Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the real reason we haven't found ET ?

UM-Bot

Wishful thinking.  Highly evolved life is probably rare in the extreme.  We will probably never inhabit another world for any long duration and the same would be true for other highly evolved people on other planets.  We are evolved to be here, breathing this atmosphere, under this much gravitational force, shielded from the deadlier radiation of our star.  There is probably not even one other planet that provides what we need to live permanently and comfortably.

• Like 4

Yes, I think evolved intelligent life is rare in the galaxy. So many environmental random circumstances must concur for and intelligent species to evolve.

I could be mistaken, of course. We have no evidence either way.

• Like 1

Maybe we are alone, our galaxy had ample time to give rise to lots of civilizations who should have started colonizing or contacting others. Once someone masters some kind of ftl travel they should be able to start sending out beacons all across the universe. 

• Like 3

They found us, visited the creationism museum, seen the Vatican and read the Qu'ran, afterwards they went home and destoryed all technologies available to them in case these ideas reached the masses of their planet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

DISTANCE!

ZxEBHZI.jpg

Not "distance" again!

Do you seriously believe that an advanced (interstellar) alien race would still be using primitive propulsion such as our chemical combustion method?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, acute said:

Not "distance" again!

Do you seriously believe that an advanced (interstellar) alien race would still be using primitive propulsion such as our chemical combustion method?

No.

But LS communication is still the fastest way to say hello.

To take the long shot and go there physically seems naive. For the same reason I think there is no UFO conspiracy.

• Like 3

We presume these aliens conform to human expectations. Consequently, our perceptions are being filtered by a potentially self-defeating belief. How can we expect to perceive and interact with a distant unknown, when, for example, we can barely communicate with cetaceans in their environment. What an arrogant species we are.

• Like 6

If there are other intelligences in the galaxy, why would they want to communicate with us? We're such a primitive species at the present time. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, highdesert50 said:

We presume these aliens conform to human expectations. Consequently, our perceptions are being filtered by a potentially self-defeating belief. How can we expect to perceive and interact with a distant unknown, when, for example, we can barely communicate with cetaceans in their environment. What an arrogant species we are.

32 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

If there are other intelligences in the galaxy, why would they want to communicate with us? We're such a primitive species at the present time. 

You are so wrong! You think we humans are stupid compared to imaginary aliens? We are not! Only shows how little you know about science.

We are on the brink of becoming a type 1 civilisation. It's only a matter about controlling the masses to behave better.

Better behaviour: Polute less, consume less, contribute more.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

You are so wrong! You think we humans are stupid compared to imaginary aliens? We are not! Only shows how little you know about science.

We are on the brink of becoming a type 1 civilisation. It's only a matter about controlling the masses to behave better.

I think you are overly optimistic. :) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

I think you are overly optimistic. :) 

Even with two world wars we are far beyond what our ancestors could ever imagine. And you are pessimistic?

Edited by sci-nerd

Truth be told, I doub't there is anyone out there. We are alone.

That is of course tied to my favorite model of reality: That it is virtual.

I could be wrong, even within that model though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Even with two world wars we are far beyond what our ancestors could ever imagine. And you are pessimistic?

Yes, I'm pessimistic. It's nice to imagine some future human utopia, space colonization on other extra-solar system planets, futuristic modes of space travel, etc. All sorts of science fiction scenarios.

I think the truth is, we'll be stuck on the Earth for a long time to come. We may explore other planets and satellites in our system, but we must obey the laws of physics and the great distances between the stars, let alone the improbable and random uniqueness of our evolved species here on Earth.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, StarMountainKid said:

Yes, I'm pessimistic. It's nice to imagine some future human utopia, space colonization on other extra-solar system planets, futuristic modes of space travel, etc. All sorts of science fiction scenarios.

I think the truth is, we'll be stuck on the Earth for a long time to come. We may explore other planets and satellites in our system, but we must obey the laws of physics and the great distances between the stars, let alone the improbable and random uniqueness of our evolved species here on Earth.

Civilisation types is not about interstelar traveling. It's about energy harvest.

1: Planet
2: Solar system
3: Galaxy

• Like 2

I believe there are planets out there which have conditions to harbour life, but it does not mean the life forms are anything like humans or are creatures which can build spaceships or radio transmitters.

The Universe is vast and so is time. Humans are relatively new to the universe, we have no idea how long we have here, but we do know dinosaurs were here longer than us and they never built spaceships, so why would life on other planets have creatures which can too?

We are basing an advanced life form on the human race and what we know as intelligence,  but there was life well before us...lots of it.

Other life forms can still be evolving and be intelligent on other planets, it does not mean they have are able to build spacecrafts or that they would even want to, no life on Earth did before humans came along.

Maybe there are lifeforms which live on a planet which has the resources and the (persons) to discover and invent spacecraft....but if they are at a similar stage of evolution as us, then they are nowhere near finding us as we are to them, as to an advanced lifeform??? Again, they will need a planet with the right conditions, the discoverers and the inventors and had to have been there far longer than humans, we do not even know if they are there so we can not posibly speculate on what stage they are in terms of time and intelligence.

Ofcourse we have sci fi movies where our imaginations can run riot, but.....they are only movies made from the imaginations of humans from what they know from Earth.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It also could be.. we are the most evolved species in our galaxy.. we could be the most advanced there is in our area.. 

• Like 3

I like the Star Trek 'prime directive' theory, myself. Maybe it's considered taboo to contact intelligent life that hasn't reached a certain level of technological, social, and/or philosophical sophistication. We're just too childish for the galactic community. I bet we're being studied, though.
I also like the pragmatic idea that we just might be alone, or that there isn't a way to effectively travel the huge distances through deep space. We (and any other civilizations out there) might never leave the solar system we're born into.

• Like 2

Geez.…..and I think they're already here,

I wonder about the assumption that ET would have to have evolved from scratch on another planet. Or that DNA evolved from scratch on this planet. Perhaps life in the universe is interconnected. Perhaps we are already on the path of soft disclosure at a rate to not cause panic. Perhaps …..

Edited by papageorge1

2 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Truth be told, I doub't there is anyone out there. We are alone.

That is of course tied to my favorite model of reality: That it is virtual.

I could be wrong, even within that model though.

If this is virtual reality, there has to be those out there that created us, meaning we are not alone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, seanjo said:

What is the real reason we haven't found ET ?

maybe it's because we're the most advanced life form so far?

They may have evolved around using RF frequencies and other tell tale signals by using something else entirely that doesn't transmit over any long distances. There may be aliens that are more advanced than us but never had any interest or curiosity about space, instead evolving technologies that are very specific to their needs which may be far different than our needs.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

If this is virtual reality, there has to be those out there that created us, meaning we are not alone.

i love logic-- yep exactly... although to me (& you of course) it's bleeding obvious; the bleeding obvious needs to be put forward where necessary... most of the time i just couldn't be bothered ;) 

• Like 2