Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you live in a rural area?

internetperson

I live in rural Maine, United States.

I've never lived in a city before.  But when I do walk around small towns like the one I'm from, I feel safe. 

However, I don't feel as safe walking around a city.

So for me, one of the pros of living in rural Maine is that I feel safe.

On 9/26/2018 at 10:56 PM, internetperson said:

This is actually a big issue, I need o2 tanks at my house. It's something I've been thinking about but can't find a solution to.

One solution is to get an oxygen concentrator. You'll still need O2 tanks as back up just in case of a power failure. I don't know what the cost is, but your insurance might cover it. If not, you can buy or rent one.

Given that you require oxygen on an ongoing basis, it's something to consider whether you move or not.

On 04/10/2018 at 12:51 AM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

One solution is to get an oxygen concentrator.

Unfortunately these don't work for me because I need a lot of oxygen, 15+ cfm. 

11 hours ago, internetperson said:

Unfortunately these don't work for me because I need a lot of oxygen, 15+ cfm. 

If you were to get one that did not operate on pulse-dose delivery, it wouldn't be that much different from using a tank.

3 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

If you were to get one that did not operate on pulse-dose delivery, it wouldn't be that much different from using a tank.

Link? 

I think you're comparing squirt guns to fire hoses. I would sooo love to be wrong on this one. 

1 minute ago, internetperson said:

Link? 

I think you're comparing squirt guns to fire hoses. I would sooo love to be wrong on this one. 

Continuous flow oxygen concentrators and oxygen tanks have the same flow rates. Depending on your needs, you could get a concentrator that goes as high as 10 LPM. A pulse flow concentrator is different from continuous flow in that oxygen is delivered every time you take a breath.

I would be happy to find an information link for you, but your 15+ CFM measurement is confusing. We use litres per minute (LPM) here to measure flow. not CFM.

I found an online conversion chart and if it's correct: Amount : 15 cubic feet per minute (cu ft/min of flow rate) Equals : 424.8 Liters per minute (L/min / flow rate).

424.8 LPM of oxygen would be lethal.

2 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Continuous flow oxygen concentrators and oxygen tanks have the same flow rates. Depending on your needs, you could get a concentrator that goes as high as 10 LPM. A pulse flow concentrator is different from continuous flow in that oxygen is delivered every time you take a breath.

I would be happy to find an information link for you, but your 15+ CFM measurement is confusing. We use litres per minute (LPM) here to measure flow. not CFM.

I found an online conversion chart and if it's correct: Amount : 15 cubic feet per minute (cu ft/min of flow rate) Equals : 424.8 Liters per minute (L/min / flow rate).

424.8 LPM of oxygen would be lethal.

So could you find a machine that can put out that much o2? 

Dunno where people get the oxygen is lethal thing a nurse told me the same thing but it has never caused me problems. I really don't care about studies I've been doing this for over 15 years often several times a day so my own study says o2 wont kill me.

Edited by internetperson

On 26/09/2018 at 1:47 PM, Wickian said:

I live in a city surrounded by nothing but rural for many hours.  Here's what little insight I can give:

1. Slow response to road maintenance in the case of severe weather.

get a 4x4 and if you can not get out, stay home, the maintenance will come eventually....or.... get your shovel out.

2. Many less options when it comes to buying anything locally.

can't beat local produce or grow your own. I do not buy prepacked foods. Supermarkets in towns are filled with foods from abroad which has been chilled and do not ripen. I do not do GM foods and most town children have no idea what a real tomato looks or taste like.

3. Longer travel time to any business or shop not immediately around you relative to urban travel time to someplace not "immediately" around you.

thats not a bad thing, if you got a nice 4x4 the travel is ok. The whole point of living rural is you do not want to live next to businesses or shops unless they are  farms.

4. Wildlife is more likely make a ruckus if you leave something out that interests them.

thats not a rural problem, we know how to dispose of our waste, its the townies who do not. 

