Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teacher fired for giving students zero credit

The Caspian Hare

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (Circa) — An eighth grade social studies teacher says she was fired after refusing to give students partial credit for assignments they didn’t complete, Circa’s affiliate CBS 12 reports.

The veteran teacher, 52-year-old Diane Tirado, says that after firing her, the school administration didn’t allow her to say goodbye to her class. So, she said farewell by writing it on a white board.

The message read, “Bye kids, Mrs. Tirado loves you and wishes you the best in life! I have been fired for refusing to give you a 50% for not handing anything in [heart] Mrs. Tirado."

She then took to Facebook to share a photo of it. The post quickly began to spread across the nation.

Tirado started teaching at West Gate K-8 School in Port St. Lucie, Florida this school year and says after some of her students didn’t turn in a two-week explorer’s notebook project she gave them a zero, only to discover the school had a “no zero” grading policy, CBS 12 reports.

The policy was found written in red in all caps in the school’s handbook and Tirado claimed no one told her about it.

“NO ZERO’S – LOWEST POSSIBLE GRADE IS 50%,” the handbook read.

https://www.circa.com/florida-teacher-says-she-was-fired-for-giving-students-zeroes-on-assignments

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

25 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Giving kids 50% for nothing is how stupidity breeds.

Brings down the school grade point average, looks bad in the papers and upsets parents at their breakfast.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Brings down the school grade point average, looks bad in the papers and upsets parents at their breakfast.

Good. The parents need to be upset. Last year we had a high school grad come work for us, the guy was absolutely 100% stupid. And he graduated, couldn't think for himself, horrid spelling, had to be told repeatedly what to do. Kids need high standards to work towards, they need to be taught to think for themselves. If they are slower than others kids, then get them help, but holy hell, quit shipping out a graduating class of morons every year.

• Like 3

Those kids are in for quite a shock when they go to college and get out in the real world.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Giving kids 50% for nothing is how stupidity breeds.

I can understand 50% for effort if they turned in complete crap, but still went through the effort to try.  Not even turning something in though?  How should that earn them anything?

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, tcgram said:

Those kids are in for quite a shock when they go to college and get out in the real world.....

I remember when going to college was a privilege you worked hard for. Now it's nothing more than a glorified rite of passage to adulthood. You get to be a teenager, four extra years and are rewarded with an honorary BA for barely passing snap courses in how to make Bay Berry Candles. Then you go to work at Walmart or MacDonald's.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Then you go to work at Walmart or MacDonald's.

While saddled with several hundred thousand dollars in debt

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

While saddled with several hundred thousand dollars in debt

Yeah, too many colleges and not enough people who truly qualify. This is what happens when you run education like a business and force-feed egalitarianism to the witless masses. It facilitates and finances mediocrity for financial gain. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Setton said:

Soooo... what are numbers 1-49 for..? 

My Answers and grade that will be awarded

1. I don't know -53%

2. I am not submitting an answer - 50%

3 That question is unfair - 75%

4 Other schools (the suckers) - 100%

• Like 1

Seriously though I hope there is a backlash, the teacher gets her job back and whoever penned and supported this policy for failure sacked.

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 4

school district damage control statement

Ms. Tirado was released from her duties as an instructor because her performance was deemed sub-standard and her interactions with students, staff, and parents lacked professionalism and created a toxic culture on the school’s campus. 

During her brief time of employment at West Gate, the school fielded numerous student and parent complaints as well as concerns from colleagues. Based on new information shared with school administrators, an investigation of possible physical abuse is underway."

https://www.ksat.com/news/district-blasts-fired-teacher-says-there-is-more-to-story

Reading the comments after the report is a person who says they have been working with this teacher and these accusations popped up after bad publicity.   I wouldn't doubt it.  It is always 'deflect from the real problem and never take responsibility' these days.  Kids need to learn repercussions.  Life lessons as children prepare them for the real world.  If you don't work for it, don't expect it to come to you because you want it.

Edited by glorybebe
Need more coffee. Can't type!
  • Like 3

AHH, this sort of stupidity at human learning centers show that a famous show titled "IDIOCRACY" my become reality in human society.  

15 hours ago, Setton said:

Soooo... what are numbers 1-49 for..? 

“We have a no zero policy, I therefore award you 1 point”.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Exactly, schooling as a business. As a product that is sold and bartered.

it disgusts me.

• Like 3