Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possible evidence of the Exodus found in Jordan

UM-Bot

"We have

not proved that these camps are from the period of the early Israelites, but it is possible," said Ben-Shlomo. "If they are, this might fit the biblical story of the Israelites coming from east of the Jordan River, then crossing the Jordan and entering into the hill country of Israel later."

;) 
  • Thanks 8

• The title was changed to Possible evidence of the Exodus found in Jordan
35 minutes ago, Essan said:

No.  Evidence that nomads set up a camp sometime in the past few thousands years has been found - there is as currently as much evidence to connect this with the Exodus as there is that King Solomon once lived in my house ;) 

My thoughts exactly!

All real evidence points to the Hebrews developing "in-situ" in the hills of Canaan. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

Biblical Archaeology Society,  might be a bit on the bias side.  

You think? :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Yeah no...
But this has been discussed so much that at this point bullet points suffice.
1)Egyptians have no record of it
2)The people who physically built the pyramids weren't slaves
3)You'd think if it was an historical tale Exodus could provide us with at least an Ancient Hebrew approximation of the Pharaoh's name instead of just calling him "Pharaoh". Even the Book of Esther, a pseudo-historical novella at least calls the Persian "king" Ahuserus instead of just referring to him as just "king".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

2)The people who physically built the pyramids weren't slaves

They were well paid workers who ate well and had good housing. They've discovered their living quarters.

@Lord Harry  might have more on the whole subject. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Piney said:

They were well paid workers who ate well and had good housing. They've discovered their living quarters.

@Lord Harry  might have more on the whole subject. 

Yep and if I'm not mistaken there was even a lot of prestige associated with working on the pyramids. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Orphalesion said:

Yep and if I'm not mistaken there was even a lot of prestige associated with working on the pyramids. 

They were craftmen, held in the same esteem, if not better, than blacksmiths.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Second and third sentences from linked article:

Now though, archaeologists Ralph K. Hawkins and David Ben-Shlomo believe that they may have found the first solid evidence of the Exodus at the Jordan Valley site of Khirbet el-Mastarah.

Their research at the site over the last two years has uncovered evidence of ancient ruins left by a nomadic people who the pair believe may have been the Israelites fleeing from Egypt.

Um.  Believing is not the same as thinking, or knowing, or surmising even.  It is a static mindset based on desire.

Edited by The Wistman
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ell said:

My guess is that their funds are running out and that they hope that their unfounded wild speculation will raise new funds.

Especially since Israeli archaeologists contradict their findings. :lol:

• Like 1

Oh my God do they question history? The history of Exodus is so well documented not just by the Old Testament or religious writings but has been carried over verbally from mouth to mouth parent to son since Generations. How do they even dare to question it?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, qxcontinuum said:

Oh my God do they question history? The history of Exodus is so well documented not just by the Old Testament or religious writings but has been carried over verbally from mouth to mouth parent to son since Generations. How do they even dare to question it?

Because unlike people today, people in the past could tell the difference between myth, metaphor, history and reality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, qxcontinuum said:

:lol:.........

.........can't answer right now. .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let's eliminate the religious aspect of this historical event. I think here is where the problem Lays. People tend to associate xodus with religion God and Egyptian curses. There are Egyptian historical writings, indicating the existence of white skin and colored eyes slaves from the Semitic tribes. Besides the historical part of The Exodus it's not even coming from Jews escaping the power of the Pharaoh as it is coming from hieroglyphs depicting revolts and finally expulsion of the slaves from Egypt. 

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, qxcontinuum said:

Let's eliminate the religious aspect of this historical event. I think here is where the problem Lays. People tend to associate xodus with religion God and Egyptian curses. There are Egyptian historical writings, indicating the existence of white skin and colored eyes slaves from the Semitic tribes. Besides the historical part of The Exodus it's not even coming from Jews escaping the power of the Pharaoh as it is coming from hieroglyphs depicting revolts and finally expulsion of the slaves from Egypt. 

Which hieroglyphs would those be QX?

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, qxcontinuum said:

Well pardner, if they were white skinned and colored eyed slaves, they certainly were not brown-skinned, black curly-haired people from Semitic tribes.   Must have been wandering Tuatha de Danan who later settled in Ireland.  You have been looking at too many pictures of blonde blue-eyed Jesus, and reading false claims of non-existent hieroglyphs.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Well pardner, if they were white skinned and colored eyed slaves, they certainly were not brown-skinned, black curly-haired people from Semitic tribes.   Must have been wandering Tuatha de Danan who later settled in Ireland.  You have been looking at too many pictures of blonde blue-eyed Jesus, and reading false claims of non-existent hieroglyphs.

They weren't slaves, but slaver's.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

If you eliminate thr Religious aspect of Exodus your left with nothing.

Also can you present these writings? Please and thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it is cool that this discovery was made, but I tend to agree the article is sensationalism to perhaps drum up investors.

• Like 1

Well I'm not very religious, much to my Mother's chagrin, but I tend to treat the Bible as a history book.  However, the stories probably were passed down from generation to generation akin to the Native Americans.  Events get modified, dramatized, embellished, etc. until they get written down where some more editing takes place.  Parables become facts and once written stay facts and are taught for so long that, even when proof otherwise is shown, the true believers still believe.  It all comes back to one's perception becomes their reality.

6 hours ago, paperdyer said:

Well I'm not very religious, much to my Mother's chagrin, but I tend to treat the Bible as a history book.  However, the stories probably were passed down from generation to generation akin to the Native Americans.  Events get modified, dramatized, embellished, etc. until they get written down where some more editing takes place.  Parables become facts and once written stay facts and are taught for so long that, even when proof otherwise is shown, the true believers still believe.  It all comes back to one's perception becomes their reality.

HEY! 

Our spiritual tradition has nothing to do with controlling people! 

• Like 2

On 9/28/2018 at 10:03 AM, paperdyer said:

Ee'dplebnista norkohn forkohn perfectunun? Too obscure?

Hank