Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the real reason we haven't found ET ?

UM-Bot

Meanwhile.....back to reality :-

22 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

Not a single shred of proof exists for anything you just said

Because it is the result of a personal vision and not a fixation on devices. God, too, science did not see, but it exists.

If you want to make sure, open a subtle vision and the invisible will become available to you or learn to go out of the body. And even if you learn to see the subtle, people around you don’t believe it because they have little faith and desire to move in that direction.

On 9/28/2018 at 11:55 AM, seanjo said:

What is the real reason we haven't found ET ?

Because we aren't close enough to other civilisations that have reached the point of radio transmission. The Universe is immense, we may never ever find another civilisation, not because they aren't there, but because they are too far away.

Or because they’re already extinct. Taken out by an asteroid or supernova while were still nutrient rich slime in a volcanic ocean.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 1:21 PM, highdesert50 said:

We presume these aliens conform to human expectations. Consequently, our perceptions are being filtered by a potentially self-defeating belief. How can we expect to perceive and interact with a distant unknown, when, for example, we can barely communicate with cetaceans in their environment. What an arrogant species we are.

Cetaceans conversation consists of “Mate now” and “find food”

Do you seriously believe dolphins and whales are having deep philosophical conversations? That’s ridiculous. I’m getting tired of people who belittle humanity as if we aren’t the most advanced species known in the universe. Name another. Go ahead, do it.

there are two types of people on our planet, earthlings and Terrans. I’m a Terran.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 1:24 PM, StarMountainKid said:

If there are other intelligences in the galaxy, why would they want to communicate with us? We're such a primitive species at the present time. 

Are we?  I'm not too sure if primitive is the correct word.  We do wield technologies that we could destroy ourselves with, we use technology to find planets around other stars and communicate instantly with others around the world.  I'm not too sure having even higher technologies would make us too much different than we are now.

But as to why would they may want to communicate?  Any species that is curious enough to venture across the stars is surely going to want to meet species on other planets.  I mean, we're even searching for fossilized amoebas on Mars we're so desperate to find out about other living things.

On 9/28/2018 at 2:02 PM, sci-nerd said:

Even with two world wars we are far beyond what our ancestors could ever imagine. And you are pessimistic?

Those two world wars are actually how we got so quickly to this stage.  they really sped up the development of our scientific and technological knowledge.  War has arguably been the driving force behind rapid developments in many fields throughout our history.  Just think how quick we'll advance once we start conquering wretched xeno scum. :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Those two world wars are actually how we got so quickly to this stage.  they really sped up the development of our scientific and technological knowledge.  War has arguably been the driving force behind rapid developments in many fields throughout our history.  Just think how quick we'll advance once we start conquering wretched xeno scum. :D

Exactly! WWII gave us fantastic stuff like atomic fusion and the Turing machine (which we use to ramble on a forum like this).

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 6:51 PM, AllPossible said:

Lol We are not rare, sorry to burst anyones bubble. We are too unappreciative, greedy and *******s. If an advanced alien civilization saw our attitudes they would be so disgusted they wouldn't bother. You can have 100 billion + stars with a potential 100 billion + habitable planets/moons in our GALAXY alone and be ignorant enough to make that claim. Also why would 100 years of radio technology warrant a stupid conclusion that we "should" of found alien life

That's a simplistic argument.  The numbers alone indicate that we are not common.  nine planets one with life.  Billions of species evolved on that one planet, out of billions one is intelligent.  That leads us to the conclusion that intelligence is probably not the inevitable outcome of life.  It's the rare outcome.

"should" of found alien life

'should" HAVE found alien life.

Edited by OverSword

On 9/28/2018 at 7:25 PM, bruce fiction said:

I truly believe that the human race has not matured enough yet just look how we fight over religious beliefs and kill each other

Another way of looking at it is that is advanced behavior.  We kill each other over ideas and philosophies.  What other species is capable of that?  That may be very mature for all we know.  All the others just kill for biological reasons, we do it for abstract reasons.  That is actually advanced if you ask me.

On 9/28/2018 at 7:27 PM, kapow53 said:

Maybe they are allergic to us.

I don't doubt that for a second.  Can you imagine what pollen on an alien world would do to our sinuses or the rashes you would probably develop?

On 9/29/2018 at 2:41 AM, Alien Origins said:

Personally I think we are grasping at straws as far as this alien contact stuff is concerned....I don't know how a lot of this research is funded but there are more pressing issues with the human race on Earth....

On 9/29/2018 at 6:40 AM, johncbdg said:

I agree money spent looking for alien races should be spent on keeping people alive here.

That offends my Libertarian sensibilities.  Don't try to tell me how to spend my money funding science :D

On 9/28/2018 at 9:24 PM, StarMountainKid said:

If there are other intelligences in the galaxy, why would they want to communicate with us? We're such a primitive species at the present time. 

On the contrary, we may be (probably are)  the most intelligent species in the galaxy. Which would explain why we haven't been contacted yet.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

If ET are out there, why haven't they found us?  I think it's possible they may have, but are avoiding contact. They may realize any contact would have a detrimental effect on human civilization.

Look at the effect advanced human civilizations have had on inferior ones. Even benign intentions have resulted in detrimental disruptions of these cultures. 

ET may be wise enough to just leave us alone to develop as we will. After all, what have they to gain from contact with a less advanced civilization?