Brighton-Rubbish.jpg

• Like 1

^ For some reason 'quote' isn't working, but regarding "Some kids don't know what a tomato tastes like."

That's so true. You know what's messed up I didn't either till I was in my early 20s and on a trip in Lucca. I always tolerated them at best but in Lucca I realised they were friggin delicious. This is what kick started my gardening.

• Thanks 1

If you do plan to go rural. I highly suggest having supplies stocked up. Food, water, your O2, etc. The reason being is the occasional power outage and bad weather. Also out of curiosity, would an air purifier help your O2 issue? I'm not sure if it would, but I'm curious.

9 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

would an air purifier help your O2 issue? I'm not sure if it would, but I'm curious.

Honestly nobody knows. I kinda doubt it. Not much is known about cluster headaches. I have wondered if some type of mold issue is at play here. 

6 minutes ago, internetperson said:

Honestly nobody knows. I kinda doubt it. Not much is known about cluster headaches. I have wondered if some type of mold issue is at play here. 

Could diet trigger it? I mean, do they occur after you've eaten certain things? 

1 hour ago, internetperson said:

So could you find a machine that can put out that much o2? 

Dunno where people get the oxygen is lethal thing a nurse told me the same thing but it has never caused me problems. I really don't care about studies I've been doing this for over 15 years often several times a day so my own study says o2 wont kill me.

Nope. The most for home use is 10 LPM. Inhaling 425 LPM is like taking in almost an entire E tank in just over a minute. There is no delivery system that will give you that much oxygen at once as it's extremely dangerous. Without oxygen, cells die. With too much, they die even faster. So you need to be careful.

Consult your neurologist about your options. They might be able to help you with a solution.

Edited by Kittens Are Jerks

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Could diet trigger it? I mean, do they occur after you've eaten certain things? 

No known triggers. Diet (milk) can give me a headache here or there but not an actual full blown cluster.

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Nope. The most for home use is 10 LPM. Inhaling 425 LPM is like taking in almost an entire E tank in just over a minute. There is no delivery system that will give you that much oxygen at once as it's extremely dangerous. Without oxygen, cells die. With too much, they die even faster. So you need to be careful.

Consult your neurologist about your options. They might be able to help you with a solution.

Turns out I'm an idiot and my tank does use LPM. Maybe I'm around air compressors too often? 

Regarding neurologist they say what I'm doing with o2 is fine. Only other option is pain meds (not a viable option w/ cluster headaches) and ER trips.

14 minutes ago, internetperson said:

Turns out I'm an idiot and my tank does use LPM. Maybe I'm around air compressors too often? 

Regarding neurologist they say what I'm doing with o2 is fine. Only other option is pain meds (not a viable option w/ cluster headaches) and ER trips.

Have a chat with your neurologist about a concentrator to see if there's one capable of meeting your needs. If there is, you'll need a prescription for it.

Sorry about your cluster headaches. I can't even begin to imagine how unbearable they must be.

22 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Sorry about your cluster headaches. I can't even begin to imagine how unbearable they must be.

It sends me to the shrink. Kinda weird cause I don't need help or advice I just need someone to listen so I can vent. Internet doesn't really cut it, need someone I can sit with, look in the eye and talk to. 

1 hour ago, internetperson said:

It sends me to the shrink. Kinda weird cause I don't need help or advice I just need someone to listen so I can vent. Internet doesn't really cut it, need someone I can sit with, look in the eye and talk to. 

Verbalising is much more cathartic. And I understand what you mean about advice. There's only so much you can get before it becomes repetitive and annoying.

• 3 weeks later...

Although I like living in a rural area, I feel sort of bored walking around little villages.  I find it to be more exciting to walk around small cities.

But walking around a city and living there are two different things.

23 hours ago, MainerMikeBrown said:

But walking around a city and living there are two different things.

Agreed. My bro (and other friends) used to live in a nice condo w/ a nice view of downtown Jax. That being said every time I visited I couldn't help but to think "how can anyone live like this?" Different strokes I suppose.