Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

California gun sales ban for people under 21

Still Waters

Most people under 21 won't be able to buy guns in California starting next year under a law Gov. Jerry Brown announced signing Friday.

It will prevent people under 21 from buying rifles and other types of guns. State law already bans people under 21 from buying handguns.

The new law exempts law enforcement, members of the military and people with hunting licenses from the restriction.

Democratic Sen. Anthony Portantino pointed to the shooting at a Florida high school earlier this year that killed 17 people as the reason for his bill banning gun sales and transfers to people under 21.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-gov-jerry-brown-signs-bill-banning-gun-sales-people-n915021

• Like 2

Does this also means they are allowed to carry but not to purchase ?

~

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

Does this also means they are allowed to carry but not to purchase ?

~

No. It doesn't matter what State you are in, if you can not purchase then you can not legally carry. 

Of course none of these laws stop criminals from carrying illegal guns, it only restricts non-criminals (your law abiding Citizen) from buying and carrying. 

Edited by lost_shaman
  • Like 2

Well that makes sense, if you’re not allowed to vote or drink, you shouldn’t be allowed to own a gun.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Well that makes sense, if you’re not allowed to vote or drink, you shouldn’t be allowed to own a gun.

Just want to point out you can vote at 18 lol

• Like 2

Just now, spartan max2 said:

Thank you, I didn’t know that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

And join the military. The government will literally put a gun in your hands. :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Michelle said:

And join the military. The government will literally put a gun in your hands. :P

Yes, well California would happily disband the military if it’s anything like how some folks here describe it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is the kids getting their parent's guns and on shooting sprees that have been taking out schools.  They need to have string repercussions for the parents who are negligent with safety. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Thank you, I didn’t know that. 

I'm curious now, is the voting age in your country 21? 

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

No, 18, but people in Queensland vote with their feet so anything can happen there...:D

Just to add, that's a start and good news IMO (in relation to California's new gun laws).

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

No, 18, but people in Queensland vote with their feet so anything can happen there...:D

Just to add, that's a start and good news IMO (in relation to California's new gun laws).

How DARE you sir.

if we try and vote with out feet, it’ll risk dislodging the court mandated ankle-jewellery. We vote by spitting on the paper.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Some people (aka idiot teenagers who still know everything) keep arguing it should be reduced to 16, because that’s when you start earning money therefore start contributing to the country.

• Like 3

I don't really have an issue with this.   I understand the push against it though.   What is next?   There is always a next step.

Just now, Myles said:

I don't really have an issue with this.   I understand the push against it though.   What is next?   There is always a next step.

end game is removal of the 2nd, and confiscation.

i have no issue either, it will just prove to be another useless restrictions, 12 year old gangsters in gettos will have guns regardless

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2018 at 9:09 AM, Still Waters said:

Most people under 21 won't be able to buy guns in California starting next year under a law Gov. Jerry Brown announced signing Friday.

It will prevent people under 21 from buying rifles and other types of guns. State law already bans people under 21 from buying handguns.

The new law exempts law enforcement, members of the military and people with hunting licenses from the restriction.

Democratic Sen. Anthony Portantino pointed to the shooting at a Florida high school earlier this year that killed 17 people as the reason for his bill banning gun sales and transfers to people under 21.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-gov-jerry-brown-signs-bill-banning-gun-sales-people-n915021

I'm finding the exempts interesting. Law enforcement and military are kind of a no-duh in general in the U.S... and people with hunting licenses. I've been working at a place that sells hunting licenses and there are a lot of various options. So thought sharing California's hunting action would be good here.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/licensing/hunting

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/licensing

27 minutes ago, aztek said:

end game is removal of the 2nd, and confiscation.

i have no issue either, it will just prove to be another useless restrictions, 12 year old gangsters in gettos will have guns regardless

It's hard to get excited about new gun laws that only address law abiding owners. Politicians aren't tackling the real problem, illegally bought/sold/owned guns, because they don't have a solution. 

• Like 2

Just now, rashore said:

I'm finding the exempts interesting. Law enforcement and military are kind of a no-duh in general in the U.S... and people with hunting licenses. I've been working at a place that sells hunting licenses and there are a lot of various options. So thought sharing California's hunting action would be good here.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/licensing/hunting

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/licensing

A  hunting license is nothing but a certificate that you attended safety class and aware of rules. it has no bearing on your ability\right to own a gun.

• Like 1

Just now, Dark_Grey said:

It's hard to get excited about new gun laws that only address law abiding owners. Politicians aren't tackling the real problem, illegally bought/sold/owned guns, because they don't have a solution. 

they work at making an appearance of dealing with a problem, they could not care less about problem itself, but at least 25% of population believes them, and sees a law abiding gun owner as a problem.

Edited by aztek

6 minutes ago, aztek said:

they work at making an appearance of dealing with a problem, they could not care less about problem itself, but at least 25% of population believes them, and sees a law abiding gun owner as a problem.

They don't want to be accused of doing nothing to stop shootings but they can only go so far with Repubs in the way. I think you are right, though: most of them don't really care about a solution, they care about sound bites and election time.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Most states allow the vote at 18 and telling someone at that age that they have no right to be able to defend their life in a place riddled with gangs, crime, drugs and a fair number of belligerent crazies is exactly what 2A was all about.  A citizen in this country who is at an age that is considered to be of majority for most legal purposes should not be restricted from firearms purchase or ownership.  But states seem to go their own way when dealing with the Constitution and the Feds aren't worried about spending the effort to hold them to account.  If politicians tried that in Alabama, they'd find new jobs as soon as their terms ended and most law enforcement would ignore the "law" until a legislature were seated that would change.  Otherwise, there would be bloodshed.   

On 9/30/2018 at 5:38 PM, Michelle said:

True, but they train you to use the guns. Also if you join the military at 18 you are allowed to buy beer on your Base, not sure about liquor.

9 out of 10 black market sellers probably agree with this law.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/1/2018 at 1:07 AM, lost_shaman said:

No. It doesn't matter what State you are in, if you can not purchase then you can not legally carry. 

Of course none of these laws stop criminals from carrying illegal guns, it only restricts non-criminals (your law abiding Citizen) from buying and carrying. 

So if the police see someone with a gun who looks under 21 they have the right to stop them and ask for ID and a license which I think would identify them pretty quickly, which has to be an advantage.