Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wristband warns you when too long in the sun

Still Waters

A simple paper sensor featuring smiley and frowny faces drawn in UV-sensitive ink has been produced by researchers in a bid to keep us safe in the sun.

Scientists say the different expressions appear in sequence as UV exposure increases, offering a low-tech way for people to gauge when it is time to cover up.

The team add that they have produced different versions of the wristband for different skin tones – something they say is important given that darker skin can tolerate greater UV exposure before damage occurs, and more exposure is needed to produce vitamin D.

Further, the sensor can respond to varying levels of the different components of UV radiation: while UVA is thought to cause skin ageing and wrinkles, it is mainly UVB that causes sunburn and leads to skin cancer.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/sep/25/new-wristband-warns-when-youve-been-been-in-the-sun-too-long

• Like 1

How about f'ing cover up when you are going out into the sun in the first place????? The Vitamin D excuse is also pure bull****.

It is time to cover up before you go out into the Sun.!

This p***es me off sooooo bad.

Experience/Education: Fighting Stage 4 Melanoma/Cance, because my dumb ass did not protect myself from the Sun 1978 to 2009. Yes, getting treatment every 3 weeks until a cure, or until my last day. Waiting for results of PET scans every 3 months, to see my expiration date.

Go ahead, wait for a bracelet to tell you it is to late. Be my guest.

Edited by Sakari

Now this is cool. With the pictures it would be great for kids

5 minutes ago, Jenn8779 said:

Now this is cool. With the pictures it would be great for kids

Real cool (sarcasm)....Read my reply above yours.

Edited by Sakari

Regarding UV, sun protection, vitamin D from Sun, and skin cancer prevention. Please use the proper sources to educate yourself. Not this article.

Here is a great start.

https://www.skincancer.org/

Edited by Sakari

Just now, Sakari said:

Real cool....Read my reply above yours.

I think you posted as I was replying so I didn't see it before I hit send.

I meant no disrespect to anyone who has dealt with skin cancer. And I am sorry for what you are going through. My dad, before he passed, dealt with it as well as a consequence of exposure in the South Pacific during WW 2. 

I fully agree that being covered and taking preventive measures is the smart way to go

1 minute ago, Jenn8779 said:

I think you posted as I was replying so I didn't see it before I hit send.

I meant no disrespect to anyone who has dealt with skin cancer. And I am sorry for what you are going through. My dad, before he passed, dealt with it as well as a consequence of exposure in the South Pacific during WW 2. 

I fully agree that being covered and taking preventive measures is the smart way to go

Thank You.

Sorry if I came off hard on that, but this article is so bad to put out there. It is wrong in so many ways. Now that I am dealing with the consequences, I know the facts, and it hurts me to see others being mis-led.

It is hard enough to get people to protect themselves.

I think it's a good idea. Even if one does take the time and care to properly use sunblock and cover up it can be handy to be aware of how much time one is being exposed to the sun. It can also be kind of a good reminder to take a break out of the sun and re-apply sunscreen- a lot of people just apply once and forget to renew that protection through the day.

As for the Vitamin D lie on there:

You need sun protection as much as you need vitamin D. You can have both, without skin damage or nutritional deficiency. A dermatologist tells you how.

By Anne Marie McNeill, MD, PhD, and Erin Wesner

We all need vitamin D. It spurs bone growth, and without it we’d be at high risk of conditions such as osteoporosis. Vitamin D also gives an important boost to the immune system, and some in the medical community believe it can help stave off any number of diseases, while a D deficiency can open a Pandora’s box of ailments.

When your skin is exposed to sunlight, it manufactures vitamin D. The sun’s ultraviolet B (UVB) rays interact with a protein called 7-DHC in the skin, converting it into vitamin D3, the active form of vitamin D.

The problem is, too many people think that using sunscreen and other forms of sun protection leads to vitamin D deficiency, and that the best way to obtain enough of the vitamin is through unprotected sun exposure. But that can lead to a whole other set of serious problems. As a dermatologist and member of The Skin Cancer Foundation, I want to explain why, when you add up the pros and cons, letting the sun beat down on your face and body is not the way to satisfy your D quotient. Let me show you how you can have your D and literally eat it too, without abusing the skin you’re in.

Source, and rest of facts :   

https://www.skincancer.org/healthy-lifestyle/vitamin-d/damage

3 minutes ago, Sakari said:

Regarding UV, sun protection, vitamin D from Sun, and skin cancer prevention. Please use the proper sources to educate yourself. Not this article.

Here is a great start.

https://www.skincancer.org/

I certainly wasn't reading this as a source of education. 

Again I am sorry for what you are going through and I didn't mean to upset you in anyway. 

10 minutes ago, rashore said:

I think it's a good idea. Even if one does take the time and care to properly use sunblock and cover up it can be handy to be aware of how much time one is being exposed to the sun. It can also be kind of a good reminder to take a break out of the sun and re-apply sunscreen- a lot of people just apply once and forget to renew that protection through the day.

If it were put out there as a "reminder to re-apply sunscreen" than I would agree. But, it is not. It is something trying to tell someone when they could be damaging their skin, and not do anything until that time. In reality, they could be damaging it before that piece of paper turns any color. And, they may not know for years down the road.

Need to be pre-active with this ****, not reactive.

Edited by Sakari

1 minute ago, Jenn8779 said:

I certainly wasn't reading this as a source of education. 

Again I am sorry for what you are going through and I didn't mean to upset you in anyway. 

That was not directed at you. That is for anyone that reads this topic.

Guess I am a bit p***ed off and sensitive because I have a PET scan Friday. Anyway, as said, not directed at you.

1 minute ago, Sakari said:

Guess I am a bit p***ed off and sensitive because I have a PET scan Friday. Anyway, as said, not directed at you.

Completely understandable and I hope everything goes well. I will be thinking of you and hoping for the best outcome

• Thanks 1