13 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

If ET are out there, why haven't they found us?  I think it's possible they may have, but are avoiding contact. They may realize any contact would have a detrimental effect on human civilization.

Look at the effect advanced human civilizations have had on inferior ones. Even benign intentions have resulted in detrimental disruptions of these cultures. 

ET may be wise enough to just leave us alone to develop as we will. After all, what have they to gain from contact with a less advanced civilization?

So they spend millions of years (assuming they have attained the ability to travel at the speed of light) to traverse vast vast vast (you cannot underestimate how vast) distances to get here & then decide not to make contact.

Don't think so.

(p.s. The next nearest galaxy is Andromeda which is approximately 2.5 million light years away. Which means that if they could travel at the speed of light, it would take them 2.5 million years to get here) 

Edited by itsnotoutthere

37 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

So they spend millions of years (assuming they have attained the ability to travel at the speed of light) to traverse vast vast vast (you cannot underestimate how vast) distances to get here & then decide not to make contact.

Don't think so.

(p.s. The next nearest galaxy is Andromeda which is approximately 2.5 million light years away. Which means that if they could travel at the speed of light, it would take them 2.5 million years to get here) 

I think a problem would be discovering the Earth in the first place. Given the vast distances between stars, ET may only be able to visit nearby habitable planets in their neighborhood. The Earth may not be near enough to them to easily visit or even to realize it exists.

My answer to the OP:

Because the ET's are obviously not dumb enough to establish any foreign relations with potentially hostile governments on foreign planets --- Even though they've already peaceably invaded our own planet and airspace with --- imho --- superluminal capable interstellar starships. 

4 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

If ET are out there, why haven't they found us?

Maybe because they have more pressing issues....In other words minding their own business. 

On 10/12/2018 at 11:17 AM, OverSword said:

Just think how quick we'll advance once we start conquering wretched xeno scum. :D

Humanity will never win against us.

• Haha 2

On 10/12/2018 at 10:02 AM, OverSword said:

Do you seriously believe dolphins and whales are having deep philosophical conversations? That’s ridiculous. I’m getting tired of people who belittle humanity as if we aren’t the most advanced species known in the universe. Name another. Go ahead, do it.

there are two types of people on our planet, earthlings and Terrans. I’m a Terran.

The possibility of the existence of highly intelligent dinosauroid humanoids from another star system.

20 minutes ago, Erno86 said:

The possibility of the existence of highly intelligent dinosauroid humanoids from another star system.

Mmmmmmkay..............:mellow:

• Haha 1

On 10/12/2018 at 12:01 PM, StarMountainKid said:

Both true and not true.  Eventhough the "discovery" of Australia and Aborigines by Capt.Cook after living alone for 50,000 years led to their decimation, what Australia is like right now more than makes up for it.  Same for "American Indians", Carib, Hawaiians, Eskimo, Africans, and all so-called "lost tribes".
Yes, natives were killed, cultures destroyed;However, today even Indians have cell phones, TVs, computers, drive cars, and dental care with novocaine.  

So, will humans be eaten or enslaved by alien invaders, not likely.
No one will yell "Johnny, it's a cookbook!"

On 10/12/2018 at 7:02 AM, OverSword said:

You missed my point. Or, rather, I was not clear in making my point in the brevity of the statement. If I understand your retort, you are saying you are distinctly different in that you are capable of philosophical conversation. I don't contest that. My point is that we use a human, anthropocentric, or a you state 'terran' perspective for measurement. Measurement that is unique to us as humans, may not necessarily be a viable measurement tool in the context of other species that have evolved in a manner distinctly different than that of a human. We presume that our measurement method, hence our observations and consequential results, become the benchmark of an evolved species. From a research perspective, this approach might not be 'generalizable' to another domain and indeed may be flawed in application to another species. Hence my comment with regard to our arrogance. Thoughts?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, highdesert50 said:

You missed my point. Or, rather, I was not clear in making my point in the brevity of the statement. If I understand your retort, you are saying you are distinctly different in that you are capable of philosophical conversation. I don't contest that. My point is that we use a human, anthropocentric, or a you state 'terran' perspective for measurement. Measurement that is unique to us as humans, may not necessarily be a viable measurement tool in the context of other species that have evolved in a manner distinctly different than that of a human. We presume that our measurement method, hence our observations and consequential results, become the benchmark of an evolved species. From a research perspective, this approach might not be 'generalizable' to another domain and indeed may be flawed in application to another species. Hence my comment with regard to our arrogance. Thoughts?

Yes I’m in agreement with you for the purpose of intellectual exercise but the reality is that what you are talking about is pure fantasy for now. 

The end result of evolution does not seem to have the goal of high intelligence, meaning high like humans not like dolphins or chimpanzees. That makes it reasonable to assume imo that we may very well be effectively alone in the universe 

The real reason is,we can only look for beings like our self and like us they can not go to far in there own space crafts  like us they can go into a low earth orbit 200 miles up maybe even land on there moon and one day take off to a planet like our Mars but that is about all we can do and beings like us can do, are beings like us able to go live in  deep space and land on a planet and then head home nope,beings like us are planet confined,is it true that humanity is confined to earth with no chance of ever inhabiting a distant planet? now i would stop sending out messages about who we are and a map leading none planet confined beings to the we blue dot if they come then i do not think they are coming to say hello.....

• Like 1