Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Something moving in bed

LouiseB

There's something continually touching me at night. It feels like a small animal but I've hacked everything and there's nothing there. I get this tapping feeling In  the duvet, below the mattress and below my pillows. It started off with the bed shaking and moved onto tapping now and again but now it's driving me insane. It doesn't matter where i agm or who's house it Continously happens. It's worse in my own house and it's beginning to drive me nuts. It almost feels like a mouse or something bigger. I don't have any animals and I am wide awake when it's happening. What could this be?

• Like 1

No its it's a new mattress and there's no entry or exit points. There would would also need to be more than one of them because it happens below the mattress, below the pillows and in the Duvet at the same time. It also happens when I'm in a completely different bed. I've let it happen then immediately checked the duvet, the pillows etc throughout and there's nothing there. It started of with my bed shaking and gradually moved onto this. It's honestly unexplainable. It's driving me nuts. I'm not scared it's just becoming annoying.

Sound like a form of:

Tactile hallucination 

Tactile hallucination is the false perception of tactile sensory input that creates a hallucinatory sensation of physical contact with an imaginary object.

tactile hallucinations are transient and might occur before waking or falling asleep. A person might feel that someone or something has touched them or has exerted pressure on their bodies. 

https://psych2go.net/tactile-hallucination-is-a-sensation-of-being-touched-by-something-that-is-not-there/

Hence why you feel this in other beds too and why it only happens when you are in bed.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LouiseB said:

@moonman But does that feel like a patt or poke at your head, back etc or does that just apply to the legs?

It's just the legs, it can feel like all sorts of different things - pokes, bugs crawling, tickling. No matter how it feels, it will drive you nuts.

I'm not saying it's RLS, but something like it, no idea what it would be called.

Edited by moonman

Something moving in bed? Yes please.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, toast said:

Something moving in bed? Yes please.

Exactly what i thought 

• Haha 4

Try sleeping on the couch. See if it happens there. Another option is to soak in a nice warm tub till your muscles relax. Try some lavender tea. Might have muscle spasms in your sleep. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In addition to my above suggestions get on a strict sleep schedule, wake up this time, go to bed at this time. Whatever that need to be for you. Plus no caffeine after 5 pm. Sometimes even a small amount will give you the jitters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

Exactly what i thought 

We damn North-Europeans!

If it moves shoot it.  if it doesn' t shoot it again 

• Haha 3

@XenoFish Yours seems the most plausible. I have tried the sofa and it still happens. Obviously my bed is elevated off the floor so it's no rodent, I have also checked thoroughly and there's nothing there. I even had pest control out and they have lated several traps but nothing.  There was also no sign of droppings he said. I also get pulling on my housecoat when I'm lying on the sofa. My mum lives in a house down stairs and she gets her housecoat pulled aswell. Your caffeine theory definitely sounds like it could be the problem as I drink a lot of tea. I didn't know caffeine could cause stuff like that. I am and vitally shocked.  Thank you for your reply, I will definitely be cutting out the tea.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LouiseB said:

@Avalanche There's nothing there to shoshoot though?

It was just a bad joke :-)

• Haha 1

@Avalanche It's been checked on more than one occasion by pest control and there is traps down but he said there is no sign of rodents. I begged him to leave the traps down, which he did. He's been back to check and even put traps up the loft but theres nothing. I have also checked the duvet thoroughly even holding it under lights and with another duvet i pulled all the fluff out but there was nothing there. My duvet also has stitching in lines so ut couldn't travel all over the duvet and it couldn't get into my mattress or pillows. I think think it's the tea like the person said above.

1 minute ago, LouiseB said:

@Avalanche It's been checked on more than one occasion by pest control and there is traps down but he said there is no sign of rodents. I begged him to leave the traps down, which he did. He's been back to check and even put traps up the loft but theres nothing. I have also checked the duvet thoroughly even holding it under lights and with another duvet i pulled all the fluff out but there was nothing there. My duvet also has stitching in lines so ut couldn't travel all over the duvet and it couldn't get into my mattress or pillows. I think think it's the tea like the person said above.

I agree It might be what Exenofish said if it aint that it might be something else its important to rule out all other possibilities before you can suspect it to be paranormal. Eh should i say but things can and do go bump in the night on rare occasions.

5 minutes ago, LouiseB said:

@EsotericScienceNo I don't smoke cannabis I tried tried one puff when I was 15 and I could literally hear the bushes shouting on me looool:lol:

Okay I just wanted to rule that out because that synthetic stuff can cause a permanent sensation of things crawling on you.

When you say "shaking" do you mean more of a vibration or a more rhythmic motion? Your own pulse could potentially cause a slight rocking of your bed & in turn the occasional tapping (noise?)

11 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

I agree It might be what Exenofish said if it aint that it might be something else its important to rule out all other possibilities before you can suspect it to be paranormal. Eh should i say but things can and do go bump in the night on rare occasions.

Could be quite a few things. Mental, physical, and/or emotional stress. Too much on the mind. Medications (if any) interacting in a bad way. All I can do is give suggestions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EsotericScience said:

Okay I just wanted to rule that out because that synthetic stuff can cause a permanent sensation of things crawling on you.

When you say "shaking" do you mean more of a vibration or a more rhythmic motion? Your own pulse could potentially cause a slight rocking of your bed & in turn the occasional tapping (noise?)

If this is the case the "rocking" is probably due to muscle tension/spasm. The tapping sound might be something involving the inner ear. 

@Avalanche What do you mean paranormal?  I'm sure the dead have better things to do than poke at me all nighhhhht looool. Yeah they do go bump, bump bump in the night but if it was a mouse they should know they shouldn't ever go a knocking when the caravan is rocking. (Well in my case the mattress!) Pmsl

I honestly didn't know that tea could do that. I am so glad someone could help me because it's been setting me off my nut and I think the pest control/council etc was thinking I was bloody off my rocker. It's such a weird sensation and with all different body sizes. Sometimes I thought I was a cat underneath my mattress. I will definitely be taking xenofish's advice and cutting out the tea because the sensation is driving me nuts. Since I wrote this today it's not came back even though it was there before I started writing my problem above.  I hope it doesn't star when I want to go to sleep as it's 10:3pm over here.

• Haha 1

Try breathing meditation before you go to bed, after you've soaked. Just sit or lay in your bed, eye closed and focus on your breathing. Relax your body and mind. You could even imagine that with each exhale your stress is leaving your body, body relaxing. On each inhale you could image your mind calm, and body relaxed. Worth a try.