to the first photo. I show and informed readers that the second photo was re-posted to me. I submit it only as an example of difference making no acertions ON EITHER PHOTO. If my submission fails to meet your (which I already was aware of) benchmark of a quality photo. Well then I stand corrected and the others I have observed on countless pages exhibit varying degrees of what you describe above and In fact they show worse effects be used and extreme out of focus objects. Once again, I make no assertions on either photo. I only wanted an honest assessment. As I stated before, these were taken after a walk thru in a counter-clockwise fashion room to room. I found this exposure on the camera during post review at home

4 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Sorry...this is all very confusing, 

So you saw nothing but took a close up picture of the shower curtain, is that what you are saying?  Why would you posibly want to take a close up out of focus picture of a shower curtain, especially if you did not see anything?

If you had the wrong pressure it would blow out....or there was a defect in the tyre. These things can happen.

Come to where..the abandoned house? Why would you take those things with you? 

It is Just a photo I took of the shower curtain, then the sink area, toilet and bathroom. No apparent visual/sounds logged on notebook I kept. 

I am not a mechanic and Hence, I do NOT know why a $200+ Michelin tire would blow out when installed 8 hours before on a Mercedes. I DO NOT believe in coincidences. I mention it as a factual record of the night's happenings that were unusual. It is the only car and time this has every happened to me in 50+ years of driving. 

Being a Christian who is skeptical of many assertions of "Ghosts" when in fact my beliefs are personal and I mentioned bringing these items in error. My apologies

2 hours ago, Regent107 said:

I did not "edit" or add contrasting black I guess to the second photo.

What do you think 'edit' means?  As soon as you alter anything, inc. contrast, you are potentially adding detail that was never there.  The point is that I was trying to give you some guidelines, in particular that if you do editing, then we need to have access to the original UNresized/cropped image.

The 1st photo is NOT cropped, framed, or any of the other conditions you mentioned sir.

You said it was taken on a D90.  There is no way to divide the D90's resolution to get 600 x 398 pixels as you posted, so it's not just resized..  It was either distorted or cropped, even if only slightly.    Sir.

If your camera is genuinely shooting images at 600 x 398 pixels, it appears to be rather broken.

It is an IN-Focus photo of a Shower Curtain which is in a bathroom with an automatic exposure setting of iso 800 (auto). F 2.3,  shutter speed 1/200.

1/200th?  With that level of what appears to be motion blur?  You *have* indeed got an anomaly.... but because the 'original' was stripped of its exif data, we can't verify that.  Maybe i'm getting overly influenced by the contrasted-up version, but it sure looks like an exposure of a second or more...  I'd like to see that original file inc exif data.  If I'm wrong about motion blur, I will unreservedly apologise, but see below...

THAT was IN focus. I do not ADD anything to the first photo.

Focus and motion blur are two very different things.... If it's not motion blur, then I'm fascinated by the shape of the white patch which I presume is a bright window or light, at top left.  If it was motion blurred, that would explain the bump and curve.  If it was not, then I'd love to see a picture of the window/light that is that shape...  I'm making an assumption here, that being an abandoned house there was no power, so that must have been a window, with daylight outside?

And clearly, my reference to the frame was in regard to the .. er.. framed photo....  Perhaps pass the comments on to your 'analyst'.  Putting edge treatments on is unprofessional and merely tells us that whoever did that, likes to edit images...

I show and informed readers that the second photo was re-posted to me. I submit it only as an example of difference making no acertions ON EITHER PHOTO. If my submission fails to meet your (which I already was aware of) benchmark of a quality photo. Well then I stand corrected and the others I have observed on countless pages exhibit varying degrees of what you describe above and In fact they show worse effects be used and extreme out of focus objects.

Agreed, and sure, if you would rather not have criticism pointed out, that's fine.  Me, I'd rather take it on the chin and improve my skillset.

Once again, I make no assertions on either photo. I only wanted an honest assessment. As I stated before, these were taken after a walk thru in a counter-clockwise fashion room to room. I found this exposure on the camera during post review at home

Are you sure this wasn't an accidental exposure - it does seem curious that you would take that image, with absolutely nothing recognisable in the frame...  And that fits in with you not remembering seeing the scene content at the time - how do you know it was a shower curtain, and if you did deliberately take a photo of a shower curtain.... why?

Edited by ChrLzs
corrected my pixel count..

1 hour ago, Regent107 said:

I am not a mechanic and Hence, I do NOT know why a $200+ Michelin tire would blow out when installed 8 hours before on a Mercedes. I DO NOT believe in coincidences.

Really? That's just ridiculous, and I'm sorry I wasted any time here.  No longer interested, good luck finding someone else willing to spend time on it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Regent107 said:

I was finishing an Investigation in Lancaster, Ca.in an abandon house off of Avenue J. Live video did not display anything nominal or discernable. Using my Nikon D-90 I like to take just normal exposure type photos throughout the house to to ID the rooms we searched. Normal exposure being that I have the camera on Auto-exposure and a ISO around 400 to 1600 depending on the light. While in the bathroom (in review I did not see anything when I took this photo) I notice either an anomaly or an entity that anyone who has seen Paranormal Witness (Season 1, Episode 3) will recognize what I believe this "thing" is! I do not want to give any credit to "It" by name, which is the main reason I stopped investigations. Because all I found were Dark, non-living, non-human entities everywhere I went. Right after this investigation (I had a female-Maltese dog with me and a partner to help) we were driving back home and the right rear tire blew out on the car I was driving. I wouldn't think anything about it except I had that exact ONE tire replaced brand new that day! That was it for me I thought. Then additionally in review I caught a EVP Growl as we were finishing....

So any feedback or similar experiences would be appreciated. Thoughts or some validation of a similar event or what you believe this is would also be welcomed

The second photo is not my doing. I sent this photo to a fellow-investigator who dialed in some contrast to see the outline better. The backing part is a shower curtain. There had been some violence and animal deaths at this abandon house. No human deaths could be verified or documented. Later after the car blow out, I hung this up and have had no further personal (never have at home) experiences. I always come with a Bible, Rosary, Holy Water, and Kosher Salt never leaving a house with my back turned to it. . Thanks SCN

ByaZRFmCEAAfDYE.jpg

Bb6cWlMCUAAvLOK.jpg

Welcome to UM :st

a couple quick questions.. where is this house located? Are there other photos available? Andy why is the upper left corner of the photo white?

2 hours ago, Regent107 said:

It is an IN-Focus photo (...) THAT was IN focus.

No/no.