Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What lies beneath the Devil's Kettle ?

UM-Bot

It's a pothole created by glacial melt water which drilled itself  into the water table. That falls is a trickle compared to it's flow at the end of the last glacial period. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MisterMan said:

This article is nonsense.  Everyone knows the hellmouth is in Sunnydale.  

That one is closed.  Buffy was moving to  Cleveland to tackle the one there.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, paperdyer said:

That one is closed.  Buffy was moving to  Cleveland to tackle the one there.

Ah, but does she actually go there (not counting Anya's alternate reality), or does Giles just mention that it exists?  Erm...full disclosure: I may or may not be in the middle of re-watching the series at the moment.

There are two of these on North Vancouver Island. One is called "Devils Bath", it is about 50 meters in diameter and looks like a giant drill bit bore hole lake.  There are limestone caves all over the place of which I have spelunked a few. I tried using a depth sounder to see how deep the bath was but there was too many trees and associated debris from countless centuries sunken into its depths. Divers have also tried and have explored a few caves close to the surface but were stymied from going deeper due to the verticle log jam. The bath has an very quiet unique atmosphere that lends to the shivers. Local  First Nations (3 bands) won't  go near the place.

The other spot is called "Eternal Fountain" and is more or less identical to the devil's kettle. Spelunkers have gone in quite a ways but are stopped by the force of the water entering from an adjoining and unreachable chamber. What makes this cave so formidable is you have to rappel over 150 feet down with the full force of the stream falling on you, never mind the climb back up.

Both are part of the Bensen River cave system, within ten miles of each other and can be reached easily by a 2 wheel drive logging road. 

Hank

/it's my old neck of the woods

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Local  First Nations (3 bands) won't  go near the place.

Many of our legends are meant to protect people from harm. 

52 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Spelunkers have gone in quite a ways but are stopped by the force of the water entering from an adjoining and unreachable chamber. What makes this cave so formidable is you have to rappel over 150 feet down with the full force of the stream falling on you, never mind the climb back up.

Better you than me. I'll stick with hiking and my Franchi mountain bike. :yes:

15 hours ago, MisterMan said:

Ah, but does she actually go there (not counting Anya's alternate reality), or does Giles just mention that it exists?  Erm...full disclosure: I may or may not be in the middle of re-watching the series at the moment.

SHE doesn't go there. But Faith does guard it in the comics...

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 8:21 AM, MisterMan said:

This article is nonsense. 

I agree.   When I read this part, I knew it was a crap article. 

"The mystery has led to speculation that the water may flow all the way to the center of the Earth".

Why dye, why not robot, or human