Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hadron Collider could 'shrink Earth to 330ft'

UM-Bot

1 minute ago, seanjo said:

He's Astronomer Royal, you don't get that title lightly, I suspect the doomsday sensationalism is by the journalist that wrote this piece.

Maybe..But then again I don't know anything about how the British title their astronomers.

I thought an astronomer would know better regarding the claim a black hole could form and suck up the earth. The biggest evidence against it is this should be happening in nature with cosmic rays.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seanjo said:

He's Astronomer Royal, you don't get that title lightly, I suspect the doomsday sensationalism is by the journalist that wrote this piece.

For once we agree. He's an incredibly smart guy with good science communications credentials, but you don't know what changes the editors of the books may have made to make it all more dramatic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

Maybe..But then again I don't know anything about how the British title their astronomers.

It essentially means you're the official astronomer for the royal household. They're paid £100 a year for it. 

• Thanks 1

There are two Astronomer Royals: The Astronomer Royal (currently Martin Rees) and the Astronomer Royal for Scotland (currently John Campbell Brown). They are both prestigious posts in the Royal Households and their task is to advise the monarch on astronomical and related scientific matters.

The Astronomer Royal was created by King Charles II, the first being John Flamsteed, who held the position between 1675 and 1719, during the reigns of Charles II, James II, Mary II & William III, Anne and George I. Flamsteed effectively discovered Uranus.

Edmond Halley - who the comet is named after - was the second Astronomer Royal from 1720 to 1742.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

I thought an astronomer would know better regarding the claim a black hole could form and suck up the earth. The biggest evidence against it is this should be happening in nature with cosmic rays.

Black Holes can swallow Earth....Though a lot of the conjecture is hypothetical....There is one close V404 Cygni..:

https://www.space.com/7678-black-hole-closer-earth-thought.html

The first time they tested the atom bomb, they were thinking that there was a chance to set the atmosphere in fire...and they have done it anyway, lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

Black Holes can swallow Earth....Though a lot of the conjecture is hypothetical....There is one close V404 Cygni..:

https://www.space.com/7678-black-hole-closer-earth-thought.html

Black holes from the LHC.

2 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Not likely in my opinion....But opinions are like *******s everybody's got one.

Oh, well **** happens and if it does, we won't care.

• Like 1

Even if the chance to happen is thousent to millions, this experiment should stop! Whenever a country is risking the well being of others, the threat is called TERRORSIM !

I'm going to slap this right now...

The dynamic processes within our own sun are millions of times of greater energy than LHC can produce, and both the Sun and our Solar System yet survives.

The author is unreasonably paranoid.

He needs a pet dog.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, pallidin said:

The dynamic processes within our own sun are millions of times of greater energy than LHC can produce, and both the Sun and our Solar System yet survives.

He needs a pet dog.

Well, if by some chance he is correct, you won't have to explain how you got it so wrong ! :lol:

• Like 3

Wow, some people...It's obvious CERN isn't going to destroy the world. The LIZARD PEOPLE will!

Micro black holes are really just poorly named sub-atomic whirlpools, it is far more likely to have a massive chained explosion or some radiation leakage so relax everybody, until they build it really really big that is.

Edited by TripGun

On 9/30/2018 at 8:57 AM, seanjo said:

It sells books.

I'll wait for the paperback or e-book.  Takes up less space.

On 9/30/2018 at 9:43 PM, pallidin said:

He needs a pet dog.

How about a parrot or mynah to repeat everything he says.  That way he'll have at least one person agreeing with him at all times.  just remember. Doomsayers are people, too

On 9/30/2018 at 9:58 AM, Rlyeh said:

Nope..The Earth is in  no danger from the LHC...All that crap is by conspiracy theorists and Doomers.