Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can anyone id this snake?

029b10

6 hours ago, rashore said:

Copperhead? Or at least trying to armchair it, pics like of look like that.

Edit to add... I don’t live anywhere near Texas....

Your right its a copperhead......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rashore said:

Get that pup to a vet ASAP. 

I hope that pup is ok. I don't know if coppers can "regulate" their venom like other pit vipers. 

• Like 2

You wont believe it we do have dangerous animals in sweden there is spiders that can make you sick and the black widow has been found in rare occasions,then there is wolves, bears, elks, and one adder, we also have one of nothern europes most dangerous fish dont know its english name but if you get stung its like being bitten by an adder and You can actually eat the fish. But i am more afraid of two legged creatures. That snake looks like a dangerous snake

Edited by Avalanche
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I hope that pup is ok. I don't know if coppers can "regulate" their venom like other pit vipers. 

Yeah they can....Smaller ones may have some trouble with that but the  adults do not.....In humans Copperhead bites are rarely fatal but you do need to seek medical attention immediately! The venom of the Copperhead is a hemotoxin ....If that dog was bitten by that snake a trip to the Vet is definitely in order!!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, acute said:

In China? :blink:

You haven't traveled beyond the Midlands yet have you? 

Hadrian built this big wall, you see, had a plan to stop Scottish immigrants, like Trump. 

It didn't work out well. @Eldorado  can still sneak in and go shopping in Bradford and then sneak out.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alien Origins said:

Yeah they can....Smaller ones may have some trouble with that but the  adults do not.....In humans Copperhead bites are rarely fatal but you do need to seek medical attention immediately! The venom of the Copperhead is a hemotoxin ....If that dog was bitten by that snake a trip to the Vet is definitely in order!!!!!

As with any snake bite

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

All pit vipers are hemotoxin.  Been bitten by a moccasin and a rattler.......no fun...

6 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

As with any snake bite

Only with the vemonous ones.....There is no need to go all ape **** over a non poisonous snake bite. And just to add...I tell everyone if you do not know what the hell it is leave it alone!

Edited by Alien Origins
  • Like 2

Just now, Piney said:

All pit vipers are hemotoxin.  Been bitten by a moccasin and a rattler.......no fun...

I know that....Been handling and catching these things most of my life....And have worked with and caught enough of them to know. In the US Pit Vipers make up all poisonous snake species with the lone exception being the Coral Snake which is an Elapid....the only real cousin to the Cobra we have in the US....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alien Origins said:

I know that....Been handling and catching these things most of my life....And have worked with and caught enough of them to know. In the US Pit Vipers make up all poisonous snake species with the lone exception being the Coral Snake which is an Elapid....the only real cousin to the Cobra we have in the US....

That's how I was bitten by a rattler. At a "roundup" in P.A.

Coral snakes...meh....cracker cowboying in Florida is dangerous as hell because of them...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Remember seeing a black brown snake in Darwin and this guy walked by and said "and yes!  that snake is very dangerous" :-) yep it was a brown snake. Even got river ross fever there and spent two weeks at hospital. But thats a whole nother story

Edited by Avalanche
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

That's how I was bitten by a rattler. At a "roundup" in P.A.

Coral snakes...meh....cracker cowboying in Florida is dangerous as hell because of them...

:lol: You got that right......

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

Only with the vemonous ones.....There is no need to go all ape **** over a non poisonous snake bite. And just to add...I tell everyone if you do not know what the hell it is leave it alone!

Exactly :-) 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Yeah but we caught up we have oligarchs now.

But you can arm yourselves.  And you can vote for all your government whereas we only get to elect the lower house.  There's hope for you guys.  lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

But you can arm yourselves.  And you can vote for all your government whereas we only get to elect the lower house.  There's hope for you guys.  lol

STEPHEN FRY FOR PM!    he'll straighten it out! :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Talking of copperheads...

Sept. 25 (UPI) -- Police in Connecticut said a man who picked up a bag of trash near a park later discovered a copperhead snake in his garbage bin.

Photo: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/09/25/Connecticut-man-finds-copperhead-snake-in-trash-bin/1521537903175/

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Piney said:

STEPHEN FRY FOR PM!    he'll straighten it out! :yes:

He actually would :-) I wish Rick Mayall was still alive or Douglas Adams

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Talking of copperheads...

Sept. 25 (UPI) -- Police in Connecticut said a man who picked up a bag of trash near a park later discovered a copperhead snake in his garbage bin.

Photo: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/09/25/Connecticut-man-finds-copperhead-snake-in-trash-bin/1521537903175/

Thats the reason especially during the Summer months here in the US if you have trash or other debris thats been laying for a while do not use your hands to lift it! Get a stick or some other long object to raise the debris first.....And if your ever walking through the woods never step over a large log or log of any kind. Step on the log, look then step over or use a long stick to rake the underside of the log.

Snakes face the same dilemma has bears and some other creatures...Human encroachment into their natural habitats. They have no where to go! Copperheads being found in and around homes is really nothing new...They will also hang out in your crawl spaces beneath your house.... Snakes do not just get under things for the hell of it....Snakes are ectothermic meaning that they have no way to control their internal body temp....So when they get hot they get under things to cool down...When they get cold they sun themselves on logs or even in the road.

But then again to a snake where there is trash there is food.

Edited by Alien Origins
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, acute said:

I think his name's Colin.

:whistle:

No... its his twin sister Caitlin, don't worry easy mistake to make.. 

• Haha 4

I do so hope the OP got that poor pup to the vet. I can't imagine not getting medical attention for my pet.

Makes me rather glad I don't really have dangerous snakes around here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I thought I had posted a thank you at the time this situation occurred and I do offer my sincere thanks to those of you who responded and for prayers of those for my dog Phantom who got bit several times by the copperhead that had gotten inside my house.  Without a doubt but if not for his taking it on which not only prevented the snake from finding some hiding place or even possibly biting one of my house guests. (Which wasn't he first time to get bit by a poisonous snake)

I know that there was some concern on whether or not I would take him to the vet so I just wanted them to know that while I didn't take him to a vet for treatment, he was given treatment and within a couple of days the swelling had subsided and except for the puncture wounds in his jowl he was good as new.  

Phantom1.jpg.1771e520f2c8db27c14fe774430c0927.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 6:06 PM, acute said:

I'm glad there's nothing very dangerous in the UK.  No bears, wild cats, venomous snakes and spiders, etc.

I feel the same about Australia.