Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can anyone id this snake?

029b10

Good no rattle :) Now, how long is it? And nighttime pic is hard to tell coloration... is it tan/brown, grey and green or darker grey, or what?

And unless someone more local pipes up to help, knowing your region a bit more specific would be helpful. Texas is a big state, and snake searches turn up general regions to look at. Like SE, SW, North kind of chunks of the state. 

Seems docile enough for you to photo. how did you come across it? Was it already on the move on the warm pavement, or traveling? And also, is there water right close by, as in classed as a water nake potentially. Or is it dry there, indicating a more land snake?

• Thanks 1

Copperhead? Or at least trying to armchair it, pics like of look like that.

Edit to add... I don’t live anywhere near Texas....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It kinda looks like a python morph of some sort

• Thanks 1

It got in house as i opened the door ( I don't know how since there is screen door before the entrance door.  Dogs on inside (one big and one small) begin attacking it.  

It appeared beige (lighter area) and brown (darker areas)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 029b10 said:

Ok this makes me want to change my vote LOL I think Rashore is right its a copperhead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 029b10 said:

It got in house as i opened the door ( I don't know how since there is screen door before the entrance door.  Dogs on inside (one big and one small) begin attacking it.  

Yeah, the brown tones make me a bit more sure about Copperhead. That’s a dangerous snake, you and your pups are lucky you didn’t get bitten. And also, good pups for apparently being good hunters. 

I would suspect you have a gap somewhere in the screen door. Snakes can get into the tiniest places, just like mice and ferrets, lol. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh it bit my dog, the other belonged to my friends staying with us, not sure if their chauchaua got bit or not.  This is the third time my dog has been bitten, and only 2 years old.  I don't know how many times they can take being bitten.  First he starts drooling, then the swelling begins; By morning his eye on that side he was bite will be swollen shut with extensive swelling under the jaw and front of the chest.  But as long as the respiratory remains normal in a few days he's ready to do it again.  .  I am worry if the chance of being fatal increases with each incident.

5bab06eea076e_Phantom7ab.jpg.71699567b37c1f66cf1f949aed94d9d0.jpg

As far as being a copperhead, it sure sports a similarity to the copperhead pictured on the right, also being about a 1 1/2 ft long.  

5bab06800d796_snake12e.jpg.b70eacfa29ff58d5167150e8fa4c05dd.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 029b10 said:

Oh it bit my dog, the other belonged to my friends staying with us, not sure if their chauchaua got bit or not.  This is the third time my dog has been bitten, and only 2 years old.  I don't know how many times they can take being bitten.  First he starts drooling, then the swelling begins; By morning his eye on that side he was bite will be swollen shut with extensive swelling under the jaw and front of the chest.  But as long as the respiratory remains normal in a few days he's ready to do it again.  .  I am worry if the chance of being fatal increases with each incident.

Yikes I hope the poor dude is OK.

Just a thought but if your screen door doesnt securely latch and seal snakes can just push it open. I had a pet python that was an absolute master escape artist once.

• Thanks 1

Could be a copperhead or a rat snake.

With the swelling I would lean owards it being venomous. You need to bring your dog and the snake to a vet. You do not know what kind of reaction your dog will have every time he gets bit.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, 029b10 said:

5bab06eea076e_Phantom7ab.jpg.71699567b37c1f66cf1f949aed94d9d0.jpg

As far as being a copperhead, it sure sports a similarity to the copperhead pictured on the right, also being about a 1 1/2 ft long.  

5bab06800d796_snake12e.jpg.b70eacfa29ff58d5167150e8fa4c05dd.jpg

Get that pup to a vet ASAP. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, acute said:

I'm glad there's nothing very dangerous in the UK.  No bears, wild cats, venomous snakes and spiders, etc.

Man I have to be honest my first thought on reading that was "how boring"  .

You get used to it. I grew up with bears then moved to the desert.  My favorite fishing hole here has a couple of resident bobcats I was charged by one not too long ago. Its good for the soul to spend some time lower on the food chain than we're used to!

But you guys do get all the cool history which I would kill for. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

We are still ruled by Lords.  The first Americans killed to be rid of that.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, acute said:

I'm glad there's nothing very dangerous in the UK.  No bears, wild cats, venomous snakes and spiders, etc.

Bears, coywolves, bobcats, water moccasins, timber rattlesnakes, black widows, brown recluses, ground wasps........

2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I use to love it even though it was shoved down my throat. There was nothing boring about Yorkshire a I still have a Romano-British bronze ring I found on a footpath near The Wall.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

Your lords treated us better than the Americans. 

See: Proclamation of 1763 and the "rules for trading"

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, acute said:

You do have adders and they can actually kill you however it's not that common, if you get bitten you need to seek medical attention.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Yeah but we caught up we have oligarchs now.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

You do have adders and they can actually kill you however it's not that common, if you get bitten you need to seek medical attention.

The last fatal snake bite in the UK was in 1975.  I like those odds!

• Like 3