Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

This robotic Rubik's Cube can solve itself

Still Waters

It’s not going to set any world records, but this robotic Rubik’s Cube that’s filled with electronics and tiny electric motors is actually more impressive than watching someone race through the puzzle in a few seconds because it can solve itself without any assistance – aside from a human messing it up in the first place.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2018/09/this-robotic-rubiks-cube-can-solve-itself/

• Like 2

Now that is impressive! 

It took me forever to work out how to solve these and got it down to 5 mins back in the 80's. I'd struggle to do them again now though as I always get stuck on the bottom tier :wacko:

• Like 1

That looks cool, but it's obviously just recording the scramble moves, and repeating them backwards. It's not solving anything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was disappointed that it isn’t using a more efficient algorithm, was hoping for it to solve in the minimum number of moves.

It took 64 quarter moves (I think). 

Lol, bit much, I know. :lol:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

That looks cool, but it's obviously just recording the scramble moves, and repeating them backwards. It's not solving anything.

Nope. He turns it far less.

Edit: He only turned it ~15 quarter turns. 

Edited by Timothy
Edit.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

That's exactly what I thought at first too.

14 minutes ago, Timothy said:

Nope. He turns it far less.

Edit: He only turned it ~15 quarter turns. 

Yes. So I guess it really does 'problem solve'.

I can't help but think it would be quicker to just reverse the input moves but thinking again... there's no point. It wouldn't be 'solving' anything at all. 

2 minutes ago, Stiff said:

That's exactly what I thought at first too.

Yes. So I guess it really does 'problem solve'.

I can't help but think it would be quicker to just reverse the input moves but thinking again... there's no point. It wouldn't be 'solving' anything at all. 

Yeah exactly, it would just be a bit of a gimmick then.

Still cool. I’m guessing they haven’t released the 3D printer schematics or the code they used? But don’t have time to look.