Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Will Kavanaugh get the nod?

Myles

Will Kavanaugh be confirmed?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Will Kavanaugh get enough YES votes?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/02/2018 at 07:32 PM

• The title was changed to Will Kavanaugh get the nod?

The Republican’s  refusal to advise and consent, delegating their authority to a female prosecutor, is the purest form of cowardice that I have ever seen. 

That’s what will burn in my memory for the rest of my life. These cowards have no business leading anyone.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Do you mean from the committee or the Senate? If the former, then yes or they wouldn't have called the vote. If you mean the Senate, then probably. Not definite but very likely.

27 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

The Republican’s  refusal to advise and consent, delegating their authority to a female prosecutor, is the purest form of cowardice that I have ever seen. 

That’s what will burn in my memory for the rest of my life. These cowards have no business leading anyone.

I'd call it kindness and consideration in sparing the woman the hell Anita Hill was put through.  I thought the woman was honest and sincere albeit sincerely mistaken. It also adroitly sidestepped the media circus and firestorm at her expense the Democrats wanted for purely political benefit. The Right had nothing to lose, politically, as--either way--the perception and reaction would have been no less and perhaps more negative from the Left. Contrary to what's been said of them, they learned quite well the lessons from the Anita Hill/Clarence Thomas hearings, just not the way the Left wanted them to learn. They swift-kicked the political ball into the Left's end zone.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

He will be confirmed. That said we are watching History in the making right now. Nothing in American (U.S.) Politics will be the same again once this episode is over. 

• Thanks 1

Accusations without proof is a powerful tool.     Ford's poor memory is tough to side with for me.   She couldn't even remember when she took the polygraph and that was a month ago. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lost_shaman said:

He will be confirmed. That said we are watching History in the making right now. Nothing in American (U.S.) Politics will be the same again once this episode is over. 

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Party Politics has always been an ugly affair. 

• Thanks 1

I’m leaning yes too.  If I believe what is happening is happening then I need to put my trust into fate and make it an emphatic YES!

Kavanaugh made a more compelling speech than Ford but the minions of evil are in play.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If just one of the people she named had even said "Well, it might have happened." Then there would be wriggle room but every person she named said, under penalty of felony perjury, that it never happened, including her best friend. Despite all the inconsistancies in her story, I think something happened at some time in her life, I just dont think it was Kavanaugh.

As a side note, I've mentioned before that I listen to talk radio out of Akron...they get a good mix of folks so it's interesting....any way, I was surprised this morning how many Dems, male and female, were calling in saying they feel the party has started a War on Men and they are either leaving the party or taking a big assessment step away. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

It’s not the Republicans that are refusing to advise and consent but the Progressives are obstructing that role.  Anyway, it doesn’t say how the Senate is supposed to do it.  They could have you ask questions and it would still be advise and consent, it would make no difference.  They can delegate their authority anyway they please.  The female prosecutor was there because the Progs were crying about it not being fair.  The Republicans wanted it to be fair and compassionate.  The Senators still have to take in the facts and make that determination for themselves.  The Republicans obviously leaned toward Kavanaugh (as they should because we base our justice on the presumption of innocence and he is more than capable of the role) but they are willing to listen to all the evidence, which happened and Ford could not make her case.  She was credible but she couldn’t prove that it was Kavanaugh that assaulted her.  The Progressives are acting like spoiled brats and they aren’t interested in justice.  They don’t even care if he is guilty or not.  They just aren’t going to vote for him because party and power is more important that justice or this nation.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, skliss said:

If just one of the people she named had even said "Well, it might have happened." Then there would be wriggle room but every person she named said, under penalty of felony perjury, that it never happened, including her best friend. Despite all the inconsistancies in her story, I think something happened at some time in her life, I just dont think it was Kavanaugh.

Literally not one person said it didn't happen, except Kavanaugh. They used the old 'to the best of my recollection'. And one of Kavanaugh's own friends, who he mentioned multiple times yesterday, even said she believed Ford.

People don't misremember events like these when it's someone they know. It wasn't some random stranger who attacked her. She knew these guys, remembered, I imagine, every day for a long time afterwards. She even mentioned meeting Judge in a supermarket weeks later and told how uncomfortable that was.

Some things, after decades, can undoubtedly become cloudy, but others, as she stated, are 'seared' into your brain. 

15 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

the minions of evil are in play.

That you see this as a political conspiracy doesn't add up. She came forward to her elected representative before Kavanaugh was nominated. She attempted to stop his single nomination, before it even happened. When he was just one among a group of names.

I have one question about this. Why not just pick another guy who isn't credibly accused of sexual assault? A Republican will get the seat without any doubt, so why this guy? Just pick someone else.

• Thanks 1

I watched the entire thing. Her story was believable, however his was too, as he had the calendar to show he only attended three parties during the summer in the D.C area, and his calendar was used as a diary.

She named three other people who were at this party who all sent in letters to the Senate stating under penalty of perjury they did not remember an event like this ever happening, including her best friend at the time who was allegedly there and one of the named by Ford herself.

