Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
DraconicInvestigator

[Merged] The water molecule is an allergen

98 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

DraconicInvestigator

https://socialnewsdaily.com/75296/woman-possesses-fatal-water-allergy/

An article about her 20+ years prior - https://www.thefreelibrary.com/JUST+ONE+CUP+OF+WATER+COULD+KILL+LITTLE+HEIDI%3B+Girl's+deadly+allergy...-a061152595

 

Of importance is the fact that she cannot drink a mouthful of water - or her throat swells shut and she falls unconscious (shock). 

 

She has to carry epi pens on her at all times because her internal reaction to water is potentially fatal, like someone with a severe peanut allergy. 

Scientists currently can't explain why the water molecule can trigger an immune response, since the consensus among scientists is that a molecule even smaller than oxygen cannot cause an immune response.

 

Recently (last week) in the news, there was a separate case of a girl being allergic to the water molecule. She too also cannot drink water, because when she does, she gets ''agonizing sores'' in her mouth, so she only drinks milk.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6185043/Teenager-19-allergic-TEARS-breaks-hives-touches-water.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd

I don't think H2O qualifies as an allergen, if only one person in 7,500,000,000 (the worlds population) reacts to it.

It's a fluke.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DraconicInvestigator
1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

I don't think H2O qualifies as an allergen, if only one person in 7,500,000,000 (the worlds population) reacts to it.

It's a fluke.

No. An allergen is a substance capable of causing an immune response.

 

Doesn't matter how rare the reaction is. An allergen is an allergen. 

 

Also, there's several dozen people with this allergy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd
1 hour ago, DraconicInvestigator said:

Scientists currently can't explain why the water molecule can trigger an immune response, since the consensus among scientists is that a molecule even smaller than oxygen cannot cause an immune response.

There should be another reason(s). Let them find it, before we classify water as an allergen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DraconicInvestigator
4 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

There should be another reason(s). Let them find it, before we classify water as an allergen.

The most obvious reason is they're reacting to water molecules. 

 

Do you have a better explanation? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd
1 minute ago, DraconicInvestigator said:

The most obvious reason is they're reacting to water molecules. 

Do you have a better explanation? 

Well, when water mixes with other elements it forms new molecules, like saltwater

dissolvedsalt.jpg

 

I think the allergen is something that is generated in the mouth or further down the digestion channel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DraconicInvestigator
3 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Well, when water mixes with other elements it forms new molecules, like saltwater

dissolvedsalt.jpg

 

I think the allergen is something that is generated in the mouth or further down the digestion channel.

Judging by that diagram, salt water is no longer water but an entirely new molecule. 

 

However this girl reacts to water. Not saltwater molecules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd
Just now, DraconicInvestigator said:

Judging by that diagram, salt water is no longer water but an entirely new molecule. 

However this girl reacts to water. Not saltwater molecules.

Saltwater was just a simple example of new molecules being made from water. I'm not a chemist, but I'm sure there are countless possibilities. Among them probably allergenes too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
1 hour ago, DraconicInvestigator said:

https://socialnewsdaily.com/75296/woman-possesses-fatal-water-allergy/

An article about her 20+ years prior - https://www.thefreelibrary.com/JUST+ONE+CUP+OF+WATER+COULD+KILL+LITTLE+HEIDI%3B+Girl's+deadly+allergy...-a061152595

 

Of importance is the fact that she cannot drink a mouthful of water - or her throat swells shut and she falls unconscious (shock). 

 

She has to carry epi pens on her at all times because her internal reaction to water is potentially fatal, like someone with a severe peanut allergy. 

Scientists currently can't explain why the water molecule can trigger an immune response, since the consensus among scientists is that a molecule even smaller than oxygen cannot cause an immune response.

 

Recently (last week) in the news, there was a separate case of a girl being allergic to the water molecule. She too also cannot drink water, because when she does, she gets ''agonizing sores'' in her mouth, so she only drinks milk.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6185043/Teenager-19-allergic-TEARS-breaks-hives-touches-water.html

It seems very strange that someone can be allergic to water and yet be able to drink milk with no problem. Milk is mostly water. There is water in virtually everything we eat and drink. 

I don't have an explanation, but sounds very much like a psychosomatic ailment.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DraconicInvestigator
Just now, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

It seems very strange that someone can be allergic to water and yet be able to drink milk with no problem. Milk is mostly water. There is water in virtually everything we eat and drink. 

I don't have an explanation, but sounds very much like a psychosomatic ailment.

It is heavily implied she still reacts to milk but not as bad considering milk is around 87% water - a lower concentration of water molecules, and a significant amount of water molecules in milk would be ''busy'' bonded to the oils and sugars in milk. She only drinks 4 tiny glasses of whole milk a day and lives on dry cereal without milk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd

We are all 60% water, so water itself cannot be the allergen. It must be a molecule that is partly H2O.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DraconicInvestigator
6 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

We are all 60% water, so water itself cannot be the allergen. It must be a molecule that is partly H2O.

Such as?

She also reacts to her own sweat and tears on her skin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd
Just now, DraconicInvestigator said:

Such as?

She also reacts to her own sweat and tears on her skin.

That's probably a clue that salt is involved! Sweat and tears are saltwater, not H2O.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DraconicInvestigator
1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

That's probably a clue that salt is involved! Sweat and tears are saltwater, not H2O.

but she reacts to milk still. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd
2 minutes ago, DraconicInvestigator said:

but she reacts to milk still. 

https://www.quora.com/What-chemicals-are-produced-in-the-mouth

Quote

Saliva is 99.5% water, plus a few salts

My best guess: She's allergic to saltwater.

Edited by sci-nerd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
53 minutes ago, DraconicInvestigator said:

Doesn't matter how rare the reaction is. An allergen is an allergen. 

No, it needs a "sensitizer" unless there is a defective immune response. 

15 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

My best guess: She's allergic to saltwater.

Defective immune response.  You were right the first time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
1 hour ago, DraconicInvestigator said:

The most obvious reason is they're reacting to water molecules. 

So in the case of rheumatoid arthritis your bones are a allergen?

Water is still water when it has salts in it. It's called a "solution". :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd
7 minutes ago, Piney said:

Water is still water when it has salts in it.

Chemically pure H2O is water. If there is salt, it's not H2O anymore. What we need to agree on is: what is the definition of water?

Is it the chemical H2O or are impurities allowed? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DraconicInvestigator
1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

Chemically pure H2O is water. If there is salt, it's not H2O anymore. What we need to agree on is: what is the definition of water?

Is it the chemical H2O or are impurities allowed? :D

The socialnewsdaily article says she's allergic to H2O.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd
Just now, DraconicInvestigator said:

The socialnewsdaily article says she's allergic to H2O.

They are premature in their judgement. And probably chemically ignorant too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DraconicInvestigator
2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

They are premature in their judgement. And probably chemically ignorant too.

is it not possible to be allergic to the H2O molecule, though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd
Just now, DraconicInvestigator said:

is it not possible to be allergic to the H2O molecule, though?

I'd say no. The person would die in the womb.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
1 minute ago, DraconicInvestigator said:

is it not possible to be allergic to the H2O molecule, though?

You die without water, so I would say no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
2 minutes ago, DraconicInvestigator said:

is it not possible to be allergic to the H2O molecule, though?

Yes but only through a faulty immune response. It is not a allergen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DraconicInvestigator
1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

I'd say no. The person would die in the womb.

The immune system is immature at that point. What if they suddenly became allergic?

 

I became allergic to peanuts when I was 10, even though I wasn't before.

 

Most allergies are not genetic at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.