Many Senate Democrats said they believed Blasely-Ford even before hearing Judge Kavanaugh - a clear bias of guilt to Judge Kavanaugh based on hearsay, and not evidence.

The Democrats kept saying there should have been an FBI investigation, and Chairman Grassley reminded them that the Democrats could have asked for an FBI investigation weeks ahead of time as well.

So what I see is he will be confirmed by the majority, and the minority will say we never had and FBI investigation because they wanted to rush this nomination. Which will always taint him, purposely making the Republicans look bad.

Even if the confirmation was halted and there was an FBI investigation, we all know how the minority will vote anyway. 100% NO, even if  Kavanaugh was absolutely cleared by the FBI.

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

as they should because we base our justice on the presumption of innocence and he is more than capable of the role

That refers to judiciary matters, not political matters. You are conflating the two. Politics has no such presumption now, and never has.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

That refers to judiciary matters, not political matters. You are conflating the two. Politics has no such presumption now, and never has.

So, politics has no moral compass? So now this is political? I thought the Democratic mantra was politics should play no part in judicial nominations. Pick another candidate for the Democratics to smear? They've already said they'd block any subsequent nominees by any means until after the 2020 election. So, you see, they've put the Republicans in the position of nothing to lose and everything to gain by confirming Kavanaugh. Ain't party politics wonderful!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

So, politics has no moral compass? So now this is political? I thought the Democratic mantra was politics should play no part in judicial nominations. Pick another candidate for the Democratics to smear? They've already said they'd block any subsequent nominees by any means until after the 2020 election. So, you see, they've put the Republicans in the position of nothing to lose and everything to gain by confirming Kavanaugh. Ain't party politics wonderful!

I think any doubt on the politics of this nomination disappeared when Kavanaugh blamed a Democrats and Hillary Clinton conspiracy for Ford's testimony. What he said was unprecedented in a process that is supposed to put forward judges who would be impartial to politics and uphold

the law and Constitution. He said Democrats would 'reap the whirlwind'. Basically saying that he'll make it his life's work to vote against them on the SC as revenge. 

The Dems can't block until 2020. They are the minority. Republicans could quickly process another even before the midterms. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The very soul of America is at stake here my friends.  President Trump has done the Republic a great service by nominating a man who stands for traditional Christian values.  If Judge Kavanaugh gets approved, the Supreme Court will swing to the right for decades to come.  He needs all of our prayers, because the political left is not above inventing fraudulent claims of sexual assault in an attempt to maintain their control over the national culture.  

May God bless President Trump and Judge Kavanaugh.  And may the Senate see through the lies and slander of the left and nominate this righteous man to the high court.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So the vote went ahead with Flake saying he would vote no on the floor without an FBI investigation. This would seem to suggest that there will be an investigation, but this was not agreed, and in fact there is no obligation for there to be one. Unless there is another Republican who also requested an investigation, the floor vote will now be split 50/50 and Pence will have the tie-breaker. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Accusations without proof is a powerful tool.     Ford's poor memory is tough to side with for me.   She couldn't even remember when she took the polygraph and that was a month ago. 

Not to mention that the alleged assault took place 36 years ago.  I have my doubts she would be able to recognize someone she hadn't seen in decades since she was a teenager.  Judge Kavanaugh's  calendar from 1982 proves he wasn't even at the party where the alleged assault took place. 

21 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

the law and Constitution. He said Democrats would 'reap the whirlwind'. Basically saying that he'll make it his life's work to vote against them on the SC as revenge. 

I disagree.   I took it as him meaning that they are going to be facing similar stuff the next time they nominate someone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

I disagree.   I took it as him meaning that they are going to be facing similar stuff the next time they nominate someone.

That's.. Even worse. One of the Republican Senators basically said the same thing. That they were going to create false accusations against Dems. I think that's actually illegal, no?

With regards to Ford, that doesn't even compute. She came forward before he was even nominated. It was personal with the man, not the nomination, since her goal was to prevent the nomination in the first place. To say the Dems somehow are responsible for her, like Kavanaugh did, is disingenuous at best.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

That's.. Even worse. One of the Republican Senators basically said the same thing. That they were going to create false accusations against Dems. I think that's actually illegal, no?

With regards to Ford, that doesn't even compute. She came forward before he was even nominated. It was personal with the man, not the nomination, since her goal was to prevent the nomination in the first place. To say the Dems somehow are responsible for her, like Kavanaugh did, is disingenuous at best.

I'm not convinced of that.   Most people expected that Kavanaugh was getting the nomination for quite some time.   Her far left leaning affiliations and the timing of it all bring up some valid questions.  

2 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Personally I believe the allegations are false. The woman comes across is disingenuous and border line senile with a poor memory.

However...even if there were some truth to the allegations. The alleged incident occured when Judge Kavanaugh was a teenager. Who can honestly confess to never having done something stupid as a child? The man has come along way since then. He is a federal judge and a married man with children. Everyone deserves a second chance. Especially if the mistake was made when the accused was still a minor.

Put a bunch of drunk and horny teenagers into a room and would you honestly expect nothing like the alleged incident to transpire?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• The topic was locked